The Student Room Group

DNA introns

Aren’t introns removed because they are useless. Then why will it increase genetic diversity.image.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Genetic diversity is the total number of genetic characters

A base sequence which produces enzyme in stomach by protein synthesis is exon but that same base sequence is also present in eye cells but that sequence doesn't produce enzyme so intron in eye cell and exon in stomach cell.
Specfic Spliceosome removes not needed intro but other spliceosome will find it useful.

The more the intron the more characteristics rise all over body
Reply 2
Btw where are you doing this questions from,doesn't seem to be ial past papers
Original post by Roha125
Genetic diversity is the total number of genetic characters

A base sequence which produces enzyme in stomach by protein synthesis is exon but that same base sequence is also present in eye cells but that sequence doesn't produce enzyme so intron in eye cell and exon in stomach cell.
Specfic Spliceosome removes not needed intro but other spliceosome will find it useful.

The more the intron the more characteristics rise all over body

Ohh thank you very much, I thought gene diversity is the variety of allele in a gene pool of a species.
It’s Imat the question paper (med Italian admission question paper)
Reply 4
Original post by Ailurophile03
Ohh thank you very much, I thought gene diversity is the variety of allele in a gene pool of a species.
It’s Imat the question paper (med Italian admission question paper)

I think genetic diversity can still be interpreted as variety of allels.The more variety of allels the more genetic characters rise up.

So when is the exam,before or after A2.And goodluck for that
Original post by Roha125
I think genetic diversity can still be interpreted as variety of allels.The more variety of allels the more genetic characters rise up.

So when is the exam,before or after A2.And goodluck for that

So there are 2 definition for genetic diversity.
Before A2😫
Aren’t introns removed because they are useless. Then why will it increase genetic diversity.image.jpg

Have you gone through splicing of mRNA in your studies or any post transcription stuff ?
Its increases diversity for the same reason I explained in your antibody question.
Removal of introns allow you to rearrange exons in different combinations ,so different mature means can be derived from the same pre-mrna ,meaning you can get different proteins made from the same mRNA.

Look at the attached photo for an idea.

Hope this helps clarify somehow.
Original post by bobby147
Have you gone through splicing of mRNA in your studies or any post transcription stuff ?
Its increases diversity for the same reason I explained in your antibody question.
Removal of introns allow you to rearrange exons in different combinations ,so different mature means can be derived from the same pre-mrna ,meaning you can get different proteins made from the same mRNA.

Look at the attached photo for an idea.

Hope this helps clarify somehow.

yes i have done splicing in AS biology
thank u soo much for helping me with these bio questions, are you biology teacher?
Yeah Intron are non coding but not useless. they allow a lot of variation. I'd think of it like 'Zero' , it doesn't contain 'information' but you'd be pretty lost without it and moving it even slightly inside a longer number will significantly change the number.

Or like one of those wee sliding block puzzles, if the blank 'Intron' wasn't there you'd have a hell of a lot less possibilities.

yes i have done splicing in AS biology
thank u soo much for helping me with these bio questions, are you biology teacher?

Nope,I’m a 2nd year undergraduate on placement teacher.Just visit to see if I can help with anything.Helps cause I learn too and refresh or strengthened what I learnt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending