The Student Room Group

Can anyone give me advice about homesickness?

i’m in first year at uni and i’m about to start my second term/ semester and i’ve been homesick the whole of the first term and now i’m getting homesick as i start the second term. i have a boy friend who lives at home and home is only 40 mins away by car so isn’t too far but this year i’ve decided to live in halls. before going to uni i was so excited to move away and start a new adventure cos everyone loves uni but i haven’t got the same experience- my flatmates are annoying and forgin they steal most of my food but i have made a few nice friends in other flats. anyways i’m debating whether to stick it out for the 3 years of even 2 or commute the next 2 years? can someone please give me advice ?
I think you're being overly negative. You're in a wonderful situation where you can both learn to be independent and go home practically every weekend. Talk to some of the nice people you met about your homesickness, try to distract yourself.
The reason why you're homesick is that you miss the people you love. However, you're not going to love them less when you're somewhere else for some time. They're always with you in your heart and you can call or do whatever. I think you should stick through it.
Try and get used to it and it will work in the long run.

I went to a boarding school when I was 12 and was really homesick in the 1st term in my 1st year, and then I got used to it. I was only 12 !!!!
Original post by Anonymous
I think you're being overly negative. You're in a wonderful situation where you can both learn to be independent and go home practically every weekend. Talk to some of the nice people you met about your homesickness, try to distract yourself.
The reason why you're homesick is that you miss the people you love. However, you're not going to love them less when you're somewhere else for some time. They're always with you in your heart and you can call or do whatever. I think you should stick through it.

thanks for the reply! i just find myself crying all the time and when my dad drops me back to uni on sundays it’s honestly the worst feeling like i honestly just count down the days to go home. i’ve tried so hard to stop feeling this way but my life at home was so good like i have the most amazing friends that uni doesn’t really compare like it’s kinda lonely
Original post by GatoMessi
Try and get used to it and it will work in the long run.

I went to a boarding school when I was 12 and was really homesick in the 1st term in my 1st year, and then I got used to it. I was only 12 !!!!

thanks for the reply! before uni i used to go away from home all the time like school trips and i was always fine like i never missed home but now i’m really struggling
Original post by louisegreen1
i’m in first year at uni and i’m about to start my second term/ semester and i’ve been homesick the whole of the first term and now i’m getting homesick as i start the second term. i have a boy friend who lives at home and home is only 40 mins away by car so isn’t too far but this year i’ve decided to live in halls. before going to uni i was so excited to move away and start a new adventure cos everyone loves uni but i haven’t got the same experience- my flatmates are annoying and forgin they steal most of my food but i have made a few nice friends in other flats. anyways i’m debating whether to stick it out for the 3 years of even 2 or commute the next 2 years? can someone please give me advice ?

Hey! I'm in my first year, second semester too!! The first part of semester 1 I was definitely very homesick and went home quite a few weekends. Even now I find whenever I go back after being home, I'll cry a lot and feel generally horrible the next day. Oh, and just like you, I don't get on with my flatmates at all, luckily that isn't everything.

Call your family/go home as much as you think you need to. Do your work, it really does take your mind off things. Join a society or two. Most importantly, if you feel you're struggling, reach out. I went the to the student wellbeing centre at least twice in the first two weeks alone. They're there to help you.

If you don't enjoy living in halls and you don't want to rent a house or go back into halls next year then by all means commute. You're close enough after all. You just have the be prepared for the costs, and getting up earlier to negotiate travelling in. Also, you may miss out on social life a little bit, but if you've already got some friends, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

In the end, it's your preference and what you choose to do :smile:
Original post by pivotalmoment
Hey! I'm in my first year, second semester too!! The first part of semester 1 I was definitely very homesick and went home quite a few weekends. Even now I find whenever I go back after being home, I'll cry a lot and feel generally horrible the next day. Oh, and just like you, I don't get on with my flatmates at all, luckily that isn't everything.

Call your family/go home as much as you think you need to. Do your work, it really does take your mind off things. Join a society or two. Most importantly, if you feel you're struggling, reach out. I went the to the student wellbeing centre at least twice in the first two weeks alone. They're there to help you.

If you don't enjoy living in halls and you don't want to rent a house or go back into halls next year then by all means commute. You're close enough after all. You just have the be prepared for the costs, and getting up earlier to negotiate travelling in. Also, you may miss out on social life a little bit, but if you've already got some friends, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

In the end, it's your preference and what you choose to do :smile:

thank you so much for your reply! that’s really helped me so much!!! i defo feel like the uni life isn’t for me I’m much more mature now than I was when I applied and I have much more focus!! Hope you’re okay as well
If i'm home sick i try and distract myself with something so i am not thinking about it too much. Keep in contact with home and remember you have amazing opportunities ahead of you.
Original post by louisegreen1
thanks for the reply! i just find myself crying all the time and when my dad drops me back to uni on sundays it’s honestly the worst feeling like i honestly just count down the days to go home. i’ve tried so hard to stop feeling this way but my life at home was so good like i have the most amazing friends that uni doesn’t really compare like it’s kinda lonely

Are you going home every weekend or something? Cause if that is the case then that will not be helping you at all....

Quick Reply

Latest