The Student Room Group

whey protein vs other supplments

got this 'lean mass' thing for 25 quid. 42g protein 70g carbs and 5g creatine

but whey protein which gives 20g per severing is 30.

lol surely the first 1 is a better deal.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is good value for money.
https://www.theproteinworks.com/whey-protein-360
Or this.
https://www.theproteinworks.com/whey-protein-80-concentrate

Don't worry too much about whey protein until you're intermediate and need to CUT. If you're a beginner just eat normal food. Nothing is better than some eggs, steak and grilled chicken breasts.
Original post by Schutz88
This is good value for money.
https://www.theproteinworks.com/whey-protein-360
Or this.
https://www.theproteinworks.com/whey-protein-80-concentrate

Don't worry too much about whey protein until you're intermediate and need to CUT. If you're a beginner just eat normal food. Nothing is better than some eggs, steak and grilled chicken breasts.

Whey protein is used to reach protein goals doesn't matter if you are cutting, bulking, recomping, intermediate, advanced or beginner.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Whey protein is used to reach protein goals doesn't matter if you are cutting, bulking, recomping, intermediate, advanced or beginner.

could a mass gainer be used as an alternative. whey usually give 20g but mine gives 42g which is what i need and has carbs good for bulking.
Reply 4

Original post by davesantana
could a mass gainer be used as an alternative. whey usually give 20g but mine gives 42g which is what i need and has carbs good for bulking.

Just eat food damn it. Eggs contain all 9 essential proteins. Whey doesn't. Mass gainers are mostly sugar carbs.

I suggest drink juice/milk during your workout. If you need a shake just use honey, eggs, milk, bananas, nuts, grains, etc. and drink that during the day. Easy 5000 calories if have a nuts, seeds, dried fruit, honey and your usual daily meals. No need to give your money for supplements which may or may not be 100% good for you. ESPECIALLY if you're bulking. Protein shakes (with eggs and milk) are a very good idea when cutting in order to reach protein goals without overshooting calorie intake. There's no reason to buy all these powdered things when you're bulking. Eat normal, healthy food. Your body will thank you. If you can't stomach all the food you need for bulking, why even bulk? Why even workout?
Just eat food damn it. Eggs contain all 9 essential proteins. Whey doesn't. Mass gainers are mostly sugar carbs.

I suggest drink juice/milk during your workout. If you need a shake just use honey, eggs, milk, bananas, nuts, grains, etc. and drink that during the day. Easy 5000 calories if have a nuts, seeds, dried fruit, honey and your usual daily meals. No need to give your money for supplements which may or may not be 100% good for you. ESPECIALLY if you're bulking. Protein shakes (with eggs and milk) are a very good idea when cutting in order to reach protein goals without overshooting calorie intake. There's no reason to buy all these powdered things when you're bulking. Eat normal, healthy food. Your body will thank you. If you can't stomach all the food you need for bulking, why even bulk? Why even workout?

Ye i struggle to get in 3k and resort to takeaway and muffins. So i can add eggs to my shakes? Can u suggest other meals that can increase my calories to possibly 4k? Maybe a little cersion of a days bulking
Reply 6
I use impact whey protein from MyProtein, cheap and it works
Original post by Zed03
I use impact whey protein from MyProtein, cheap and it works

Ye no **** it works. I mean is 20g from whey worth 40-50-g from a mass gainer

And as the user above said i can just make home shakes and save my mom and buy more eggs instead tbh
Reply 8
Ye no **** it works. I mean is 20g from whey worth 40-50-g from a mass gainer

And as the user above said i can just make home shakes and save my mom and buy more eggs instead tbh

Mass gainers aren't really that helpful a lot of my friends use them and they said the results aren't good
Original post by Zed03
Mass gainers aren't really that helpful a lot of my friends use them and they said the results aren't good

They probs werent eating surplus tbh. Ive noticed decent gains but im hovering at 70 with a 85kg goal by december
Reply 10
They probs werent eating surplus tbh. Ive noticed decent gains but im hovering at 70 with a 85kg goal by december

As long as it works for you it should be fine
Original post by Zed03
As long as it works for you it should be fine

Just gonna replace it with creatine and use peanut butter honey eggs ect as other guy suggested
Reply 12
Just gonna replace it with creatine and use peanut butter honey eggs ect as other guy suggested

Yeah I wanted to try some more natural too but I just cba to research it
Original post by Zed03
Yeah I wanted to try some more natural too but I just cba to research it

U dont need research. Blend anything u find. Scoop peanut butter is 300cal. 400ml milk. A banana. 2 eggs. Probs around 1k
Ye i struggle to get in 3k and resort to takeaway and muffins. So i can add eggs to my shakes? Can u suggest other meals that can increase my calories to possibly 4k? Maybe a little cersion of a days bulking

Well I eat yogurt with oats, honey, dried fruit and anything else I feel like adding. Anywhere between 5-12 eggs (scrambled with coconut oil and feta cheese). Some wholegrain bread with jam and peanut butter. And whatever else I have at home like soup, meat, fish etc. I drink around 1-2 liters of milk when I feel like I can't reach my calories. Recently started drinking stuff like cranberry juice during my workouts instead of plain water(why would you if you're bulking?). I haven't been gaining noticeable weight, but my strength keeps going up. I plan on buying only natural products in the future but for now it's all the usual you find in a store.

Idk if a goal of 85kg is realistic but depending on your genetics and if you get enough sleep, you could end up 85kg with maybe half of it muscle.
Well I eat yogurt with oats, honey, dried fruit and anything else I feel like adding. Anywhere between 5-12 eggs (scrambled with coconut oil and feta cheese). Some wholegrain bread with jam and peanut butter. And whatever else I have at home like soup, meat, fish etc. I drink around 1-2 liters of milk when I feel like I can't reach my calories. Recently started drinking stuff like cranberry juice during my workouts instead of plain water(why would you if you're bulking?). I haven't been gaining noticeable weight, but my strength keeps going up. I plan on buying only natural products in the future but for now it's all the usual you find in a store.

Idk if a goal of 85kg is realistic but depending on your genetics and if you get enough sleep, you could end up 85kg with maybe half of it muscle.

In a year 85kg with half muscle is possible consider im 2 months into my first year of lifting and on average u gain around 8kg muscle in ur first year with the other 7kg fat then ill cut to 80

Man thats a solid idea. Peanut butter sanwhichs. I buy skry yogurt that has 45g protein and 500 cal per pot

Bro I don't know where you get your information but whey has one of the best amino acid profiles, extremely close to your muscle's amino acid profile. Also eggs have very little protein ~6g per large egg; I would have to eat 34 eggs to reach my protein goal.

I wouldn't recommend a mass gainer as they are filled with sugar to reach ~1000kcals. You can always take 2 servings just make sure at least 50% of your protein is coming from whole foods.
Bro I don't know where you get your information but whey has one of the best amino acid profiles, extremely close to your muscle's amino acid profile. Also eggs have very little protein ~6g per large egg; I would have to eat 34 eggs to reach my protein goal.

Well I'm not stopping you. For me, I have some chicken or other meat during the day on top of the eggs.
I don't care what you say about whey. Eggs are literally a full package of everything you need to make a baby chick grow. All the hormones, fats, and proteins are like a healthy steroid cycle. Also, I doubt your protein goal is that high. Remember the calculation is done with 1.5-2 grams per kg of LEAN body weight. So assuming you eat large eggs, you'd be well over 100kg of pure muscle (???) on top of your body's bones, ligaments, water weight, fat content, etc. Ok but no.
Lmao everyone is really looking for an easy way out with these shakes. Just eat your lunch and bulk up.
6 large eggs, bacon, chicken, cheese, yogurt, milk, beans, lentils. Easy 200g of protein if you're bulking.
But do buy isolated protein for a cut and always eat your veggies.

Quick Reply

Latest