The Student Room Group

America on the world stage

[video="youtube;28C1KeGdIkc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28C1KeGdIkc[/video]

Every country leader ignores America because America has lost all its credibility.
Presidents come and go. Its not the first time the U.S has proved controversial and will almost certainly not be the last one.

I'm not a Trump fan and I'm certainly not going to vote for him in November, but international relations has always been a shaky stage. It's not as if Britain/France lost complete credibility on the global stage during Suez. It's not as if Saudi Arabia didn't get a complete condemnation for Jamal Khashoggi. It's not as if Germany lost credibility under its fascist phase during 1936/8.

It happens. It will almost certainly become irrelevant within the next 3 decades
Reply 2
Original post by Volkerbund1933

I'm not a Trump fan and I'm certainly not going to vote for him in November, but international relations has always been a shaky stage. It's not as if Britain/France lost complete credibility on the global stage during Suez.

In fairness that was rather Americas fault...
It's not as if Saudi Arabia didn't get a complete condemnation for Jamal Khashoggi.

It did? They seem to be pootling along quite nicely.
It's not as if Germany lost credibility under its fascist phase during 1936/8.

I'm not sure they lost credibility per-se if anything people took them far more seriously with the whole, you know, world domination shtick
Original post by Napp
In fairness that was rather Americas fault...

It did? They seem to be pootling along quite nicely.

I'm not sure they lost credibility per-se if anything people took them far more seriously with the whole, you know, world domination shtick

Even if the end of the Suez Crisis was the US's fault, that almost certainly would not have saved Britain and France from the outrage of the USSR and the Arab World

Well as I suggested- It happens and moves on. Saudi Arabia certainly experienced that with the Jamal stuff fading away now. So yes despite whatever happens with the orange man, most stuff wouldn't be permanent as another President's administration forges a different image and so on. It's not as if people are still treating Margaret Thatcher's or Churchill's premiership as 100% symbolic of Britain in the 20th Century.

With respect to Germany, appeasement seemed to be the path with Britain/France thinking Germany would stop. Clearly they couldn't rely after Czechoslovakia so I think that counts as losing credibility. Perhaps the little conflict afterwards may have overshadowed that period, you could say.
If only America would aspire to China's human rights policies.
Original post by Volkerbund1933
I'm not a Trump fan and I'm certainly not going to vote for him in November, but international relations has always been a shaky stage. It's not as if Britain/France lost complete credibility on the global stage during Suez.

They did, however, lose a large chunk of credibility which Britain in particular has never recovered. It made it clear that Britain and France's positions as superpowers were done, they were Tier 2 powers now.
Reply 6
Original post by Just my opinion

In fairness to China they werent shown be operating an international network of torture and murder sites...
Reply 7
Original post by Just my opinion

The US has the propensity to be extremely evil when it needs to be. It is not a country with a respectable human rights record. It was and is still engaged in human rights abuses far worse than any other country on the face of this Earth.

Your reply kind of reminded me of this documentary by John Pilger.

http://johnpilger.com/videos/the-coming-war-on-china

Its free. Watch it whenever you have time. It will show you a thing or two about America's wonderful human rights record that might discourage you from showing it off again.

I highly recommend Mr Pilger to all prospective journalists. Maybe they can learn from him a thing or two about ethics in journalism that might inspire them to think outside the box, and to perhaps also have the courage to say the truth at the cost of becoming demonised, marginalised and ostracised.

P.S. In regard to this thread, I always find it funny how these wealthy, powerful women have the audacity to talk, in their ten thousand dollar suits, about being victimised. You are not victims. You are the most privileged of us all.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending