The Student Room Group

A-levels to take for a computer science degree

I'm interested in taking a degree in computer science when I grow up, and right now am considering taking maths, physics, and history at a-level. I know that the maths and physics are almost some what compulsory for a degree in something like computer science, but I was just wondering if history would be a bit of a waste, or would it still be partially useful to take when applying to universities? Or should I definitely consider changing it to a different a-level if I'm wanting to pursue the type of career that I am?
Depends what universities you want to apply to
Original post by domm1
I'm interested in taking a degree in computer science when I grow up, and right now am considering taking maths, physics, and history at a-level. I know that the maths and physics are almost some what compulsory for a degree in something like computer science, but I was just wondering if history would be a bit of a waste, or would it still be partially useful to take when applying to universities? Or should I definitely consider changing it to a different a-level if I'm wanting to pursue the type of career that I am?

You need to take what you enjoy. If you have any target universities, check their requirements, but I expect that those would be fine. If you're aiming high, you should consider FM.
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
You need to take what you enjoy. If you have any target universities, check their requirements, but I expect that those would be fine. If you're aiming high, you should consider FM.

I know that further maths is a very desirable and well respected a-level to have when applying to the top uni's, but how important really is it when comparing it to taking it over something like history, and changing my choices to maths, further maths, and physics? I just want to get a rough understanding of desired it is, and how strongly I should be considering it at a-level over history.
Original post by domm1
I know that further maths is a very desirable and well respected a-level to have when applying to the top uni's, but how important really is it when comparing it to taking it over something like history, and changing my choices to maths, further maths, and physics? I just want to get a rough understanding of desired it is, and how strongly I should be considering it at a-level over history.

For top universities (at least Oxbridge and Imperial), FM is extremely desirable - you'd be at a massive disadvantage applying without it. It cannot be mitigated by any other 'A' level.

With that said, if you enjoy History, take it AND FM. I would only recommend four 'A' levels if FM is one of them. Physics fits very well with Maths (and FM), so the workload is fine, IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest