The Student Room Group

Degrees with uneven gender ratios

What's it like when there is a majority of one gender? Ie psychology is mostly women, some engineering degrees are predominantly men. Do people still mingle like normal or is there more of the minority sticking together?
Original post by Itsmepoppy
What's it like when there is a majority of one gender? Ie psychology is mostly women, some engineering degrees are predominantly men. Do people still mingle like normal or is there more of the minority sticking together?

I do a degree where it's 70% ladies (I'm a guy). There is loads of mixing. Obviously people are more likely to be good friends with people of the same sex (like my 2 best friends on course are guys) but that doesn't mean we don't chat to everyone. It's good, I wouldn't sweat.
I'm (female) doing computer science (mostly male), although I'm in foundation year which all engineering and physics groups are in. There's probably a 40:60 ratio of female to male, although in my personal tutor group of us just doing computer science, there are 2 women(including me) and 5 men. From my experience, people mingle quite a lot in larger groups, although in smaller groups you're more likely to see men and women split, but there isn't necessarily a reluctance to mingle.
My first degree (an allied health profession) had 1 male in a class of 45. He was happy to be friends with anyone, so it wasn't an issue. My MA (linguistics-related) had 6 males in a class of 26, but again, there was loads of mixing.
In my engineering course, there were relatively few women, although I didn't notice they particularly "banded together" or what-have you; some made friendships with each other but were part of other larger friendship groups invariably involving guys. Incidentally because of the gender disparities in both subjects, engineering and psychology at that uni had joint social events to try and even things out :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest