The Student Room Group

Transferring to Liverpool

Hello there everyone,
Sorry if this is long just my head is so scrambled I have no idea what to do.
I am currently at the University of Kent studying European studies with Spanish in my first year. Kent was not my first choice as unfortunately I stuggled during my A levels. First of all I think Kent is a brilliant Uni and one that unforunately doesnt deserve to have fallen down the rankings as badly as it has done. I do think the teaching is really good for my Spanish and Italian language modules however I am doing some politics modules as well which I think are poorly taught. I do have quite a few friends here and they are all really nice. However, the city of Canterbury I dont particularly like so much so I think I may only have been down there 4 or 5 times ahahahah.

Well heres my problem. My girlfriend told me that a friend of hers transferred to Exeter from a uni that is similar to Kent in the league tables. The idea got in my head to try for a russel group Uni to change my degree to Hispanic studies and Italian something that I think suits me better in regards to the different modules. I have just received an offer from Liverpool. I have no idea what do because I am worried about changing Universities socially speaking and also settling in. I am a very social and confident person so I would say I can make friends easily. I do think I would miss some of my friends here though but I just cant get the idea out of my head especially to how poorly kent is doing in the league tables atm and the benefit of a russel group degree on my CV.

What do you guys think???? Advice needed!!!!!!!!1 Last edited by rendog; 4 hours ago 0 Edit quote reply
I’m currently in my first year at Liverpool after doing a full year and then deciding to change courses, meaning I’m having to resit my first year on the new course. I found that the transition was easy, and as long as you’re confident you can quickly make new friends. I’m not sure where Kent is on the table, but I think having RG status on a CV might be beneficial. I also have a friend at Leicester who’s looking to move to Liverpool in September, and he’s looking forward to getting to a nicer city with a better night life

In the end, you made friends at Kent and I’m sure you’ll make new ones wherever you go; I wouldn’t let people you’ve known a few months hold you back from doing something you want to do!
Reply 2
Original post by Thesecret619r
I’m currently in my first year at Liverpool after doing a full year and then deciding to change courses, meaning I’m having to resit my first year on the new course. I found that the transition was easy, and as long as you’re confident you can quickly make new friends. I’m not sure where Kent is on the table, but I think having RG status on a CV might be beneficial. I also have a friend at Leicester who’s looking to move to Liverpool in September, and he’s looking forward to getting to a nicer city with a better night life

In the end, you made friends at Kent and I’m sure you’ll make new ones wherever you go; I wouldn’t let people you’ve known a few months hold you back from doing something you want to do!

Hey there! Please tell me, what do you think of Liverpool? Do you like it? Is it an easy environment that you recommend? I completely understand what youre saying about the friends part. Whilst I am close with my friends here, I could probably make friends anywhere so it shoudlnt be one of my major concerns. What do you think?
Original post by rendog
Hello there everyone,
I am currently at the University of Kent studying European studies with Spanish in my first year. Kent was not my first choice as unfortunately I stuggled during my A levels. First of all I think Kent is a brilliant Uni and one that unforunately doesnt deserve to have fallen down the rankings as badly as it has done. I do think the teaching is really good for my Spanish and Italian language modules however I am doing some politics modules as well which I think are poorly taught. I do have quite a few friends here and they are all really nice. However, the city of Canterbury I dont particularly like so much so I think I may only have been down there 4 or 5 times ahahahah.

Well heres my problem. My girlfriend told me that a friend of hers transferred to Exeter from a uni that is similar to Kent in the league tables. The idea got in my head to try for a russel group Uni to change my degree to Hispanic studies and Italian something that I think suits me better in regards to the different modules. I have just received an offer from Liverpool. I have no idea what do because I am worried about changing Universities socially speaking and also settling in. I am a very social and confident person so I would say I can make friends easily. I do think I would miss some of my friends here though but I just cant get the idea out of my head especially to how poorly kent is doing in the league tables atm and the benefit of a russel group degree on my CV.

What do you guys think???? Advice needed!!!!!!!!1 Last edited by rendog; 4 hours ago 0 Edit quote reply

Im thinking of transferring as well, how and when did you apply for it?
Original post by rendog
Hello there everyone,

I think it can be difficult to fit in socially if you transfer into Year 2 but you wouldn't have those issues if you started from Year 1 as you would be like any other Fresher, just a bit more experienced. However, if you're happy at Kent I would personally stick with it as I doubt it will hold you back in life going to Kent compared to Liverpool.

Liverpool may be Russell group but is considered one of the weaker ones in the group and most employers don't care about RG anyway - Kent is still a decent uni. I think it's only worth people transferring to a different uni if they are unhappy at the uni they are currently at or if there is a huge gap between the two unis
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
I think it can be difficult to fit in socially if you transfer into Year 2 but you wouldn't have those issues if you started from Year 1 as you would be like any other Fresher, just a bit more experienced. However, if you're happy at Kent I would personally stick with it as I doubt it will hold you back in life going to Kent compared to Liverpool.

Liverpool may be Russell group but is considered one of the weaker ones in the group and most employers don't care about RG anyway - Kent is still a decent uni. I think it's only worth people transferring to a different uni if they are unhappy at the uni they are currently at or if there is a huge gap between the two unis

Hey there Harrys bar,,

Thank you so much for your advice. I completely understand what youre saying. In regards to the social problem, I do back myself to make new friends as I always put myself out there in class and play sport as well which is a great way to make friends. I am so torn as to what to do. Part of me would really want to be in a buzzing city as well which Kent just cant offer and I really prefer this course compared to the slightly more political one at Kent.
Im just a bit worried that Kent is going to continue to slide down as it is on a bit of a downward trajectory.

Thank you Harrys bar
Original post by rendog
Hey there Harrys bar,,

Thank you so much for your advice. I completely understand what youre saying. In regards to the social problem, I do back myself to make new friends as I always put myself out there in class and play sport as well which is a great way to make friends. I am so torn as to what to do. Part of me would really want to be in a buzzing city as well which Kent just cant offer and I really prefer this course compared to the slightly more political one at Kent.
Im just a bit worried that Kent is going to continue to slide down as it is on a bit of a downward trajectory.

Thank you Harrys bar

That's ok and at the end of the day you have to do what you think will make you happiest regardless of what anyone else thinks

Quick Reply

Latest