The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Ask a recent bath spa graduate anything!

Hey all,

I’ve been running a thread on here as a bath spa student however I have now graduated!

Put any questions you have about student life in bath, campus questions or anything really to do with student life.

Happy to help as many people as I can.

Liam
Hi i’m a commonwealth scholar with a limited stipend. My other colleagues in other cities are spending a lot less on accommodation than I will be.

Wanted to know what the other costs will be like.
I am going to be an international student with NO idea about the currency value.

Thanks for this! Much needed.
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by hirakhatri
Hi i’m a commonwealth scholar with a limited stipend. My other colleagues in other cities are spending a lot less on accommodation than I will be.

Wanted to know what the other costs will be like.
I am going to be an international student with NO idea about the currency value.

Thanks for this! Much needed.

Hi, im a bit confused what you are asking about, could you explain so I can try and help :smile:
living costs other than accommodation.
I'll send a link of this thread to my soon-to-be coursemates.

I have two questions. How cheap is the SU Bar on campus, compared to bars in town? And how easy is it to get a part-time job, either internally within the SU (in the bar, shop, etc) or externally?

Edit: P.S - Your youtube videos were really useful so thanks for that!
(edited 5 years ago)
living costs other than accommodation.

Apologies in delay I got really busy.
Bath is an expensive place to live, however, there are so many things to do which are free such as the Roman baths which are amazing to go to (I've been 5 times already and still love it). Food wise there is a huge selection of places to buy your food from Lidl which is a student favourite (£15/20 a week I spent which included lots of snacks and lots of meat!) there are then the standard supermarkets such as Sainsburys/Tesco/co-op/Morrisons and then you get Waitrose and M&S if you have a bigger budget.
Nights out are pretty cheap as you can get a lot of student deals in bars and clubs or if you are not into that sorta scene you can also get lots of discounts for shows and cinema tickets.
Original post by thebrokentripod
Apologies in delay I got really busy.
Bath is an expensive place to live, however, there are so many things to do which are free such as the Roman baths which are amazing to go to (I've been 5 times already and still love it). Food wise there is a huge selection of places to buy your food from Lidl which is a student favourite (£15/20 a week I spent which included lots of snacks and lots of meat!) there are then the standard supermarkets such as Sainsburys/Tesco/co-op/Morrisons and then you get Waitrose and M&S if you have a bigger budget.
Nights out are pretty cheap as you can get a lot of student deals in bars and clubs or if you are not into that sorta scene you can also get lots of discounts for shows and cinema tickets.

Thanks a lot for this. My accommodation is close to lidl i hear. I’m on a stipend of £1084 with £500 going into accommodation.

Hope that’s enough for me to pay for a laptop in instalments.

Thanks again
Original post by PetrosAC
I'll send a link of this thread to my soon-to-be coursemates.

I have two questions. How cheap is the SU Bar on campus, compared to bars in town? And how easy is it to get a part-time job, either internally within the SU (in the bar, shop, etc) or externally?

Edit: P.S - Your youtube videos were really useful so thanks for that!

Hi,
The SU bar is pretty cheap and you can get a lot of drinks for £20! haha, I can't think of the prices off top of my head but to give you an idea they are usually cheaper than Wetherspoons which should be a good indicator :P
Jobs are really easy to get as a student in bath as 80% of students have part-time work whilst they are studying here. Lots of opportunities internally as well as in bath with bar work, shops, restaurants always recruiting students and the careers team are always looking for jobs which are suitable for students which will work around busy timetables and social life.
Thank you for the comments on the videos :smile:
If you want to see some of the more recent ones I have been posting in a Facebook group designed for applicants and freshers :smile: (No promoters are allowed in so you won't get bombarded with tickets for sale or that rubbish)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bathspauni2018/
Thanks a lot for this. My accommodation is close to lidl i hear. I’m on a stipend of £1084 with £500 going into accommodation.

Hope that’s enough for me to pay for a laptop in instalments.

Thanks again

Have you looked at uni days and similar sites, they usually have some good student discount for laptops. I got my MacBook with about £450 off!!
Have you looked at uni days and similar sites, they usually have some good student discount for laptops. I got my MacBook with about £450 off!!

Wow okay thanks!!
Reply 10
Hi,

I am wondering if timetables can be amended to swap to an alternative lecture sessions for time management efficiency?? I only just received my timetable for the year today, the sessions are quite a bit jumbled i.e. Mon - I have five hours between two lectures. As I do not live on campus, my travel to and from Uni would be doubled and time wasted waiting around.

Thanks
What was your favourite thing about studying at university ?
Reply 12
If I'm entitled to around 6800 maintenance loans, if nobody from home helps is it possible to actually survive?
Reply 13
Hey all,

I’ve been running a thread on here as a bath spa student however I have now graduated!

Put any questions you have about student life in bath, campus questions or anything really to do with student life.

Happy to help as many people as I can.

Liam

If I'm entitled to 6800 maintenance loans. But nobody helps financially from home is it possible to live off?
Original post by DylanB_
If I'm entitled to 6800 maintenance loans. But nobody helps financially from home is it possible to live off?

Does this need to cover rent too?
Reply 15
Does this need to cover rent too?

Yes
Original post by DylanB_
Yes

I think its just possible but would need to be really frugal with your spending. I'd reccomend getting a job a day or two a week
Reply 17
I think its just possible but would need to be really frugal with your spending. I'd reccomend getting a job a day or two a week

Could you recommend me anywhere that is usually hiring or hires students?
Hi,

Were there any times during your study when you felt stuck-in-a-rut? If yes, how did you overcome blocks i.e. difficulty producing/starting work assignments through anxiety/fear or not finding subject stimulating?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending