The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate May 2020 Question & Help Thread

Hello everyone! I hope most of you have now settled into your final year of the IB program. :smile:

Some of you might be applying to universities right now, finish up your IA's or simply wonder how the next months are going to go.

I've started this thread as a place where May 2020 students can ask each other questions, ask for advice or simple exchange themselves in the months prior to exams.

I myself am available for advice anytime, having finished the IB in May 2019, whether it is answering questions about CAS, subjects, IAs, the exam process, uploading files to the IB, revision techniques, applying to uni, resources, etc. Other IB alumni are welcome to contribute!

Note: November 2019/2020 or May 2021 candidates of course are welcome to ask questions as well! :smile:
Reply 1
Has anyone entered MYP e assessment graden into UCAS? My Sciences ,math history english 77766. Concerned about 4 for art portfolio & B for personal project/French
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JLeiden
Has anyone entered MYP e assessment graden into UCAS? My Sciences and math 7776. Concerned about 4 for art portfolio.

What course and what universities are you planning to apply to?
Reply 3
Giving this a small boost - if you need help, just ask!
Reply 4
I don't understand how the MYP links in with the IBDP since I didn't do it. Please can someone explain?
Reply 5
Original post by mal.ikah
I don't understand how the MYP links in with the IBDP since I didn't do it. Please can someone explain?

The MYP is an IB program designed to mimic any kind of middle school program. You take a range of subjects that are similar to IB subjects, yet it does not matter which you take. Some schools offer you to choose the subjects, but most give you a range of mandatory ones, e.g. languages, sciences, humanities, arts. You complete the MYP by doing a "Personal Project", somewhat similar to the Extended Essay but more in the style of a report. Lastly, you get an MYP certificate (when I did it, out of 56 points), comprised of your PP score and your subject scores. CAS also is somewhat of a criteria in most schools, but not as rigorously as in the IB.
If you did NOT do the MYP but are doing the IB now, that is absolutely no problem. They are both IB programs, but the MYP makes no difference whatsoever on your ability to do the 2-year IB program. They are rather independent, but some schools decide to offer both - the IB as a diploma and the MYP as an alternative to GCSE/IGCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by Aspenfire
Hello everyone! I hope most of you have now settled into your final year of the IB program. :smile:

Some of you might be applying to universities right now, finish up your IA's or simply wonder how the next months are going to go.

I've started this thread as a place where May 2020 students can ask each other questions, ask for advice or simple exchange themselves in the months prior to exams.

I myself am available for advice anytime, having finished the IB in May 2019, whether it is answering questions about CAS, subjects, IAs, the exam process, uploading files to the IB, revision techniques, applying to uni, resources, etc. Other IB alumni are welcome to contribute!

Note: November 2019/2020 or May 2021 candidates of course are welcome to ask questions as well! :smile:

Have sat exams through the May 2019 session as well - I failed (19 points). Passed CAS, EE and TOK (though I got 0 extra marks out of them) - but the exam grades were too low and I even submitted blank documents for the IAs of some subjects. Man, I really was in a ****ty state to have been capable of doing such a thing. Started studying for finals basically 2-3 days ahead of them.
Applied with HS diploma to some university that I cannot even transfer out of (due to them being unrecognised by the local ministry of education). Back to square 1. Applying to actual universities as a freshman again - predicted grades, all that good stuff. Thought failing IB wouldn't matter that I least got into uni (last year in September) - big mistake. Uni I'm currently enrolled in is as much of an university as Nestle is an ethical company.
Now that I want to resit some of my subjects in the upcoming May session - how will applying to university work? Will the new IB School that will take me in for the May session give me the new predicted grades for submission to the uni application?
Reply 7
Original post by sakalata
Have sat exams through the May 2019 session as well - I failed (19 points). Passed CAS, EE and TOK (though I got 0 extra marks out of them) - but the exam grades were too low and I even submitted blank documents for the IAs of some subjects. Man, I really was in a ****ty state to have been capable of doing such a thing. Started studying for finals basically 2-3 days ahead of them.
Applied with HS diploma to some university that I cannot even transfer out of (due to them being unrecognised by the local ministry of education). Back to square 1. Applying to actual universities as a freshman again - predicted grades, all that good stuff. Thought failing IB wouldn't matter that I least got into uni (last year in September) - big mistake. Uni I'm currently enrolled in is as much of an university as Nestle is an ethical company.
Now that I want to resit some of my subjects in the upcoming May session - how will applying to university work? Will the new IB School that will take me in for the May session give me the new predicted grades for submission to the uni application?

Sorry to hear that M2019 didn't go so well!
I believe that the IB school that holds your new May exams cannot give you predicted grades, as they do not have anything to base your grades on. I think you might be able to go back on your previous predicted grades, but otherwise I think, depending on the country the uni is in you are applying for, you will simply select that your grades are pending as you are re-sitting.
Reply 8
Original post by Aspenfire
Sorry to hear that M2019 didn't go so well!
I believe that the IB school that holds your new May exams cannot give you predicted grades, as they do not have anything to base your grades on. I think you might be able to go back on your previous predicted grades, but otherwise I think, depending on the country the uni is in you are applying for, you will simply select that your grades are pending as you are re-sitting.

would also like to mention another thing
the school where I previously sat the original exams does resits only for the exams and will not help with IAs
now, my IAs were bad and will drag my grade down by a good enough margin
so is there any way I can redo these IAs as well - like, with an online accreditted IB thing or private organization or something ? thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending