The Student Room Group

National 5 Mathematics 2019/2020

This is a forum for all of the students undertaking Mathematics at National 5 level for the 2019/2020 session.

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:. Sadly, I have to do maths for 2 years :frown: I’ll do higher in college but I’m sure this will be a good journey through algebra :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by Kubsyy
Hello :smile:. Sadly, I have to do maths for 2 years :frown: I’ll do higher in college but I’m sure this will be a good journey through algebra :smile:.

Like I said earlier, feel free to ask me anything :smile:. Always happy to help :thumbsup:.
I am feeling pretty ok/good about National Five Maths for 2020. Hope everyone does well!
Reply 4
Original post by StudentForSQA
I am feeling pretty ok/good about National Five Maths for 2020. Hope everyone does well!

Good luck for your first year of exams :thumbsup:.
Thanks
Original post by Strelzo
Good luck for your first year of exams :thumbsup:.
Reply 6
Well, I've had to drop out of this course for the second year in a row. Cannot understand any of the content, and my school's maths department are very unhelpful.
How's everyone getting on with Nat 5 maths? Anyone already had their prelim or is it still to come?
bruh I can't do maths and its the one subject I need for uni can I get an F
Reply 9
Original post by Labrador99
How's everyone getting on with Nat 5 maths? Anyone already had their prelim or is it still to come?

I have paper 1 on Monday and paper 2 on Tuesday.
Reply 10
I have my nat 5 maths prelim on Wednesday. Any advice? This is my first year sitting exams/prelims and I’m kind of sh*ting myself
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't overthink. Trust yourself and don't second guess or doubt yourself. By no means am I saying not to look over your work, just have some amount of confidence. I personally found that in my prelim I had originally written the correct answer then second-guessed myself and changed it and ultimately lost marks. :smile:

Original post by cahctus
I have my nat 5 maths prelim on Wednesday. Any advice? This is my first year sitting exams/prelims and I’m kind of sh*ting myself
Reply 12
Original post by zarahahmed5
Don't overthink. Trust yourself and don't second guess or doubt yourself. By no means am I saying not to look over your work, just have some amount of confidence. I personally found that in my prelim I had originally written the correct answer then second-guessed myself and changed it and ultimately lost marks. :smile:

This often happens to me in unit assessments. Thank you for your advice!:smile:
I need help on how to study my national 5 maths
Original post by mspratt1
I have paper 1 on Monday and paper 2 on Tuesday.

Hope it goes well! You've got this :rave:

Original post by cahctus

Hope that it goes well! In terms of general advice for prelims, there's some here :smile:

For maths specifically, make sure you've got your calculator in the right setting (degrees, not radians!) and make sure you know any formulae that aren't included on the formulae sheet - then write them down as soon as you go in!
When it comes to the questions, the ones people usually get stuck on are the problem solving type ones where the questions are based on some random context...With these ones, it's a case of mostly ignoring the context, and then figuring out what the question is actually asking...Ask yourself, what topic is this from? and write down the information you have been given/draw a simplified diagram to help figure this out.
Make sure you've familiarised yourself with how papers tend to look by doing past paper questions, as revising maths is generally just doing a lot of questions, and on the day itself, don't panic- remember that in the grand scheme, the prelim isn't all that important, and is really just a way of finding out where you're currently at/experiencing exam conditions/letting you figure out how you revise most effectively.

Hope this helps- you've got this! :smile:
Original post by Libster5
I need help on how to study my national 5 maths

Is it a specific topic you're stuck on, or revising more generally? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Labrador99
Hope it goes well! You've got this :rave:

Hope that it goes well! In terms of general advice for prelims, there's some here :smile:

For maths specifically, make sure you've got your calculator in the right setting (degrees, not radians!) and make sure you know any formulae that aren't included on the formulae sheet - then write them down as soon as you go in!
When it comes to the questions, the ones people usually get stuck on are the problem solving type ones where the questions are based on some random context...With these ones, it's a case of mostly ignoring the context, and then figuring out what the question is actually asking...Ask yourself, what topic is this from? and write down the information you have been given/draw a simplified diagram to help figure this out.
Make sure you've familiarised yourself with how papers tend to look by doing past paper questions, as revising maths is generally just doing a lot of questions, and on the day itself, don't panic- remember that in the grand scheme, the prelim isn't all that important, and is really just a way of finding out where you're currently at/experiencing exam conditions/letting you figure out how you revise most effectively.

Hope this helps- you've got this! :smile:

This is so helpful! I’ll write down the formulae as soon as I go in. Thank you so much for your advice:smile:
I'm doing my Nat 5 exam this year! I first did GCSE maths around 9 years ago so it's been a bit of a shock to the system getting back into the swing of things haha. I've aced my NABs so far but my Prelim is on March 19th and my actual exam is in May. I'm aiming for a B but ideally would like an A.
Reply 18
I have my Nat 5 Maths Prelim tomorrow, wish me luck!! Good luck to everyone else who has it soon😬
Original post by cahctus
I have my Nat 5 Maths Prelim tomorrow, wish me luck!! Good luck to everyone else who has it soon😬

Hope it went well for you today :h:

Original post by daintydaisy
I'm doing my Nat 5 exam this year! I first did GCSE maths around 9 years ago so it's been a bit of a shock to the system getting back into the swing of things haha. I've aced my NABs so far but my Prelim is on March 19th and my actual exam is in May. I'm aiming for a B but ideally would like an A.

Hope that your prelim goes well when it comes! :smile: Are you working towards applying for something else afterwards? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending