The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Cardiff or Swansea?

I'm just asking what city is best for a Uni student as I'm torn between both.
(edited 4 years ago)
Cardiff, being the Welsh capital, is bigger than Swansea. So it has more clubs, busier etc. The uni and accommodation are slightly more spread out too.

Swansea though is right by the beach and has most of its nightclubs in one street which makes for a fun night out. There are lots of parks and green spaces which make it a really nice place to actually live and its pretty compact with campus' and accommodation. It's only 40 mins from Cardiff by train too and that makes it easy to get around the rest of the country if you want to go home a lot.

In terms of rankings, that depends on your subject. It's worth looking into modules and staff and seeing which suits your interests more. For me, Swansea had more modules and lecturers in my interest niche which is ultimately why I chose it. Plus the help they gave through the whole process and while at uni is useful as well.

If you can, go on open days or give them both a call with questions and that could help you decide.

Good luck!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
I live in Swansea and have visited Cardiff almost every month. Both Universities are good but the only reason many people prefer Cardiff is because of its overall ranking and the fact that it has got a ‘Russell Group’ tag next to it. Cardiff obviously is a bigger place with good nightlife and if you’re a massive sports fan then there are regular international games happening there in Football, Rugby and Cricket. However, Swansea University has been good in the field of Computer Science and Engineering. It’s slowly catching up with Cardiff in the field of Business as well. The nightlife in Swansea isn’t bad at all and if you’re really desperate to experience a Cardiff night out then the train’s not expensive as well (I have a railcard so I usually travel for around £6-7 return). The Cardiff city center is actually huge and you’ll meet all kinds of people there. Swansea is obviously comparatively smaller but has its own charm. As mentioned in another reply, all the clubs are in one street but the night outs are one of the highlights from my stay in Swansea. The beach adds up to the charm, Rhosilli beach is in fact one of the best beaches in the UK! Both cities have their own charm and it’ll really depend on what you like and what course you’re studying in the uni.
Swansea obviously 😂
Reply 4
Original post by Lizzillo
Cardiff, being the Welsh capital, is bigger than Swansea. So it has more clubs, busier etc. The uni and accommodation are slightly more spread out too.

Swansea though is right by the beach and has most of its nightclubs in one street which makes for a fun night out. There are lots of parks and green spaces which make it a really nice place to actually live and its pretty compact with campus' and accommodation. It's only 40 mins from Cardiff by train too and that makes it easy to get around the rest of the country if you want to go home a lot.

In terms of rankings, that depends on your subject. It's worth looking into modules and staff and seeing which suits your interests more. For me, Swansea had more modules and lecturers in my interest niche which is ultimately why I chose it. Plus the help they gave through the whole process and while at uni is useful as well.

If you can, go on open days or give them both a call with questions and that could help you decide.

Good luck!

Thankyou for this, I'd be studying Law with Criminology so I'm not sure which to pick lmao
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I live in Swansea and have visited Cardiff almost every month. Both Universities are good but the only reason many people prefer Cardiff is because of its overall ranking and the fact that it has got a ‘Russell Group’ tag next to it. Cardiff obviously is a bigger place with good nightlife and if you’re a massive sports fan then there are regular international games happening there in Football, Rugby and Cricket. However, Swansea University has been good in the field of Computer Science and Engineering. It’s slowly catching up with Cardiff in the field of Business as well. The nightlife in Swansea isn’t bad at all and if you’re really desperate to experience a Cardiff night out then the train’s not expensive as well (I have a railcard so I usually travel for around £6-7 return). The Cardiff city center is actually huge and you’ll meet all kinds of people there. Swansea is obviously comparatively smaller but has its own charm. As mentioned in another reply, all the clubs are in one street but the night outs are one of the highlights from my stay in Swansea. The beach adds up to the charm, Rhosilli beach is in fact one of the best beaches in the UK! Both cities have their own charm and it’ll really depend on what you like and what course you’re studying in the uni.

I'd be on the Law with Criminology course so not sure which to go for as I'd imagine Cardiff would be better? Again, I'm looking for a place that gives me the best quality of life aswell as I dont want to turn up and find myself isolated within a month with nothing to do.
Original post by WelshKopite
I'd be on the Law with Criminology course so not sure which to go for as I'd imagine Cardiff would be better? Again, I'm looking for a place that gives me the best quality of life aswell as I dont want to turn up and find myself isolated within a month with nothing to do.

I’d recommend looking at some students’ reviews from both universities and why they preferred their university over the other. Usually I’d be more of a guy who looks at the reviews and the course structure rather than the rankings. I’d recommend going to the Open Days if possible.
From my experience when I came to Swansea the first time, I used to live in the outskirts near the motorway so I felt a bit isolated but when I met new people and started going to the town more often, I started loving it here. Studying in the uni, join as many societies as you can and you won’t feel isolated/alone at all. Cardiff is actually not far so in case you like Swansea uni, you can go to Cardiff without any hesitation!
which one did you finally choose?
Original post by WelshKopite

I've heard great things about the criminology course, including passionate lecturers! i'll hopefully be taking the criminology and criminal justice course there, and I also had a sibling go to swansea and enjoy it. cardiff isn't much different, but if you're looking at location - since they're so close (as someone else said) you can easily travel to cardiff. For the course of criminology itself, i'd trust swansea more (especially because it has so many course options, it can mean high success rates), and travel to cardiff to see friends and see the city. larger cities also have more opportunity for worse areas and such, and in my time visiting? i wouldn't really want to live there myself for 3 years, but smaller doses of cardiff were great. plenty of people at swansea would be happy to travel to cardiff for a night out every now and again, i'm sure - you have to remember students are itching to go out anywhere. I'd say it just depends on whether you want to live in a quieter place and have easy travel, or a louder place where it's right next door
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest