The Student Room Group

Gcse Revision

Hey. So its jan and i have been very sick and suffer from a lot of stomach pain for a couple of months. I have hardly been in school for most of yr11 and not been able to revise from the pain. I am now very worried if i will be able to revise everything i need to know for my gcse exams in time. Is it possible to revise that much content in just a few months?
Hey! Been a few years since I did GCSEs but I can tell you that it is possible, but it’ll depend on you - are you an independent learner? Can you teach yourself content or do you need that classroom interaction to understand a topic. You might not know, but I think it’s worth a shot at teaching yourself - just don’t get caught up in fearing failure.
I missed like 70% of my gcse classes in both y10 and y11 and it was a bit of a nightmare - but I got cohesive notes, figured out what worked for me in teaching myself and managed to get pretty good grades despite everything (B-A*)
I had to drop 2 subjects, but that was because I had missed all of the coursework in lesson times and there wasn’t enough time practically for me to complete that, or for my teachers to mark it.
Thing is, forcing yourself to learn all of that in a short soace of time is stressful, scary, and isolating (and illness gives you enough of that on its own) so please be careful - don’t sacrifice your health, mental or otherwise, for the sake of GCSEs. There’s absolutely no shame in taking longer to complete your GCSEs or having to retake exams or even a school year.
Honestly there’s no point in not trying, there’s no reason you might not still do amazingly even if it is stressful. Just know when to take a step back if you’re pushing yourself too far. Good luck! And remember, GCSEs certainly aren’t everything.
Original post by leviosaaar
Hey! Been a few years since I did GCSEs but I can tell you that it is possible, but it’ll depend on you - are you an independent learner? Can you teach yourself content or do you need that classroom interaction to understand a topic. You might not know, but I think it’s worth a shot at teaching yourself - just don’t get caught up in fearing failure.
I missed like 70% of my gcse classes in both y10 and y11 and it was a bit of a nightmare - but I got cohesive notes, figured out what worked for me in teaching myself and managed to get pretty good grades despite everything (B-A*)
I had to drop 2 subjects, but that was because I had missed all of the coursework in lesson times and there wasn’t enough time practically for me to complete that, or for my teachers to mark it.
Thing is, forcing yourself to learn all of that in a short soace of time is stressful, scary, and isolating (and illness gives you enough of that on its own) so please be careful - don’t sacrifice your health, mental or otherwise, for the sake of GCSEs. There’s absolutely no shame in taking longer to complete your GCSEs or having to retake exams or even a school year.
Honestly there’s no point in not trying, there’s no reason you might not still do amazingly even if it is stressful. Just know when to take a step back if you’re pushing yourself too far. Good luck! And remember, GCSEs certainly aren’t everything.

Wow thankyou so much!! I really agree with everything you said. You really boosted my confidence and well done on your results!! X

Quick Reply

Latest