The Student Room Group

How is uni like

Hi I just wanted to know that im gonna start uni in September 2020 I just wanted to know is uni very difficult or would I even like going to university thanks.
Original post by slideshow2377
Hi I just wanted to know that im gonna start uni in September 2020 I just wanted to know is uni very difficult or would I even like going to university thanks.

Hi,

Excellent news to hear you will be starting university in September - congratulations however, yours is a very difficult question to answer as it's very personal to you.

Difficulty wise - the study will possibly be unlike the levels you have studied before but you will be well supported by your lecturers and tutors, and you wouldn't be offered a place on a course that the university didn't think you were prepared for in your experience so far. Your skills will develop over the 3 years quite substantially and it may take some time for information to click so if you find things difficult to start with, don't give up! One day it will all make sense.

Whether you will like it, I can't answer. This depends on so many factors and is something only you can answer. I would recommend visiting the university you are intending to attend as much as possible, view the dorms etc as this will help you get a feel for what the location is like. Find out as much as you can about the course you will be studying too, and maybe even do a bit of background reading - this will all help you in your decision.

I always think you get out of something that which you put into it. I would recommend engaging with as much as you can when you go - there is so much to do and so many people to meet - if you put yourself out there I am sure you will have a great time.

I know this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but I hope it has helped you a little bit. The best of luck to you in your decision.

Katrina
Just be warned having “the best 3 years of your life is highly unlikely , but is possible . Don’t think it will all go to plan if you do go , but go and be a as fierce as you can. Uni is impossible for people with anxiety or introverted types.
Just please make sure you are very interested in the course you have chosen
Reply 4
Depends on a lot oft hings. I've heard people say that they found it way easier than A-levels, and I've heard (a few more) people say that it was way harder. But that depends on your course, your university, how you prefer to study, your own habits, etc etc.
If you're going to uni then that means that you've decided that there is a subject that you want to spend three years and ~£30k on studying full-time. So it helps that you're sure about what you want to do.
Everyone's is different, positive or negative. My experience is terrible and is the worst thing ever, it's like a total waste of 3 years of my entire life. I'm so miserable. I'm just counting down the days until it's over with.
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone's is different, positive or negative. My experience is terrible and is the worst thing ever, it's like a total waste of 3 years of my entire life. I'm so miserable. I'm just counting down the days until it's over with.

Oh no why is it so bad for you? I'm sorry to hear that, also scared now
Reply 7
My sister went uni and I'm going to the same uni she going and she said it was the best three years of her life really.
Oh no why is it so bad for you? I'm sorry to hear that, also scared now

Don't be scared I'm sure you will have a great time. It's just very different for other people and my experience isn't what I imagined, a bit cliche but I really wanted it to be the "best 3 years of my life" but the truth is, that it isn't. More or less looking what's going to be the worst 3 years of my life. The only reason I feel this way is due to the social aspect. I've somehow found it challenging to build connections with people and make friends, this was a total shock to me cause in school and college I fitted in so easily with others and was very sociable/interactive/outgoing etc. And then I come here to a new city to learn and can't even get past the "hi, hey what course you doing" etc steps. I'm in my 2nd year of uni and dread every moment coming here. But that's just me.
Some thoughts:

- You will likely get out of the experience in proportion to what you invest IN it - so, go prepared to get involved.
- Your Freshers Year is unlikely to be the best one (so, don't stress) - many people report that Y2 is better, since they now 'know the ropes'.
- You MUST manage yourself. NO-ONE will (much) hassle or check up on you (like School), if you fail to turn your work in - they just mark you 0...and move on.

A
Reply 10
it was like that in my first year in college
Don't be scared I'm sure you will have a great time. It's just very different for other people and my experience isn't what I imagined, a bit cliche but I really wanted it to be the "best 3 years of my life" but the truth is, that it isn't. More or less looking what's going to be the worst 3 years of my life. The only reason I feel this way is due to the social aspect. I've somehow found it challenging to build connections with people and make friends, this was a total shock to me cause in school and college I fitted in so easily with others and was very sociable/interactive/outgoing etc. And then I come here to a new city to learn and can't even get past the "hi, hey what course you doing" etc steps. I'm in my 2nd year of uni and dread every moment coming here. But that's just me.

I appreciate your honesty and thanks for that! I'm nervous about the social aspect, and unlike you I am not very sociable or outgoing, why do you think that has happened? (Sorry for probing I just think it's good to get advice and hear about people's lives particularly when it's honest
I hope things improve for you though, and that they won't end up being the worst 3 years, some balance would be nice
Reply 12
Just be warned having “the best 3 years of your life is highly unlikely , but is possible . Don’t think it will all go to plan if you do go , but go and be a as fierce as you can. Uni is impossible for people with anxiety or introverted types.

Not true- uni is possible for any type of person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending