The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ additional maths

Hi, my school has just decided to offer certain people this qualification if we self teach it, as I only have 4 months till the exam I’m a bit worried that there isn’t enough time, does anybody have any resources or tips that will help me do well in such a small amount of time :smile:
Do you have the OCR Advanced FSMQ textbook? (I used the one by Stephen Doyle). Start there and then do practice papers under timed conditions. You still have quite a while before the exam! Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Umaurma
Do you have the OCR Advanced FSMQ textbook? (I used the one by Stephen Doyle). Start there and then do practice papers under timed conditions. You still have quite a while before the exam! Good luck :smile:

I don’t have a textbook but my teacher said my school will let me borrow one, is there are a lot of content?
Reply 3
It is quite tricky - don't do it unless you are very good at Maths and can spare time for it. It is considered the same level as an A level/AS (but of smaller size) so a C would be considered the same standard as a grade 7.

If you do decide to do it but decide it's not going well then your school can withdraw you and get a full refund of the fee up to 21 April,
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
It is quite tricky - don't do it unless you are very good at Maths and can spare time for it. It is considered the same level as an A level/AS (but of smaller size) so a C would be considered the same standard as a grade 7.

If you do decide to do it but decide it's not going well then your school can withdraw you and get a full refund of the fee up to 21 April,

Ok, I’m currently predicted a 9 in maths and my teacher says that I am capable of doing well I’m just worried that I won’t have enough time to cover all of the content
Seriously - this is FAR too late - focus on your Maths and other GCDEs. [Btw I teach Maths]
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Seriously - this is FAR too late - focus on your Maths and other GCDEs. [Btw I teach Maths]

That’s what I was worried about, do you think that I will be at a disadvantage for when I start doing a level maths and a level further maths?
(edited 4 years ago)
Quote not working ...

NO - many schools don't even offer it - just do some prep work over the summer :smile:
Original post by Emily~3695
I don’t have a textbook but my teacher said my school will let me borrow one, is there are a lot of content?

Tbh there is not really that much content at all but there are new topics like binomial series and kinematics which you don't do at GCSE. The final exam is also after all your other GCSEs are done (lol i left a lot of revision to those 4 days- don't do that).
Reply 9
Original post by Umaurma
Tbh there is not really that much content at all but there are new topics like binomial series and kinematics which you don't do at GCSE. The final exam is also after all your other GCSEs are done (lol i left a lot of revision to those 4 days- don't do that).

Thanks for the advice but tbh I don’t think I’m gonna do it because I don’t have that long left and I want to make sure that I get a 9 in GCSE maths and I also need to focus on other subjects like English which I’m not great at, thanks for all of your help though, do you do a level maths/further maths?
Thanks for the advice but tbh I don’t think I’m gonna do it because I don’t have that long left and I want to make sure that I get a 9 in GCSE maths and I also need to focus on other subjects like English which I’m not great at, thanks for all of your help though, do you do a level maths/further maths?

No worries :smile: focusing on your other subjects is much better! yeah I do both (y13)
we did fsmq last year at my high school, in which we had to self-teach it too. i think it is manageable if you're good at maths (if you're predicted a 9 you'll probably be able to do it :smile:). i started teaching it to myself quite late, but as long as you make sure to cover the main big topics (differentiation, integration, logs, binomial expansion etc.), i think you'll be fine.

that being said, only 2 of us out of about 10 got an A, with many people getting Ds and stuff. so i think it really depends on your mathematical ability. try some past papers then see what you have to work on!

although you don't need it for a level maths, i thought it was really useful, as basically everything we learnt in the first term in maths was stuff that i'd already covered in fsmq. don't prioritise it over other subjects tho... it's one of the last exams, so if you're a quick learner, you can just do the revision for it the weekend before. obviously this depends on how easy you pick up topics (harder when u have to teach yourself!)

i'd recommend that massive fsmq textbook. i didnt use all of it, but it was useful using the practice questions in it.

overall, i say you may as well try it, as not much is lost even if you don't get an a. (just focus on ur gcses more :smile:)
Original post by casabonita
we did fsmq last year at my high school, in which we had to self-teach it too. i think it is manageable if you're good at maths (if you're predicted a 9 you'll probably be able to do it :smile:). i started teaching it to myself quite late, but as long as you make sure to cover the main big topics (differentiation, integration, logs, binomial expansion etc.), i think you'll be fine.

that being said, only 2 of us out of about 10 got an A, with many people getting Ds and stuff. so i think it really depends on your mathematical ability. try some past papers then see what you have to work on!

although you don't need it for a level maths, i thought it was really useful, as basically everything we learnt in the first term in maths was stuff that i'd already covered in fsmq. don't prioritise it over other subjects tho... it's one of the last exams, so if you're a quick learner, you can just do the revision for it the weekend before. obviously this depends on how easy you pick up topics (harder when u have to teach yourself!)

i'd recommend that massive fsmq textbook. i didnt use all of it, but it was useful using the practice questions in it.

overall, i say you may as well try it, as not much is lost even if you don't get an a. (just focus on ur gcses more :smile:)

Thanks for your advice, I think I will probably go over some of the topics before I start year 12 but not actually do the exam as I should probably prioritise subjects that I’m not very good at for GCSES and people in the other top set got told about it in September so I think I have left it too long anyway, I don’t want to do worse in other subjects but thanks for your advice :smile:
Original post by Umaurma
No worries :smile: focusing on your other subjects is much better! yeah I do both (y13)

Did you do any preparation for further maths after year 11 as I’m a bit worried that I’m going to struggle in September, what other subjects are you doing as I’m planning on doing physics and chemistry but I’m a bit worried that it will be too much work?
Thanks for your advice, I think I will probably go over some of the topics before I start year 12 but not actually do the exam as I should probably prioritise subjects that I’m not very good at for GCSES and people in the other top set got told about it in September so I think I have left it too long anyway, I don’t want to do worse in other subjects but thanks for your advice :smile:

that's a good idea! really gives you a head start in a level maths. especially since most people taking further maths at a level too will have done some type of further maths gcse :smile:
Did you do any preparation for further maths after year 11 as I’m a bit worried that I’m going to struggle in September, what other subjects are you doing as I’m planning on doing physics and chemistry but I’m a bit worried that it will be too much work?

We set holiday work over the summer - ask your school to do the same, Perhaps you could borrow the FMSQ text over the summer/

Please don't worry - I teach in a high performing school and we don't do FMSQ yet get really good A level results.
Original post by Muttley79
We set holiday work over the summer - ask your school to do the same, Perhaps you could borrow the FMSQ text over the summer/

Please don't worry - I teach in a high performing school and we don't do FMSQ yet get really good A level results.

Ok thanks, this makes me feel much more confident :smile:

I do physics and economics. I’m not sure how your school teaches the two but at mine we learn all the a level content and then all the FM content- to take both exams at the end of y13. I didn’t do much preparation over the summer other than the pack of questions. Maybe look at the FMSQ content (you learn it all pretty quickly at a level) over the summer?
As long as you manage your time well it should be ok. I have a friend who does maths, FM, physics and chem- she seems to be managing fine along with lots of extra curriculars. Physics is the worst for me...

Quick Reply

Latest