The Student Room Group

Is it possible to take only a level maths (Not further) to study maths for uni?

I want to do maths at uni but I’m not sure if I want to do further maths for a level, has anyone actually taken just a level maths not further maths and still managed to do maths at uni?

*note: I don’t mean just doing a level maths and nothing else lmao
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You mean maths and other 2 subjects right, excluding further maths. Then sure, you can get in very easily, although you will need to do that extra push in 1st year to learn further maths. But if you mean you only taking 1 A level, not sure of any decent university taking you in.
it's possible - i have a friend who didn't do further maths for A-level yet has recently secured 5 offers from different universities, all to study maths. it's a bit harder to find unis that don't require further maths but it's certainly possible.
Reply 3
Original post by ibyghee
You mean maths and other 2 subjects right, excluding further maths. Then sure, you can get in very easily, although you will need to do that extra push in 1st year to learn further maths. But if you mean you only taking 1 A level, not sure of any decent university taking you in.

Yeah I don’t mean taking only one a level, just not sure whether I should take further for a levels as most people say it’s super challenging and I’m not like the best in maths but I do want to do it in uni
Why would you want to do an entire maths degree if you're not interested enough in maths to want to take FM?

No need to answer publicly, but it's a question you need to be asking yourself.

You should also consider whether the maths you enjoy is actually physics, or statistics, or something which is part of a degree that isn't in fact maths.
Original post by dia28273
Yeah I don’t mean taking only one a level, just not sure whether I should take further for a levels as most people say it’s super challenging and I’m not like the best in maths but I do want to do it in uni

In my opinion you should do FM also @Doones
Reply 6

Personally, if you're going to do maths in university...further maths is least of your concerns. LIKE, further maths is near childs play to maths in university. So I'd just do it to get the hang of it.
Reply 7
Original post by skylark2
Why would you want to do an entire maths degree if you're not interested enough in maths to want to take FM?

You should also consider whether the maths you enjoy is actually physics, or statistics, or something which is part of a degree that isn't in fact maths.

I’m leaning towards finance however the reason I’m contemplating this is because I wouldn’t say I’m excellent at maths however I do enjoy it but I’m scared that the workload is going to be too much if I take FM

Reminds me of a person on this forum who wanted/wants to do a Law degree but asked "should I do A-level Law or A-level Criminology?" Like bruh 🧐 obviously you should do LAW...
Reply 9
I want to do maths at uni but I’m not sure if I want to do further maths for a level, has anyone actually taken just a level maths not further maths and still managed to do maths at uni?

*note: I don’t mean just doing a level maths and nothing else lmao

Original post by 1st superstar
In my opinion you should do FM also @Doones

FM is helpful but by no means needed for Maths at university.

Plenty of people study university Maths without it.

A few more selective universities like you to have it, but most don't mind if you don't.

Study Maths plus 2 subjects you enjoy and will do well at.
I’m leaning towards finance however the reason I’m contemplating this is because I wouldn’t say I’m excellent at maths however I do enjoy it but I’m scared that the workload is going to be too much if I take FM

But surely the workload will be even MORE at university?
Original post by Doones

A few more selective universities like you to have it, but most don't mind if you don't.

yes I agree, you don't really have to do it. But if the reason you aren't doing it, is because its too hard. There's gunna be a big surprise when you start university.
Original post by ibyghee
yes I agree, you don't really have to do it. But if the reason you aren't doing it, is because its too hard. There's gunna be a big surprise when you start university.

Agreed plus the jump between FM an university level from what I've heard isn't that big (in comparison to other subjects?) So if anything if the OP does A-level FM they will be relieved and find University less stressful... But hey?
Reply 13

Plenty of (most?) Maths students at university didn't do FM.
Original post by 1st superstar
Agreed plus the jump between FM an university level from what I've heard isn't that big (in comparison to other subjects?) So if anything if the OP does A-level FM they will be relieved and find University less stressful... But hey?

I personally don't know, but my friend that does maths, pretty clever folk A* kinda guy. He said it's really hard, even in the first year. Maybe it depends on the uni.
Original post by Doones

Didn't you say in another thread that universities prefer/want people to do FM if they are doing an applied maths related degrees (physics, C.S, maths, engineering etc?)... But maybe that's only the case for Oxbridge?
Reply 16
Original post by ibyghee

My younger son is in his 3rd year of a Maths degree. He didn't do FM.

A-level Maths is harder than GCSE but not a huge jump. University Maths is harder than A-level but, also not a huge jump.

The courses are taught assuming students don't have FM.
Original post by ibyghee
I personally don't know, but my friend that does maths, pretty clever folk A* kinda guy. He said it's really hard, even in the first year. Maybe it depends on the uni.

Maybe tbh I don't do A-level maths lol (and I think that the jump depends on what exam board you did and what uni you go to?) But yeah a know nothing about uni lol 😂
Why don't you want to do FM. I'd be fairly concerned if you had reservations
Original post by _gcx
Why don't you want to do FM. I'd be fairly concerned if you had reservations

Honestly thinking the same they (the OP) said don't wanna do it because it's too "hard and stressful" 😳

Quick Reply

Latest