The Student Room Group

Contact lens

I pay £60 for a 3 month supply of contact* lenses. I do buy expensive ones as I have ran into problems with previous contacts/ cheap ones that could have resulted in a loss of vision. So I am vey cautious with the ones I buy. I do wear glasses but I am very clumsy and tend to break them. I am very self conscious and like to stick to contact lenses. I had a look at my uni timetable and I don't have to come in much. I see it as pointless to pay for an excessive amount of contacts too if I won't need them everyday. I do want the best possible ones for my vision and eye health. I go to vision express for mine. Any suggestions? One eye is stronger than the other so I was wondering if I could just wear contacts in the weaker eye, is this possible? My lessons are long too so I do want to be careful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I pay £60 for a 3 month supply of contact* lenses. I do buy expensive ones as I have ran into problems with previous contacts/ cheap ones that could have resulted in a loss of vision. So I am vey cautious with the ones I buy. I do wear glasses but I am very clumsy and tend to break them. I am very self conscious and like to stick to contact lenses. I had a look at my uni timetable and I don't have to come in much. I see it as pointless to pay for an excessive amount of contacts too if I won't need them everyday. I do want the best possible ones for my vision and eye health. I go to vision express for mine. Any suggestions? One eye is stronger than the other so I was wondering if I could just wear contacts in the weaker eye, is this possible? My lessons are long too so I do want to be careful!

I have an astigmatism
Reply 2
What is your prescription?
What contacts do you use?
Have you been fitted with contacts or just but some without a proper fitting?
Reply 3
I would talk to your optician as they will know best. I get 30 lenses every 3 months but I wear them for 3 days as when I got my lenses I said I would only wear them for 2/7 days now I wear them everyday. I would say ask for less lenses but if you find yourself wearing them more I would do what I do, wear the same pair for two days or so.
Reply 4
Original post by riaaree
I would talk to your optician as they will know best. I get 30 lenses every 3 months but I wear them for 3 days as when I got my lenses I said I would only wear them for 2/7 days now I wear them everyday. I would say ask for less lenses but if you find yourself wearing them more I would do what I do, wear the same pair for two days or so.

wearing a 1 day lens for more than 1 day is bad and can potentially cause damage to your eye.
Reply 5
Original post by Kathy89
What is your prescription?
What contacts do you use?
Have you been fitted with contacts or just but some without a proper fitting?

Hi, yes I have had a proper fitting for my contacts. I have noticed it makes objects near sighted slightly blury. The contacts I use are called EYEEXPERT SILK.
Prescription:
Right eye:
BC 8.6 DIA 14.0 PWR -4.25
Left eye:
BC 8.6 DIA 14.0 PWR -3.25
Reply 6
ask to try aspheric lenses with less correction, maybe 0.25D less
Reply 7
Original post by Kathy89
ask to try aspheric lenses with less correction, maybe 0.25D less

Thank you, I'll ask about these lenses when I go in for my appointment. I have never really understood the number on eye prescriptions is my vision pretty bad?
Reply 8
Thank you, I'll ask about these lenses when I go in for my appointment. I have never really understood the number on eye prescriptions is my vision pretty bad?

pretty avarage.
I also have an astigmatism and have one eye weaker than the other. I'd never recommend only wearing the lenses in the weaker eye as it means the stonger eye is going to strain more, resulting in that eye becoming weaker as a result.

I pay for a 3 month supply and it usually lasts me about a year, maybe even more. I don't work at the moment and I'm only in uni two days a week so I don't wear them all that much, I tend to wear glasses around the house. If it's any consolation mine cost just over £100 for a 3 month supply.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I also have an astigmatism and have one eye weaker than the other. I'd never recommend only wearing the lenses in the weaker eye as it means the stonger eye is going to strain more, resulting in that eye becoming weaker as a result.

I pay for a 3 month supply and it usually lasts me about a year, maybe even more. I don't work at the moment and I'm only in uni two days a week so I don't wear them all that much, I tend to wear glasses around the house. If it's any consolation mine cost just over £100 for a 3 month supply.

That would make sense. Hmmm, how does that work out if it's a 3 month supply because I get worried about using a 3 month supply for a year? Please let me know :smile:
That would make sense. Hmmm, how does that work out if it's a 3 month supply because I get worried about using a 3 month supply for a year? Please let me know :smile:

Daily or monthtly lenses?

I'm not sure what you mean? I have daily lenses but don't wear a pair every day, so 3 months worth usually lasts me about a year
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm not sure what you mean? I have daily lenses but don't wear a pair every day, so 3 months worth usually lasts me about a year

Okay ty :smile:
Original post by Kathy89
wearing a 1 day lens for more than 1 day is bad and can potentially cause damage to your eye.

i told my opticians that and they were fine with it, they refused to send me more lenses a month so i had to. i always wash my hands before and after
@Kathy89
I used to have daily wear contact lenses my optician recommended I change to monthly disposable to save money. Was happy to do so. Especially when he told me they were exactly the same lens. The package is entirely identical. It’s no hardship to drop them in solution overnight.
If the lens is cleaned properly between each use it’s fine to use them more than once
It is still very risky. 1 day lenses are made in a way they cannot restore the moisturizing agent within them, so they simply dry out and change their structure and it can damage your eye if you do it very often.
@Sammylou40

There are lenses which are exactly the same material and structure (BC and DIA), however, there are different design, 1 day lens is thinner and built in a way that cannot restore the moisturising agent. The monthly lenses are built with several layers of the material built in a certain way that allows the moisturising agent between them to be restored so they could be used repeatedly. They only seem to be the same lens, they are not.
@Kathy89

It was the opticians who told me it was exactly the same lens.
@Sammylou40

Can you show me the lens blister?

Unless it is a generic brand that cannot be. Generic brands sometimes use monthly/one year cheap lenses that are so cheap they can sell them as whatever they want... these materials usually are so bad (old version of hema materials usually)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest