The Student Room Group

1st year query

Hi all,
I am currently studying mechanical and Manufacturing engineering and I am in my 1st year now as I did my foundation passed second as my DSA support came in late. I am finding 1st year a bit of jump from foundation year as the work load is a lot and plus exams. I managed to do my science exam and coursework. With the coursework I had 47/100 and exam I had 32/100. The average result from both is 47.32% and I am not sure what to do if I fail my 1st year as I am thinking of doing another course and will this affect my student finance, as I suffer with mental health and I am waiting for my GP to write my support letter to give it to my university and they give it to student finance.
Original post by Lion1996
Hi all,
I am currently studying mechanical and Manufacturing engineering and I am in my 1st year now as I did my foundation passed second as my DSA support came in late. I am finding 1st year a bit of jump from foundation year as the work load is a lot and plus exams. I managed to do my science exam and coursework. With the coursework I had 47/100 and exam I had 32/100. The average result from both is 47.32% and I am not sure what to do if I fail my 1st year as I am thinking of doing another course and will this affect my student finance, as I suffer with mental health and I am waiting for my GP to write my support letter to give it to my university and they give it to student finance.

Contact registry or look on the website to see if an average is ok or you have to pass both parts.
I would be worried if you are struggling now then how will you cope later.
The complication is you have done foundation. The difficulty is that uses up your spare gift year, which is why I always suggest doing an access course or level 3.
If you fail then use the letter from your MH as a major contributing factor and submit a compelling personal reason claim. If successful and you show that caused you to fail they can disregard that years finance, which would make possible for you to be funded fr a different degree from the start. Tell your GP thats what you wnat the letter to reflect how your MH condition might affect your studies.

https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/exchange-blog/2019/june/going-back-to-uni-compelling-personal-reasons/
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-support/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Contact registry or look on the website to see if an average is ok or you have to pass both parts.
I would be worried if you are struggling now then how will you cope later.
The complication is you have done foundation. The difficulty is that uses up your spare gift year, which is why I always suggest doing an access course or level 3.
If you fail then use the letter from your MH as a major contributing factor and submit a compelling personal reason claim. If successful and you show that caused you to fail they can disregard that years finance, which would make possible for you to be funded fr a different degree from the start. Tell your GP thats what you wnat the letter to reflect how your MH condition might affect your studies.

https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/exchange-blog/2019/june/going-back-to-uni-compelling-personal-reasons/
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-support/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/

Okay thanks, I gave my GP the form from student finance which explains of how my MH effects my studies and my average result for science is 36.5% which includes the coursework and exam. I have a maths exam this Friday which I feel confident with as there is not too much formula to remember and I always see my study skills support teacher on a weekly basis. I think my needs assessment needs to be accessed again. Thanks for your I will not let this result give up on my studies I will keep carrying on.
Okay thanks, I gave my GP the form from student finance which explains of how my MH effects my studies and my average result for science is 36.5% which includes the coursework and exam. I have a maths exam this Friday which I feel confident with as there is not too much formula to remember and I always see my study skills support teacher on a weekly basis. I think my needs assessment needs to be accessed again. Thanks for your I will not let this result give up on my studies I will keep carrying on.

You cna also try extenuating circumstances claim and they might let you resit in summer.
Reply 4
You cna also try extenuating circumstances claim and they might let you resit in summer.

They offer a resit in May. Last year I was so motivated and kept top of my work and things and assignments. Now since I got mental health I feel less motivated and can't do it and my anxiety is building up and I cant sleep properly. Now I am just revising for my maths and plus I go gym as well which helps.
They offer a resit in May. Last year I was so motivated and kept top of my work and things and assignments. Now since I got mental health I feel less motivated and can't do it and my anxiety is building up and I cant sleep properly. Now I am just revising for my maths and plus I go gym as well which helps.

Start seeing MH support services as well, the more you can document and show you are trying to deal then the better you can evidence something. The worst is hiding and not telling anyone.
Reply 6
Start seeing MH support services as well, the more you can document and show you are trying to deal then the better you can evidence something. The worst is hiding and not telling anyone.

True I speak to my uni on Friday after my exam and see what they say. Thanks for the help and I wont give up on the engineering course as if I could my driving test and I could do this degree.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7

Hi there, I had this email from student services not sure what it means. It would be useful if you could visit your GP to discuss your well being and as you already have DSA in place. When I see my GP could they write a note which I could give it to student finance.
Hi there, I had this email from student services not sure what it means. It would be useful if you could visit your GP to discuss your well being and as you already have DSA in place. When I see my GP could they write a note which I could give it to student finance.

Whatever health issues you have then the GP can confirm and also how they affected or are affecting your studies.
You should also see uni support services who can do the same to a lesser extent.
Reply 9
Whatever health issues you have then the GP can confirm and also how they affected or are affecting your studies.
You should also see uni support services who can do the same to a lesser extent.

I spoke to student services and they said there is a long waiting list to see the mental health advisor. They given good resources to speak to a forum which is called Big White Wall. I am not sure what is going to happen if I fail my 1st year and having to repeat it like I did in my foundation. This person from my uni has cancelled my finance for 2017/18 because I was not getting support from my lectures and my DSA support came in late. Which they told student finance why I failed that year.
I spoke to student services and they said there is a long waiting list to see the mental health advisor. They given good resources to speak to a forum which is called Big White Wall. I am not sure what is going to happen if I fail my 1st year and having to repeat it like I did in my foundation. This person from my uni has cancelled my finance for 2017/18 because I was not getting support from my lectures and my DSA support came in late. Which they told student finance why I failed that year.

Only failed 1 module, if you put in an ext circs claim it wont be capped, otherwise normally capped at 40% for a resit, maybe in the summer. Ask registry if your department dont explain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending