The Student Room Group

ALS Course

Hi,

Im a final year medic and I've got the ALS 2 day course in about 2 months and would like some advice on the practical and exam part of the course.

Is reading the manual enough for the theoretical questions and also what advice would you give for the practical part?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Tsruser_
Hi,

Im a final year medic and I've got the ALS 2 day course in about 2 months and would like some advice on the practical and exam part of the course.

Is reading the manual enough for the theoretical questions and also what advice would you give for the practical part?

Thanks

The manual is enough. The course covers topics that you will already have covered in medical school. Also, on the two-day course you will spend the first day covering the topics and going through practice simulations within your group so by the time of your assessment it will be second-nature.

You will probably be shown this video in your training but this is basically what's expected of you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYHQr3ebLo

I actually found the 2-day ALS course enjoyable. The tutors were enthusiastic and I had a range of professionals (nurses, paramedics, doctors) on my team. The scenarios also gave me a boost of confidence and helped me apply everything I'd learnt in medical school into 'practice.'

Good luck - it's no where near as bad as you think it is. The knowledge is all there. :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Angury
The manual is enough. The course covers topics that you will already have covered in medical school. Also, on the two-day course you will spend the first day covering the topics and going through practice simulations within your group so by the time of your assessment it will be second-nature.

You will probably be shown this video in your training but this is basically what's expected of you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYHQr3ebLo

I actually found the 2-day ALS course enjoyable. The tutors were enthusiastic and I had a range of professionals (nurses, paramedics, doctors) on my team. The scenarios also gave me a boost of confidence and helped me apply everything I'd learnt in medical school into 'practice.'

Good luck - it's no where near as bad as you think it is. The knowledge is all there. :wink:

thanks for the response :smile:

do you know what the pass rate is for the course and also do they take the theoretical questions directly from the manual?

do you know what the pass rate is for the course and also do they take the theoretical questions directly from the manual?

The pass rate for doctors approaches 100%.
Questions are based on the course manual material, with a focus on ABCDE prioritisation, rhythm recognition, application of the algorithm (including timing and dosing of drugs), and special circumstances.

Yeah as above - it would be very unusual for a doctor to fail ALS, and as a final year med student you're definitely going to be of a very similar standard.

The main part that is new versus ILS/other resus courses is the ECG stuff, which is like identify AF, identify VT, identify heart block. A challenge for a nurse, but really not a challenge for a doctor.

When I did ALS the first time as an FY1 I got substantially above the pass mark on the pre-course questionnaire.
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
Yeah as above - it would be very unusual for a doctor to fail ALS, and as a final year med student you're definitely going to be of a very similar standard.

The main part that is new versus ILS/other resus courses is the ECG stuff, which is like identify AF, identify VT, identify heart block. A challenge for a nurse, but really not a challenge for a doctor.

When I did ALS the first time as an FY1 I got substantially above the pass mark on the pre-course questionnaire.

Thanks for the response, so for the theoretical part it would be enough to look at the manual? Do they take the questions from there?

Also are there any good resources for the practical part?
Thanks for the response, so for the theoretical part it would be enough to look at the manual? Do they take the questions from there?

Also are there any good resources for the practical part?

Yes all Qs will be from the book. The book is long and 95%+ of the info is really basic so I've never brought myself to actually read it.

The course itself is excellent for the practical part.

You really don't need to worry about this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending