The Student Room Group
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University

Electrical Power Engineering/ HND Electrical Engineering

Hi guys,

I'm planning to take HND Electrical Eng'g for this mid of 2020 in City of Glasgow College and if I managed to finished this I can be eligible to continue for Uni in Caledonian for EPE course.

Kindly share your thoughts and experience please? (i.e. -Did some of you took the Uni straight away or better if HND first just in case you wanted to land for a job quickly. -Which better college/uni for Electrical Engineering. etc..

Many thanks in advance guys.
I’m guessing a HND is a BTEC course, so essentially aim for the highest grades. Shouldn’t be to hard as it’s course work base along side practical work. Yes you can go and study further most universities for engineering courses except BTEC as entry requirements.

In regards for work, depends on what you want to do. Like for example someone who wants to do electrical engineering finds an apprenticeship and works his or her way up. After 3-4 years of working they would be in a better position the someone who may have studied in university. Plus they would earn wages ect through out those years. And like I said depends what Job roll you’re looking for. If it’s something more technical within the engineering field that requires a degree for the position. Then yes university would be worth it. So find out what exactly you would like to do career wise (sector).
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University
Reply 2
Original post by PizzaBoi
I’m guessing a HND is a BTEC course, so essentially aim for the highest grades. Shouldn’t be to hard as it’s course work base along side practical work. Yes you can go and study further most universities for engineering courses except BTEC as entry requirements.

In regards for work, depends on what you want to do. Like for example someone who wants to do electrical engineering finds an apprenticeship and works his or her way up. After 3-4 years of working they would be in a better position the someone who may have studied in university. Plus they would earn wages ect through out those years. And like I said depends what Job roll you’re looking for. If it’s something more technical within the engineering field that requires a degree for the position. Then yes university would be worth it. So find out what exactly you would like to do career wise (sector).

Hi Bud, thanks for the comment..

Yes I'm looking for more technical position and my work experience I believe will help me to qualify the HNC. Planning to be involved in Power industry a technician may be first after finishing HND and then targeting way up to be a like design engineer but i must finished a Uni too for this position.
No worries, just check out entry requirements pages on the university that you want to attend. It will have a break down of what’s needed i’e 3 A levels at ABB including a science subject. Or BTEC in engineering at D*DD including a B in maths GCSE, you get the idea. It’s very doable, best of luck!
Reply 4
I done a HND in electrical engineering and am now currently doing the EPE course at caledonian and am glad i done the HND as i feel it gave good background knowledge before starting the degree
Reply 5
Original post by kwatt113
I done a HND in electrical engineering and am now currently doing the EPE course at caledonian and am glad i done the HND as i feel it gave good background knowledge before starting the degree

Oh, congrats kwatt113 well done for getting to uni from HND. Yes you have a point there and I think the HNC/HND comes with at least practical works for EE to appreciate the course. I hope you dont mind asking you about HNC/HNDs Electrical Engineering courses in Glasgow. I will send you PM
Cheers,
:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Marklelle
Oh, congrats kwatt113 well done for getting to uni from HND. Yes you have a point there and I think the HNC/HND comes with at least practical works for EE to appreciate the course. I hope you dont mind asking you about HNC/HNDs Electrical Engineering courses in Glasgow. I will send you PM
Cheers,
:smile:

Thank you currently in 4th year, i found the practical was only used in one class we had in 3rd year but the most useful was the basic knowledge gained which was developed and added to at uni
My husband is in his 3rd year of EPE at Glasgow Cal and he left college after his HNC as he wanted to get used to the pace of uni from the first year to give himself a couple of years to adjust to the amount and level of work (as your grades from 3rd and 4th year define your classification, weighted heavier on 4th year obvi). He's done exceptionally well marks wise (70-80's+) and has never once regretted the order he has done it in.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by kwatt113
Thank you currently in 4th year, i found the practical was only used in one class we had in 3rd year but the most useful was the basic knowledge gained which was developed and added to at uni

Hi kwatt113,

I wish all is well up in Scotland. Buy the way, hope you dont mind asking buddy about the hours and days for each week in EPE uni? I was accepted in Caledonian this coming 1st year and trying weigh-up everything between HNC vs Uni for the fisrt 2 years.. cheers
Reply 9
Original post by Marklelle
Hi kwatt113,

I wish all is well up in Scotland. Buy the way, hope you dont mind asking buddy about the hours and days for each week in EPE uni? I was accepted in Caledonian this coming 1st year and trying weigh-up everything between HNC vs Uni for the fisrt 2 years.. cheers

The days and times change for each semester but for 3rd year we were in 3 days a week of classes and the days were mostly 9-4pm with a hour or 2 of a break. 4th was the same but in semester B of 4th year its been 5 days a week with only 2 or 3 hours of classes each day with big gaps between them.

Hope this helps
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending