The Student Room Group

What is med school like?

Like study wise, friends, social life the type of people there. I'm just curious and wan't to know if its the right place for me :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LeahStarX
Like study wise, friends, social life the type of people there. I'm just curious and wan't to know if its the right place for me :smile:

It is a different experience for everyone as everyone is different. Nobody can tell you if it is for you as nobody knows anything about you
There are lots of blogs etc out there to read. Everyone is different, as stated.
Reply 3
Pretty damn boring.

Agree with above, plenty of blogs out there. Also some youtubers who vlog their days in medical school and chat about their experiences.

Some examples:
Year 3 KCL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoU2maQX8JiQ9DTuhOVz5g

Year 4
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUu64gYXG6IxLykJwIn_LKw

Year 5 St Georges
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFTxn6ULbnfScq_8BSXFWcg
Original post by Angury
Pretty damn boring.

Agree with above, plenty of blogs out there. Also some youtubers who vlog their days in medical school and chat about their experiences.

Some examples:
Year 3 KCL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoU2maQX8JiQ9DTuhOVz5g

Year 4
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUu64gYXG6IxLykJwIn_LKw

Year 5 St Georges
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFTxn6ULbnfScq_8BSXFWcg

Thankyou!
Reply 5
How stressful is med school? Is it really more difficult than Biomed science?
Reply 6
Thanks ecolier. Is it important to have friends at uni?
Reply 7
How do you cope with stress? How long have you wanted to go into your speciality? I heard some people know before day 1 and others still don’t know after graduating.
Reply 8
Thank you! :h:
I think Med School is great, but there are some people that will get on your nerves
Reply 10
Original post by HumblyBumbly
I think Med School is great, but there are some people that will get on your nerves

Are you a student? And I think that’s a given. No one can get along with everyone.
Original post by Lostx
How stressful is med school? Is it really more difficult than Biomed science?

I find medical school stressful for 2 reasons, and neither is the difficulty of the content:
1) the time pressure. this is more evident in clinical years when you are expected to attend long 8-5 placement days and also study for various exams. this is not often the case with other courses. you have to factor in travel time as often placements are a fair distance away as well.
2) the expectation. from day one you become acutely aware (even if it is just subconsciously) that there is now an expectation on you to be professional, to take responsibility for decisions and to know what your talking about (or appear that way anyway even if you don't). this for me was th hardest because I couldn't just sit in lectures and face into the background.

I do think Friends are key to get through things if your the kind of person that thrives in that way, support is really important but it doesn't matter whether that comes from friends or family etc.

as for speciality, I have 7 really good friends at medical school (so 8 if you include me). 1 of us has always known the speciality they wanted to go into, 2 of us are now (in final year) pretty sure about what we want to do. the other 5 have ideas of what they don't like and what they prefer (e.g. one knows definetly not surgery, and another says she wants sometimes more acute focussed) - I would say that small population is pretty representative of most medical schools. very few know straight away, some know when they graduate but most won't know until they become a doctor and have done some work.
Med school is good fun. Just remember not to let being a medical student become your whole personality because there are some people on my course who have and ****ing hell.
Original post by Lostx
Are you a student? And I think that’s a given. No one can get along with everyone.

Yeah I am. Medical student.
Reply 14
Do you have any regrets? Would you like to turn back time and study a different degree or done something completely different with your life?
Reply 15
Original post by Mutmit287
I find medical school stressful for 2 reasons, and neither is the difficulty of the content:
1) the time pressure. this is more evident in clinical years when you are expected to attend long 8-5 placement days and also study for various exams. this is not often the case with other courses. you have to factor in travel time as often placements are a fair distance away as well.
2) the expectation. from day one you become acutely aware (even if it is just subconsciously) that there is now an expectation on you to be professional, to take responsibility for decisions and to know what your talking about (or appear that way anyway even if you don't). this for me was th hardest because I couldn't just sit in lectures and face into the background.

I do think Friends are key to get through things if your the kind of person that thrives in that way, support is really important but it doesn't matter whether that comes from friends or family etc.

as for speciality, I have 7 really good friends at medical school (so 8 if you include me). 1 of us has always known the speciality they wanted to go into, 2 of us are now (in final year) pretty sure about what we want to do. the other 5 have ideas of what they don't like and what they prefer (e.g. one knows definetly not surgery, and another says she wants sometimes more acute focussed) - I would say that small population is pretty representative of most medical schools. very few know straight away, some know when they graduate but most won't know until they become a doctor and have done some work.

Do many med students have mental illnesses?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by HumblyBumbly
Yeah I am. Medical student.

Did you get in first time? What year are you in now?
Reply 17
Original post by doc.90s
Med school is good fun. Just remember not to let being a medical student become your whole personality because there are some people on my course who have and ****ing hell.

So are you saying to not get sucked into the medicalisation of students on Medicine courses? Is it best to not forget your roots?
Original post by Lostx
Did you get in first time? What year are you in now?

YES and 4th :smile:
I think that whether or not you enjoy yourself is only partially determined by the nature of what you are doing. It is natural human behaviour to overlook what they have and desire what they do not have. More specifically, a medical student may think "Med school is so boring everyone here is dull. If I were to study Law then I would be so badass. I would have the coolest punchlines and coolest friends..." I would like to emphatically iterate the point that if you engage in the mindset of aspiring to be the best and are capable of looking beyond stereotypical vibes by possessing the ability to pioneer and not simply following the thousands before you, you will enjoy whatever it is you are doing.

wallahi that was some next level advice. I never expected that to come out of me

Quick Reply

Latest