The Student Room Group

Best Equity and Trusts Textbook?

Hello everyone,

I am starting Equity and Trusts this semester and I was wondering whether someone can reccomend which textbook is the best?

My university recommended Hudson's "Equity and Trusts" (9th edn) or Penner's "The Law of Trusts" (10th edn). However I have heard great things about Virgo's "Principles of Equity and Trusts" and the "Unlocking" series.

I am looking for a book that will explain everything very well, like Bevan's "Land Law" and Ormerod's "Criminal Law" did for their respective subjects.

In light of this, which textbook would you most recommend?

Thank you very much in advance! :smile:
go into your library and read some of the equity and trusts textbooks, this way you can buy the one most suited to you.
Reply 2
Original post by james_law
go into your library and read some of the equity and trusts textbooks, this way you can buy the one most suited to you.

Unfortunately that would be very difficult as most books are on loan (my library has a very limited collection of law books, about 5 copies per edition).

The main reason I am looking for a particular textbook is because I have to buy all of my textbooks in order to be able to complete my studies.
Original post by spyter
Unfortunately that would be very difficult as most books are on loan (my library has a very limited collection of law books, about 5 copies per edition).

The main reason I am looking for a particular textbook is because I have to buy all of my textbooks in order to be able to complete my studies.

There should be a portion of each copy that is not for loan as loaning out every book defeats the concept of a library. I personally wouldn't want to recommend a text book for you as it may not fit your style. That being said the books you have mentioned I would consider them as advanced texts (practitioner text books). I would just ask your teacher to recommend an advanced text book for you.
Penner is good, and also Alistair Hudson.

Have a listen to Hudson's podcasts too - they're really good.

Anything on Quistclose Trusts has to be William Swadling.
Original post by Trinculo

Hi sorry to bother but I’m thinking of studying Edexcel Law AS Level (international) and I’ve been looking for for the books I need to start but they’re not specified!!Is it like English Literature where you have separate books (Othello Purple Hibiscus...) or is it a text book? I know OCR and AQA has a textbook but I can’t find anything for Edexcel Please if you may reply with all the book titles or links necessary to study AS Level Law
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo

Thank you very much for the recommendations!

I did not know about the podcasts so I will definitely check them out!
Reply 7
Original post by james_law
There should be a portion of each copy that is not for loan as loaning out every book defeats the concept of a library. I personally wouldn't want to recommend a text book for you as it may not fit your style. That being said the books you have mentioned I would consider them as advanced texts (practitioner text books). I would just ask your teacher to recommend an advanced text book for you.

I will go tomorrow and ask the librarian about them! Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by AbdelrahmanNasir
Hi sorry to bother but I’m thinking of studying Edexcel Law AS Level (international) and I’ve been looking for for the books I need to start but they’re not specified!!Is it like English Literature where you have separate books (Othello Purple Hibiscus...) or is it a text book? I know OCR and AQA has a textbook but I can’t find anything for Edexcel Please if you may reply with all the book titles or links necessary to study AS Level Law

Hey, since you are doing Law at AS you would not need any of the books that I or anyone else mentioned on this thread. This is because they are university textbooks and contain information that you will not learn at your level. Equity and trusts, especially, is not something taught at A Level, instead you will learn about the English Legal System, Criminal law, Tort law and Contract law.

Moreover, for A Level Law you don't need multiple books like you would for English Literature. You might want to check this link for edexcel:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/law-2015.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments

Alternatively, you might want to email the enrollment centre in order to inquire about using a specific textbook. If they don't have any textbooks for your module, I suggest the AQA AS Law one as I found it very useful when I studied a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Law. The qualification was regulated by Pearson (the regulating body which Edexcel is part of).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending