The Student Room Group

HKU / CUHK Medicine Non-JUPAS Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacky Song
Ok, I will try to answer you guys' question here, do quote me so that I get the push notification. I don't use tg that much so if you wanna pm me just add me on WA(number above). I also applied to uk med school last year(and got into St Georges) so you can also ask me on that : )

----Ad----
I can offer interview lesson covering interview technique, important knowledge (eg. ethic theory), my own experience/advice and mock interview practise. Pls pm me if interested.

Hi.

Why did you choose HKU instead of going to st George's?

Do you find the riots affecting your education?
Original post by Anyplace
Hi.

Not trying to bring politics into this discussion - but fyi what's happening in HK are not riots but protests for justice and democracy
Hi.

If you wanna call our fight for democracy and freedom “riot”.

Freedom and democracy are not just “given”, they have to be fought for.
Hi y’all I’m a first year MBBS student at HKU. It seems that so far you guys have not had a WhatsApp group. I’m happy to make a group for you guys, and perhaps answer some of your questions, just drop your numbers below

55666058 is my phone number. You can search my whatsapp through this number. You can call me sharon. I am applying HKU MBBS through non-jupas
Original post by systemsociopath
the cantonese thing freaks me out as well
but i read somewhere you have the option to reply in english, but they'll make a note of it
if the prompt is in cantonese, im doomed lol

I am very worried about the Cantonese bit
Hi.

Lot of reasons: the price, £40k at st Georges vs £0 at HKU(student loan), wanna go to a comprehensive uni instead of just a medical school, wanna go to uni somewhere far from home, future job prospect (1 year housemanship in hk vs 2 years ST + 3 years CT in UK), connections in HK/China, enrichment year with lots of freedom at HKU...

In terms of the social movement (lets stay politically neutral haha), it's hard to say that it has no effect to my study considering the ongoing class suspension. But I wouldn't say my study is too much hindered by that as well. If politic is not your thing, there're lots of english speaking student at HKU that you can hang out with who generally are much less political.
Original post by Anonymous
I am very worried about the Cantonese bit

I know someone in my year who speak Canto pretty poorly, so don't be too worried about it. They probably will just take a note and force you to take a Canto course when you get in. The question is given in written Chinese so you must be able to read Chinese tho.
Reply 67
Lot of reasons: the price, £40k at st Georges vs £0 at HKU(student loan), wanna go to a comprehensive uni instead of just a medical school, wanna go to uni somewhere far from home, future job prospect (1 year housemanship in hk vs 2 years ST + 3 years CT in UK), connections in HK/China, enrichment year with lots of freedom at HKU...

In terms of the social movement (lets stay politically neutral haha), it's hard to say that it has no effect to my study considering the ongoing class suspension. But I wouldn't say my study is too much hindered by that as well. If politic is not your thing, there're lots of english speaking student at HKU that you can hang out with who generally are much less political.

Thank you for this comment! No offense, I was quite worried about the political environment bc of the potential of being excluded from a predominantly local population in the medic program. But this shines some light on my day. Please take care as well.
best of luck to everybody having their interviews today and tomorrow!!
Reply 69
Just attended interview
Questions were very random
Just be yourself, it will be fine
Reply 70
Original post by jimmyli
Just attended interview
Questions were very random
Just be yourself, it will be fine

Was the cantonese part difficult??
Reply 71
Original post by Bdszl
Was the cantonese part difficult??

Easy if you have heard about that quote
My question was given me a quote and discuss
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jimmyli
Easy if you have heard about that quote
My question was give me a quote and discuss

Best of luck, Jimmy.
Reply 73
hi all, just want to know if anyone knows any examples or have personal experiences regarding application as a second degree holder. I graduated from an ivy in the states 2 years ago and planning to apply in next 1-2 years. Doing some self-study now to refresh my high school knowledge in chemistry and biology while working full time. Not sure if I have any chances though as my undergraduate gpa is a bit low (3.5ish, close to 3.6 in a non-chemistry/biology subject).

Does it help to have a decent UCAT/BMAT score or taking maybe AP chemistry / biology? I guess admission officer may not put much weight on these high school exams for a second degree student like me.
Hello fellow students, I’m studying A-levels & applying to CUHK, I have completed my application except for one section

How I am supposed to write my resume/CV?

is it like the typical job resume which has all your skills + experience + education listed, or more like the UCAS statement (an essay)?
any insights and examples would be appreciated!
Thank you and best of luck to all applicants!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 75
hi everyone, any news from HKU?
Reply 76
Still waiting....
Reply 77
Original post by chanby
Still waiting....

I have read the thread of last 2 yrs
Hku may probably start to release the offer on the last week of Jan
HK now preoccupied by virus fears.

It's hard to keep focussed on studying.
Original post by jimmyli
Just got an interview invitation.

For those who are interested in my background, I am graduated from CUHK biochemistry with first class honour and just finished a mphil degree in medical sciences at CUHK. I also applied med school last year but didn’t have any invitation from both CUHK and HKU med school. This is my second attempt and first time to get an interview

Hi! May I ask what was your GPA range for your biochemistry degree. Was it borderline first class honours or way above the boundary for first class honours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending