The Student Room Group

Degree we go again: a distance learning blog

Scroll to see replies

Update 7:
So everything is going to plan and I ve finished the content for topic 2.
I just started TMA 2 yesterday and it's been so long since I wrote anything more than 100 words on a topic and it used to be my problem was I wasn't concise enough but do far I just got 200 words down for a 250 word question which I m really not used to doing as I waffle so much.
So I m leaving the question as is and going back to it for now. I might be able to do the assignment (except the one question I can't do until the first TMA is marked) by the end of the week but I m working Saturday morning.

I also have to hand draw a line graph which as you can suspect even with rulers I m not great at that
so I ll see how it goes before I ask if I can just drop the marks and do it in excel instead/ if that counts as an adjustment.
(edited 4 years ago)
Update 8:
So i've managed to do all but one question of TMA 2 (i have to write about feedback for TMA 1 which i've not submitted yet). I've also had an introductory email from my tutor this week and a PDP I had to do marked by her, she marks in purple so I like her already and she had all positive comments and one change I need to make.

I managed to do a half decent line graph so quite pleased with that and I've been using grammarly which I've found helpful to tell me when I'm missing comma in sentences, i may consider buying a subscription unless DSA lets me have one or i actually get a dyslexia tutor that works weekends/ evenings . I have my needs assessment finally sorted for when I'm off for a week monday so i'll see what the situation is with getting a dyslexia tutor when i can't go to meet them in office hours, i'll happily have one that does skype meetings as an alternative.

I also have an introductory online tutorial booked for next monday to meet my tutor. The day school dates got released this week and I'm able to go to my first day school at the end of the month which i m quite pleased about. There were two options which I could go to nearby but one it turns out is more out of the city than i thought so i can't go to the one where my tutor will be attending so instead going to the other one in manchester which is just two buses and one train to get there in total which will probably be an hour and a half travel for a saturday morning so not too bad. I've not decided what I will do for notetaking whether I'll ask just to record it or take my laptop and record it with a bit of typing as i can never type and listen as well as the "average" person.

Tomorrow, the tutor group forum opens up so i can do some activities on my list of ones I couldn't do yet this week. I'm also going to start topic 3 which is on pain this week, I can't remember much at all about the nervous system so i feel like this might be harder than topic 1 and 2 as i could remember a lot of stuff i learnt years ago.
Oooh marking in purple! Never come across a uni tutor who does that - sounds promising :biggrin:

Good luck with refreshing your memory about the nervous system - you seem to be doing really well so far! Keep going :rave:
Update 9:
So I'm finding it hard to get my head around action potentials but otherwise it's been a good week, despite having to skip studying one night and having a day off due to having a cold.

Had the first online tutorial last night which was great. I also had my needs assessment in the morning and they agreed that I can have an hour with a dyslexia tutor every fortnight and that they will only put quotes for people that use skype and offer evenings or weekend appointments which was my main concern as I couldn't work with someone in person that did only 9-5 round my job. They also asked if anything had gotten worse from me which on reflection my grammar isn't so good these days but using grammarly is covering it up quite well for me at the moment.

I'm off work this week so I'm trying to get through at least 2 sections of the 3rd topic, hopefully I'll get through more but I'll see how it goes.
Glad your first online tutorial went well, and that the needs assessment is all in hand. Wonderful that they can sort out the dyslexia tutoring to be done via Skype and at times convenient for you :smile:

Sorry to hear you've had a cold though - rest up well and keep warm :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad your first online tutorial went well, and that the needs assessment is all in hand. Wonderful that they can sort out the dyslexia tutoring to be done via Skype and at times convenient for you :smile:

Sorry to hear you've had a cold though - rest up well and keep warm :hugs:

thank you, my colds nearly gone now :smile:
Haven't updated in a couple of weeks, so the first day school went well, managed to find the building well, it was mostly topics that i already knew from my previous study but it was nice to meet people.

I've also started on TMA 3 but i've not done anywhere near as well working on it as I'd planned to at this point, i'm struggling to get back into writing longer pieces of work. There's a week allocated to do each tma with some things towards them as you go along as well but i couldn't do this TMA in a week at all. However, i m far enough ahead not to worry about it probably taking me 3 weeks in total to get it finished.

I'm waiting on one thing that there's a deadline on monday for then I can finally finish the last bit of TMA 1 and get that submitted next week.

I had my needs assessment report back quite quickly but i m waiting for it to be approved by sfe, one of the suppliers they recommended (despite my needs assessor guaranteeing they would) is one i had when I was at uclan and they didn't provide skype tutorials or even evening ones at the time so hopefully it has changed since then.
(edited 4 years ago)
Great that you had a good first day, and that you found the building OK (I get hopelessly lost trying to find correct buildings on a campus, doh!). Glad you're not too worried about the TMA :smile: Sounds like things are progressing well! Fingers crossed about the supplier :yep:
Great that you had a good first day, and that you found the building OK (I get hopelessly lost trying to find correct buildings on a campus, doh!). Glad you're not too worried about the TMA :smile: Sounds like things are progressing well! Fingers crossed about the supplier :yep:

I was worried about getting a Uber incase it took me to the wrong bit of the campus, so i decided to be brave and trust google maps by myself for a change. If the supplier can't do skype, i'll be speaking to the needs assessment people straight away and getting the report changed because i don't think i ll do as well with essay questions without the support.
So I went a bit AWOL off TSR, my grandad died the last friday of november so I was in wales a few days and had the funeral and have generally been busy.

So a general update on the past 6 weeks of studying ( i did take about two weeks of doing none at all so pleased considering where i m up to) :
I got 77% in TMA 1, had TMA 2 back last week and shockingly got a 92% which considering I proofread it when i was grieving, i didn't expect to have done so well. I've almost finished TMA 3 and 4, just need to look at them again once there's tutorials for them.
So despite having not the best start to the month studying wise, I'm very much ahead.

My books for DE100 which starts the 3rd week of January arrived last week, the websites not opened yet but I have read 2 chapters of one of the books on intelligence which I'm really enjoying.

I have a rough sort of plan of how I'll juggle the two modules next month, as I do have some deadlines quite close to each other which as long as I stick at least a couple of weeks ahead on one of the two modules i should be okay.
As the module I've been doing the grades i get dont matter as long as I have a 40% average and it's just the ema in june that will count but in DE100 the marks do count in differing percentages for all the tma's, an icma and ema so it is going a be a real juggling act.
Very sorry for your loss :frown: You're doing incredibly, even without taking the bereavement into consideration :hugs:

Keep on going and wishing you all the very best for 2020 :h:

:rave:
Very sorry for your loss :frown: You're doing incredibly, even without taking the bereavement into consideration :hugs:

Keep on going and wishing you all the very best for 2020 :h:

:rave:

thank you :smile: I had some awful anticipatory grief beforehand, which unlike previous experiences I've felt was helpful this time and I got to say goodbye to him which has given me some comfort.

all the best for you too.
I really need to keep up with this diary.
So two weeks into "full time" study and I'm not sure how but i m managing to be ahead by at least a couple of weeks on both modules and I got TMA01 of my psychology module done in a day which is something of a miracle for me to accomplish so I'm very pleased with how things are going.
I'm needing to do between an hour and two hours studying a day to do it though so I am having to be sensible in when I got to bed and making sure i m eating well to keep up the energy for it but my new routine seems to be working well so far.

All the day schools happen to be at my local university for my psychology module so I should easily be able to go to all of them and won't have to be up that early compared to having to go to Manchester for my other module.
Oh that's wonderful that you don't have to go too far. Well done on being ahead! And don't worry about updating regularly if you lack time or that doesn't work for you. I enjoy reading but there's no obligation :h:
Oh that's wonderful that you don't have to go too far. Well done on being ahead! And don't worry about updating regularly if you lack time or that doesn't work for you. I enjoy reading but there's no obligation :h:

Thank you :smile: it's more I forget to update, I m managing to still have some free time at the moment with careful planning.
Original post by claireestelle
Thank you :smile: it's more I forget to update, I m managing to still have some free time at the moment with careful planning.

You are clearly more organised than I can ever aspire to be! No idea how you do it all! Hats off to you :yep:
You are clearly more organised than I can ever aspire to be! No idea how you do it all! Hats off to you :yep:

That's very kind of you
This week has gone reasonably well with studying although it's gotten more challenging. I've had some issues with my knee again so I saw a physio last Friday who recommended some exercises which takes me at least half an hour a day to do so I'm juggling a bit more in my day and some of my studying is on the sofa with my leg up.

With psychology, as it's more waffley than my science module, i m having to read through once and highlight and then go back through it when I make notes to get things to go in which is a slow process but it seems to be working for the 40/50 pages of reading a week.
I've got a day school for psychology next saturday so looking forward to that and hopefully I can submit TMA 01 that day as they will be going through it then and I want to be sure i've done it correctly before I hand it in.

My science module, I'm onto a topic about alcohol which I've done some chemistry before isn't too bad, I think there is an experiment as part of the tma which being teetotal I won't be doing myself but I think there's a way round it.
Sorry to hear about your knee :sad: That's a LOT of reading! Sounds like you're managing it very well, even if it is a slow process :yep: Highlighters are the best :gah:

That's exciting about the day school - hope you can meet others on your course and get some feedback :smile:

That's good they make provisions for students who don't drink alcohol :yep:

Keep going, you're doing so well! Hope you're not in too much pain :hugs:
Sorry to hear about your knee :sad: That's a LOT of reading! Sounds like you're managing it very well, even if it is a slow process :yep: Highlighters are the best :gah:

That's exciting about the day school - hope you can meet others on your course and get some feedback :smile:

That's good they make provisions for students who don't drink alcohol :yep:

Keep going, you're doing so well! Hope you're not in too much pain :hugs:

yes, highlighters are quite helpful with my dyslexia, I try to have a system for what a colour means but then I end up forgetting which colour is for what. The pains pretty good today, the exercises are uncomfortable but they see to be helping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending