The Student Room Group

BCC to AAA possible? Help? [Serious]

I'm in yr13, im averaging around BCC, but this is mainly without much/or no revision in my mocks.
🧿
I'm SUPER lazy, never had to work for decent grades back during GCSE's, so I thought A-levels would be okay but now I'm only getting around BCC and the realisation has hit me like a truck going 90mph that if I plan to do medicine at uni I need to work hard to get 3A's. I've had interviews for medicine and even if don't get offers I need the final grades to reapply next year.
🧿
I'm probably averaging, but take this with a grain of salt, as it sometimes fluctuates:
B- Biology
C-Maths
C-Chemistry
🧿
Is it possible if I knuckle down and study properly in the next 4 months I will get at least 3 A's?
:kungfu:
Of course, just don't keep deferring your effort. Start today. I went from ccdd at AS to AABBa by the end, and I've seen people improve even more, so you can too. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't know many of people who have done this, but a q&a shouldn't affect you from having a goal and aiming for it.

Your question is not one that can be answered. Just set a goal (which you have done) and aim to get there. You should really be asking the question of how to get there.
Reply 3
Original post by Diplomatic
Of course, just don't keep deferring your effort. Start today. I went from ccdd at AS to AABBa by the end, and I've seen people improve even more, so you can too.

Original post by NotNotBatman
I don't know many of people who have done this, but a q&a shouldn't affect you from having a goal and aiming for it.

Your question is not one that can be answered. Just set a goal (which you have done) and aim to get there. You should really be asking the question of how to get there.

🧿
The thing is that I'm very lazy, I mean VERY lazy in terms of studying!

I promise I'm not trying to be arrogant and cocky, but I got A/A*s at GCSE doing no/little revision throughout the years, until like a day before the exam, so i've never been used to/experienced studying and revising outside of lessons for a long time frame (i.e weeks/months).

It's hard and i'm struggling to get myself to study, I always get distracted or unmotivated a short while (e.g 20 mins) after getting myself to begin hmk/revision/study and then next time I check the time, I've wasted like 5 hours and I say "oh this day is gone, i'll do it tomorrow instead" - this cycle repeats day after day and it's only getting closer to my exams....:frown:

It feels like I'm trying to study/revise for the first time in my life and I feel like I'm failing/letting down my family and myself at the end. I know I will regret it if I don't get at least A's in August and I want to study for the sake of getting high grades, it's just I can't get myself to begin and if I do, then I can't getting myself to stay studying for a decent amount of time so I can study what I intend to (e.g a chapter from chemistry).

I feel like I can only study the day/night before an exam, because somehow that gives me some unexplainable push to begin for the next day's test, but if I try to study like a week before, I can't get myself to do it. I don't know, it's hard, I don't know how I'm going to get the grades I want.
:afraid::headfire:
Original post by paulkisho
🧿
The thing is that I'm very lazy, I mean VERY lazy in terms of studying!

I promise I'm not trying to be arrogant and cocky, but I got A/A*s at GCSE doing no/little revision throughout the years, until like a day before the exam, so i've never been used to/experienced studying and revising outside of lessons for a long time frame (i.e weeks/months).

It's hard and i'm struggling to get myself to study, I always get distracted or unmotivated a short while (e.g 20 mins) after getting myself to begin hmk/revision/study and then next time I check the time, I've wasted like 5 hours and I say "oh this day is gone, i'll do it tomorrow instead" - this cycle repeats day after day and it's only getting closer to my exams....:frown:

It feels like I'm trying to study/revise for the first time in my life and I feel like I'm failing/letting down my family and myself at the end. I know I will regret it if I don't get at least A's in August and I want to study for the sake of getting high grades, it's just I can't get myself to begin and if I do, then I can't getting myself to stay studying for a decent amount of time so I can study what I intend to (e.g a chapter from chemistry).

I feel like I can only study the day/night before an exam, because somehow that gives me some unexplainable push to begin for the next day's test, but if I try to study like a week before, I can't get myself to do it. I don't know, it's hard, I don't know how I'm going to get the grades I want.
:afraid::headfire:

To be brutal here - but if wanting to do medicine isn't motivation enough and you continue procrastinating, are you really that committed to medicine? People can cruise through GCSEs and sometimes A-levels with little effort, but eventually they'll hit a roadblock and need to pull themselves together. University will only get harder so you should ideally resolve the issues you have now.

Maybe doing research about medicine courses and what you plan to do with the degree will give you something to be excited about to encourage you to start putting in the effort?
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
To be brutal here - but if wanting to do medicine isn't motivation enough and you continue procrastinating, are you really that committed to medicine? People can cruise through GCSEs and sometimes A-levels with little effort, but eventually they'll hit a roadblock and need to pull themselves together. University will only get harder so you should ideally resolve the issues you have now.

Maybe doing research about medicine courses and what you plan to do with the degree will give you something to be excited about to encourage you to start putting in the effort?

I really want to do medicine!
🧿
I'm trying to find my drive to succeed, I want to get high grades deep down, but I'm just not putting it into practise.
I'm slowly improving my revision/work ethic since the start of 2020, compared to where I was last year.

I don't know if it's too little, too late. 4 months left to improve from BCC to at least AAA, in arguably the 3 hardest A-levels :unsure:
I really want to do medicine!
🧿
I'm trying to find my drive to succeed, I want to get high grades deep down, but I'm just not putting it into practise.
I'm slowly improving my revision/work ethic since the start of 2020, compared to where I was last year.

I don't know if it's too little, too late. 4 months left to improve from BCC to at least AAA, in arguably the 3 hardest A-levels :unsure:

I'm in the same position as you, I'm so lazy I just play games and sleep most the time. Maybe we can revise at the same time together?😂
Reply 7
Original post by sam72016
I'm in the same position as you, I'm so lazy I just play games and sleep most the time. Maybe we can revise at the same time together?😂

sure man, we'll figure something out. PM me
Reply 8
@FlawlessChicken -You are truly an inspiration, an ideal and arguably the best medical applicant...What do you think about my situation?:s-smilie:
Reply 9
since you're a medical student/medic do you have any thoughts on my situation? Any tips in the last 4 months before my exams....:ashamed2:
Reply 10
I don't know what kind of sorcery you put into that reply, but somehow it just made me super motivated. Thank you kind doctor!:crazy:

Also what was your A-level grades? And any revision/study tips & strategies leading up to exams, e.g flashcards, etc?
Reply 11
Original post by RioIBD
Probably not. Got the same in my mocks than i did in the real thing. Most people doing chemistry and maths a-levels will have stellar GCSE's, you're not special. Don't expect your grades just to jump up around exam season. There is still time, but for chemistry and maths its all about understanding and if you haven't been doing well over the past two years your not in a very good position.

Very brutal, but gives me more motivation to do my absolute best in these last 3.5 months leading up to the exams!
Your hate empowers me!
Reply 12
:gthumb:
It isn't too late but soon it will be. There are probably bigger reasons why you ended up in this cycle but therapy for that will have to wait. If you get yourself into decent revision habits quickly the endorphins will kick in and they feel a lot better than the regret and self-loathing that is probably a part of your life at the moment. There is just about time but you can't kid yourself and you have to realise that for the next few months learning and revising will be your life now. And if you do it just think how great it will feel to have succeeded.

Getting good results at GCSE without working too hard shows an aptitude but it is the equivalent to the person that can sit at a piano and pick out a tune easily. There is a natural ability but it isn't going to get you into a professional orchestra without the hard work and hours of daily practice.

If you can do it and get the results you need you are going to have to take these newly acquired good work habits into studying medicine. The work load is doable but only if you work constantly. A lazy medical student just can't survive the course. They are pretty brutal about exam failure in that world.

You somehow have to find the fear that gets you working the night before an exam right now. Find that little voice, that inner monologue, and tell it that you're working now and nothing else. Do it moment to moment, every time you stop, or think that you have to do something else first. Pretty soon it will become the voice that guides you into your work and when you start feeling good about yourself and what you are doing it will become easier. And the pride will keep you going and keep you organised.

If you manage it imagine the summer you'll have.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by strandsfinest
It isn't too late but soon but it will be. There are probably bigger reasons why you ended up in this cycle but therapy for that will have to wait. If you get yourself into decent revision habits quickly the endorphins will kick in and they feel a lot better than the regret and self-loathing that is probably a part of your life at the moment. There is just about time but you can't kid yourself and you have to realise that for the next few months learning and revising will be your life now. And if you do it just think how great it will feel to have succeeded.

Getting good results at GCSE without working too hard shows an aptitude but it is the equivalent to the person that can sit at a piano and pick out a tune easily. There is a natural ability but it isn't going to get you into a professional orchestra without the hard work and hours of daily practice.

If you can do it and get the results you need you are going to have to take these newly acquired good work habits into studying medicine. The work load is doable but only if you work constantly. A lazy medical student just can't survive the course. They are pretty brutal about exam failure in that world.

You somehow have to find the fear that gets you working the night before an exam right now. Find that little voice, that inner monologue, and tell it that you're working now and nothing else. Do it moment to moment, every time you stop, or think that you have to do something else first. Pretty soon it will become the voice that guides you into your work and when you start feeling good about yourself and what you are doing it will become easier. And the pride will keep you going and keep you organised.

If you manage it imagine the summer you'll have.

That was super helpful!!
Yes, I will try my hardest, I think it is time I stop f***ing around and get the hardcore revision on! I want to also revise smartly and efficiently so I can cover everything I need to a fair amount of detail without spending like 12 hours a day. :banghead:
Do you have any times for studying/revising smartly in biology, chemistry and maths?
@FlawlessChicken -You are truly an inspiration, an ideal and arguably the best medical applicant...What do you think about my situation?:s-smilie:

I replied on my gyg! I'm definitely not the best medical applicant! You've go it completely wrong but I gave you a whole load of tips so try them out and pm for advice or motivation stuff in the future if you want!
Reply 16
Original post by FlawlessChicken
I replied on my gyg! I'm definitely not the best medical applicant! You've go it completely wrong but I gave you a whole load of tips so try them out and pm for advice or motivation stuff in the future if you want!

Thank you! I have read through it and it has been helpful!
I will PM you if I am on the brink of giving up

Thanks once again Flawless:chicken:
Hey man so how was your results it’s been 2 years so just wanted to know as I’m in the same situation
Original post by t_khan585
Hey man so how was your results it’s been 2 years so just wanted to know as I’m in the same situation

OP hasn’t been active since 2021. These sort of scenarios are definitely down to the individual rather than the consensus. Just give it your best, that’s all you can do:smile:
Best of luck!

Latest