The Student Room Group

Individual candidate, where does my referee put in the reference and predicted grades

I am in the process of finishing my application and I have received an email from my referee saying she has finished writing the reference letter and has put in on UCAS. I've heard that reference letters can only be attached to an application once the application has been completed and sent to the referee, is that true? If it is then what does she mean she has put in on UCAS? I'm scared she has sent off the reference letter somehow without an application and idk that does sound completely illogic and maybe I'm just panicking with the deadline coming so fast!

Same thing for the predicted grades, I'm assuming she can only complete them when I send her my application?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by crushmeii
I am in the process of finishing my application and I have received an email from my referee saying she has finished writing the reference letter and has put in on UCAS. I've heard that reference letters can only be attached to an application once the application has been completed and sent to the referee, is that true? If it is then what does she mean she has put in on UCAS? I'm scared she has sent off the reference letter somehow without an application and idk that does sound completely illogic and maybe I'm just panicking with the deadline coming so fast!

Same thing for the predicted grades, I'm assuming she can only complete them when I send her my application?

Did you put in her contact details in Apply? As soon as you do this UCAS will email her with details on how she can login and add her reference to your application.

Does the "Reference" section on the left hand side of your Apply screen have a tick next to it?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Did you put in her contact details in Apply? As soon as you do this UCAS will email her with details on how she can login and add her reference to your application.

Does the "Reference" section on the left hand side of your Apply screen have a tick next to it?

Yes I put in her contact details and the reference section does have a tick next to it, that means she has access to my application and I don't need to somehow send her anything, she can add the reference letter and predicted grades at any time?
Yes I put in her contact details and the reference section does have a tick next to it, that means she has access to my application and I don't need to somehow send her anything, she can add the reference letter and predicted grades at any time?

That means she has added your reference and predicted grades. You can send your application to ucas now - it’s complete.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
That means she has added your reference and predicted grades. You can send your application to ucas now - it’s complete.

Oh okay! Thank you!

If you go on UCAS and go to the section at the bottom of the list on the left (pretty sure it sets help or options or something?) or if you go into the reference section you should be able to select ‘request a reference only from your 6th form or college.’ This allows them to attach a reference and the application DOESN’T have to be finished because you send it off your self. Be very sure you pick this option though. Did you already request a reference from her? Is the box is ticked on the reference section now she did manage to actually attach it to your UCAS application.
Reply 6
Original post by chloebird
If you go on UCAS and go to the section at the bottom of the list on the left (pretty sure it sets help or options or something?) or if you go into the reference section you should be able to select ‘request a reference only from your 6th form or college.’ This allows them to attach a reference and the application DOESN’T have to be finished because you send it off your self. Be very sure you pick this option though. Did you already request a reference from her? Is the box is ticked on the reference section now she did manage to actually attach it to your UCAS application.

I didn't see any option stating 'request a reference only from your 6th form or college', I simply put in the contact information of my teacher and waited. I don't remember if the reference box was ticked from the beginning or not but it is now, so I guess she attached it successfully and I can send off my application.
I didn't see any option stating 'request a reference only from your 6th form or college', I simply put in the contact information of my teacher and waited. I don't remember if the reference box was ticked from the beginning or not but it is now, so I guess she attached it successfully and I can send off my application.

That person is describing the options you see if you apply through a sixth form (with a buzzword). If you apply as an individual the options are different and you add the contact details for your referee and UCAS email them with a link to add your reference.
Original post by PQ
That person is describing the options you see if you apply through a sixth form (with a buzzword). If you apply as an individual the options are different and you add the contact details for your referee and UCAS email them with a link to add your reference.

No, I’m not. I’m an independent candidate too. She did this at some point but evidently doesn’t remember requesting a reference.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ

Ok thank you, however I'm a bit confused, do you know if for the French Baccalaureate my reference needs to put in a grade for each subject that I'm taking? I heard she should receive a list of all the subjects I have entered as pending, but she didn't and only wrote 'highest honors' as a predicted grade. Is that ok?
Ok thank you, however I'm a bit confused, do you know if for the French Baccalaureate my reference needs to put in a grade for each subject that I'm taking? I heard she should receive a list of all the subjects I have entered as pending, but she didn't and only wrote 'highest honors' as a predicted grade. Is that ok?

That will be fine. If universities need more information then they'll ask for it:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
That will be fine. If universities need more information then they'll ask for it:smile:

Are you sure? Will some universities be lazy and see that I don't have actual predicted grades and not bother asking and reject me? I'm sorry I'm really stressed about this!!
Are you sure? Will some universities be lazy and see that I don't have actual predicted grades and not bother asking and reject me? I'm sorry I'm really stressed about this!!

No they wont be lazy - not for a student from outside the UK.
Even the pickiest universities want the best applicants - they wont rule you out because you are from outside the UK and had less support with UCAS.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
No they wont be lazy - not for a student from outside the UK.
Even the pickiest universities want the best applicants - they wont rule you out because you are from outside the UK and had less support with UCAS.

Ok thank you! Last question, if for example a course I'm interested in requires I achieve 14/20, and that I am predicted 16/20 but get 15/20, will that be a problem and I risk not getting in because I didn't achieve my predicted grade despite being over the entry requirement?
Ok thank you! Last question, if for example a course I'm interested in requires I achieve 14/20, and that I am predicted 16/20 but get 15/20, will that be a problem and I risk not getting in because I didn't achieve my predicted grade despite being over the entry requirement?

If your offer conditions state that you need 14/20 then as long as you get 14/20 or more you will meet those conditions.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
If your offer conditions state that you need 14/20 then as long as you get 14/20 or more you will meet those conditions.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending