The Student Room Group

Has anyone started revision for GCSE and when r u taking you exam

I am panicking so please help
Hello!

I'm currently in Year 11, doing my GCSEs' this May.

I was doing light/medium revision from September but since I've started school again after the Christmas break I've been trying to do 2/3 hours a night (which is what my school recommends).

If you haven't started yet (and you're in Y11) I recommend easing yourself in my doing 45min/1hour a night for the first week, 1hour/1hour30 the next etc. to get into a nice routine. Making a revision timetable will also help! Don't forget to take frequent breaks and time for yourself.
If you're in Y10 I wouldn't worry about it. You're still learning your course- just revise for mocks and get all your homework done, as well as making sure you understand everything you're taught.

If you have any other questions, let me know!:smile:
Reply 2
Im in yr 11 too and to be honesy ive been on and off with revision i have mocks late february and ive just started to do a bit of work. I just need alot of motivation because my focus when revising slacks alot and i dont bother at times. Try revise as early as you can by doing a bit everyday not long hours even if its a 30 minuite youtube video it helps
Reply 3
Original post by georgia-marie
Hello!

I'm currently in Year 11, doing my GCSEs' this May.

I was doing light/medium revision from September but since I've started school again after the Christmas break I've been trying to do 2/3 hours a night (which is what my school recommends).

If you haven't started yet (and you're in Y11) I recommend easing yourself in my doing 45min/1hour a night for the first week, 1hour/1hour30 the next etc. to get into a nice routine. Making a revision timetable will also help! Don't forget to take frequent breaks and time for yourself.
If you're in Y10 I wouldn't worry about it. You're still learning your course- just revise for mocks and get all your homework done, as well as making sure you understand everything you're taught.

If you have any other questions, let me know!:smile:

Well I am a private student
So actually I am learning these stuff and I hope to be able to finish everything on march and start revision on march but i started panicking when I found out that most students started revision from October and I started December and I feel so demotivated now
Reply 4
hi there! I'm in year 13 and I did my GCSEs 2 years ago, god I feel old now! my advice is to start early as there is no harm in starting now than last minute. I began my revision in January for my GCSEs, but I started off with little revision like 1 hour a day then as the months went by I increased that time as I was used to focusing on 1 hour of study. I would say that the best approach with revision is to start off slow and build up the hours once you're comfortable with an hour. also, I would plan what subject you're going to do and when. it's best to focus on the thing you struggle with now so when May comes along you can focus on everything rather on the topics you find the most difficult
hope that helps! (unfortunately, I recycled all my revision notes and flashcards!)
Original post by Djdjdas
Well I am a private student
So actually I am learning these stuff and I hope to be able to finish everything on march and start revision on march but i started panicking when I found out that most students started revision from October and I started December and I feel so demotivated now

Don’t feel disheartened! Remember it’s only January. We have 4 months until our first exam which is plenty of time to strengthen your knowledge! Better start now than later.
Reply 6
Original post by georgia-marie
Don’t feel disheartened! Remember it’s only January. We have 4 months until our first exam which is plenty of time to strengthen your knowledge! Better start now than later.

I don't know
I feel like quitting and reassigning in November what do you think

Do I have a chance starting January
Reply 7
Original post by Djdjdas
I don't know

of course, you do! I started my revision in January and I got decent grades! my highest was an 8 in English!
Reply 8
Thank you
I really need this
I am just panicking cause I hear people saying they started revision on October and I haven't finished all the syllabus and it's January but I am half through and then I can start revision from February for all subject and from march for chemistry
Reply 9
Original post by Djdjdas
Thank you
I really need this
I am just panicking cause I hear people saying they started revision on October and I haven't finished all the syllabus and it's January but I am half through and then I can start revision from February for all subject and from march for chemistry

it really doesn't matter when others start! i know someone that started in April and managed to get really good grades, it really depends on when you feel ready and committed to revise
Original post by Djdjdas
I don't know

Yes of course you do! Most of my peers (in state school) haven’t started yet. No point in quitting now when you’ve got so far (especially because most people I know won’t start revision until Easter)

Quick Reply

Latest