My mum lied about her age Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So she always told me she was born in 1972
However when we went to the hospital today she had to confirm her date of birth, she told them the same month and day I was told, but 1968. Making her 4 years older. I don't know the exact age of her siblings but I'm sure it would make her the 3rd youngest of 7 siblings not the 2nd youngest too, as she said her brother is 3 years older.

I don't understand why she would do this? Confused, and losing trust in everyone
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many women lie about their age especially the ones from age 30-60 normally its about a 2-4 year difference. Not unusual at all
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s immature and silly to lie to your own children about your age, but she’s clearly just insecure. A lot of women (and men) lie about their age, so I wouldn’t lose faith in humanity because of it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I just find it weird, I'm her daughter, her age has no significance to me. I get women lie about their age to others but why me?

Also my Dad is 13 / 9 years older than her, they're still together, so it's not even like she would've needed to lie to him about her age as the gap is big anyway
XKangaotiCX
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zed03)
Many women lie about their age especially the ones from age 30-60 normally its about a 2-4 year difference. Not unusual at all
Bit different if it's your mum though
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I just ask, why you think it matters? If you never know her age, what difference will it make to your life and relationship with your mother?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Can I just ask, why you think it matters? If you never know her age, what difference will it make to your life and relationship with your mother?
Well yeah it doesn't matter too much but I just find it weird, also in case of emergency it might sound bad I don't know my mum's birthday
ineedareference
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sad
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just find it weird, I'm her daughter, her age has no significance to me. I get women lie about their age to others but why me?

Also my Dad is 13 / 9 years older than her, they're still together, so it's not even like she would've needed to lie to him about her age as the gap is big anyway
If she originally lied to your dad when dating him then it was probably to remain consistency in her story. Although you'd think the truth would have come out years ago.
joelyyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
However when we went to the hospital today she had to confirm her date of birth, she told them the same month and day I was told, but 1968. Making her 4 years older. I don't know the exact age of her siblings but I'm sure it would make her the 3rd youngest of 7 siblings not the 2nd youngest too, as she said her brother is 3 years older.

I don't understand why she would do this? Confused, and losing trust in everyone
Maybe she was just a pathological liar, it probably doesn't mean too much
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by joelyyy)
Maybe she was just a pathological liar, it probably doesn't mean too much
I’m sure that’s very comforting to the OP.

Society does judge you for your age. I’m in my 30s and people think I’m younger, but I always feel judged when people find out. I don’t lie about my age, but I don’t go out of my way to tell people either. Your mum probably just lied to someone once and it was easy for her to continue the lie. She probably started to believe it herself.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well yeah it doesn't matter too much but I just find it weird, also in case of emergency it might sound bad I don't know my mum's birthday
Not really, just say she's a funny bugger when it comes to age, tell the medical staff the story. Trust me it wont be the first time they have heard it, probably in the week nevermind full stop.

There is several reasons, I'm not normally big on playing a victims but let's be honest society's full of stereotypes, a young pretty women is treated very differently to a average middle aged woman. The same for men also but its it's different prejudices we face.

What I'm saying is, what does it matter? I can tell you a story about my grandad, which sounds bonkers and you would never get away with it in modern time. He effectively swapped identity with his bother, so he could work longer and his brother could retire earlier. This led to secretary over his age, mum never knew how old his was until he died. And the death cert said a different name lol

Families are weird, people are weird, dont worry about it. Love your mum and let her love you. Age is nothing
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 month ago
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I only found out my mum and dads age by accident.

each time i asked them they lied or said they was 21
Last edited by ANM775; 1 month ago
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
I really wouldn't lose trust in everyone so soon, if I were you! Mums are funny, full stop. I presume she doesn't lie about loving you, since you were at the hospital with her today you two must be close. It seems like a little vanity / insecurity. Let it go, then have a chat with her about it later, at a neutral time.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I suppose it's fairly common for women to lie about their age, especially when they're getting older and can become more self-conscious, but it's weird to lie about it to their children. Understandable if it's someone they're interested in romantically/sexually but your child isn't going to care what age their mum is.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I suppose it's fairly common for women to lie about their age, especially when they're getting older and can become more self-conscious, but it's weird to lie about it to their children. Understandable if it's someone they're interested in romantically/sexually but your child isn't going to care what age their mum is.
that was a mistake repping you. I'm on my phone and meant to scroll but the screen held and tapped.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Erm anyway

I wonder what else she's hiding from you :ashamed2:
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
that was a mistake repping you. I'm on my phone and meant to scroll but the screen held and tapped.
Genuinely heartbroken
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Genuinely heartbroken
:rofl:
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Genuinely heartbroken
It's less for you to know
And more for onlookers to know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.31%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.65%
No- I want it (89)
27.05%
No- I don't want it (23)
6.99%

Watched Threads