The Student Room Group

Going to University in France?

I’m a Year 12 currently studying Computer Science, Electronics and French. I would really love to study a combined Cyber Security + French degree, but know no universities in England that offer this course :frown:

So I asked my teacher what to do, because I don’t want to choose just one subject. She gave me the idea of studying in France as an international student - living there and doing a Cyber Security degree in French (to get the best of both worlds) and I love the idea! But I don’t know exactly how to apply to French universities, or any grants I can get to study there? Does anyone know of any Computing degrees in France that offer grants to international students? How would I go about getting scholarships? Is it too expensive? (My family isn’t that well off) Should I just stick to UK universities? Please let me know! :smile:
Right now, you will get EU student prices, so France might actually be cheaper than UK fees, depending on where you go, but don't forget that there is Brexit to consider - after 31st December 2020, you might count as an international student and therefore possibly required to pay higher fees.
Reply 2
Original post by JackJacques98
Right now, you will get EU student prices, so France might actually be cheaper than UK fees, depending on where you go, but don't forget that there is Brexit to consider - after 31st December 2020, you might count as an international student and therefore possibly required to pay higher fees.

Would I still be counted as an international student if I have an EU passport? Sorry, I don’t know the details of it all.
University if free in France if you choose a state-run "fac".
Except if you choose an "École d'ingénieur" (engineering school), such as EPITA or ESIEA (around 8k per year).
If you're not enough comfortable with French to completely follow a course, Engineering Schools offer international sections with the course in English. I recommend you check out their website.

However, you'll still need maths to apply to those universities. So I guess that'll be hard if you don't take A Level maths… In this case, you could have a look at schools line InTech.
Original post by localtoast
Would I still be counted as an international student if I have an EU passport? Sorry, I don’t know the details of it all.

That depends on what you mean by EU passport. Right now we all have EU passports, but after 31 December this year they won't be EU passports anymore, just British passports. That is unless you're a citizen of another EU country, then you'll have nothing to worry about.
Reply 5
Original post by JackJacques98
That depends on what you mean by EU passport. Right now we all have EU passports, but after 31 December this year they won't be EU passports anymore, just British passports. That is unless you're a citizen of another EU country, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Sorry, I should’ve specified. I have a Portuguese passport, so EU! But I’ve lived in the UK my entire life. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
University if free in France if you choose a state-run "fac".
Except if you choose an "École d'ingénieur" (engineering school), such as EPITA or ESIEA (around 8k per year).
If you're not enough comfortable with French to completely follow a course, Engineering Schools offer international sections with the course in English. I recommend you check out their website.

However, you'll still need maths to apply to those universities. So I guess that'll be hard if you don't take A Level maths… In this case, you could have a look at schools line InTech.

Hold on... I need maths? Aaah. I did not know this :frown: Would I need maths for somewhere like ESIEE? I’ll have a look at InTech! Thank you :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Are you fluent in French? I think you need to have a B2 certificate to apply if you do not have their citizenship. However, if you want to study computer science, I think there are a few international courses, although I can't specify which :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending