The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature Paper 1 and 2 Revision and Study Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Endola
I'm doing Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, Power and Conflict poetry

same as me :smile:
Original post by Khnz
Anyone doing blood brothers, Romeo and Juliet or a Christmas carol. :smile:

I'm doing a Christmas carol but not the other 2 :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by JoeAmo15
I have my mock on Wednesday. English lit paper 2. Inspector Calls and power and Conflict poems. Anyone else

i did them in december it wasnt too hard
I'm doing Great Expectations, Macbeth, Animal Farm and the power and conflict poems. First mock is tomorrow. I'm absolutely terrified
Original post by Khnz
Anyone doing blood brothers, Romeo and Juliet or a Christmas carol

I'm doing a Christmas Carol
Original post by PizzaMan2989
Does anyone mind giving feedback on this question, please

Compare ‘London’ and one other poem about power from the power and conflict anthology

Notably, both poems ‘London’ and ‘Checking Out My History’ explore how patriarchal society and those in power can cause problems, showing the damaging effects of exploited children.

Blake demonstrates the effect of patriarchal society and its damaging effects in “Blight with plagues the marriage hearse.” The oxymoronic device used, emphasis the corrupt nature of the time and perhaps criticises Christanitys views on marriage. A marriage which is meant to be a symbol of love, that represents happiness and joy is tarnished with the sexually transmitted diseases Blake hints at(“plagues”). It suggests to the reader that the life of “new-born infants” are “cursed” due to male-dominated society of the 1800s, creating pathos for the poor and vulnerable children.The cyclic and monotonous lives of those living in London is explored through the use of a regular ABAB rhyme scheme and regular quatrains. Perhaps Blake is acknowledging the repetitive suffering that the exploited “Chimney sweepers” and “Youthful harlots” were forced into whilst living in London during the Industrial revolution. Furthermore, it is clear by all the emphasis on suffering children that his purpose was to demonstrate the damaging impacts on child exploitation and reveal the effects of male sexual desire within a highly patriarchal society. Ultimately it also being the last line of the poem offers no hope further adumbrating the suffering. This idea that society exploits children is also evident in Agard’s ‘Checking Out Me History’: “Dem tell me bout Lord Nelson and all that..Dem tell me...Shaka the great Zulu.” The use of Agard's colloquial spellings and references to important black historical figures forces readers to acknowledge his identity; which is similar to how Blake wished for the monarchy, at the time of his writing, to acknowledge the suffering of children in London. Moreover, the repetition of the collective noun “Dem”(them) emphasises his idea that people in power can corrupt others' knowledge - evident where children in French and British Imperialist countries fail to learn about and embrace Afro-Caribbean culture. Structurally, Agard's use of enjambment reflects the angry tone of the poem where he is unable to control his emotions and in retrospect to Blake tries to show how people in power can be resisted by those being oppressed.

Ultimately, both Blake and Agard wish to express their anger towards the highly patriarchal society of the times they were writing and illustrate how they can corrupt and exploit children's lives. They both demonstrate the damaging effects of it, to the point where Blake feels as if there is no sense of hope for their futures. Agard, on the other hand, wishes to make a statement about how it is possible to fight back.

Wow, that's really great analysis. The only thing I would say is to try and include more comparisons. Instead of writing a PEE/PEEC/PETAl on one poem, and then saying "this is similar/different to" and then doing another PEE/PEEC/PETAL, try and intertwine them both into one paragraph. (So like point, point, evidence, evidence, analysis,analysis)
Reply 46
Original post by Evil Homer
Welcome to GCSE AQA English Literature Revision and Study Chat! :hi:

The exam timetable is:
Wednesday 13th May: Paper 1 (2484381)
Thursday 21st May: Paper 2 (2484412)

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? What have you started doing to prepare for your exams? Comment down below! :h:

How to prepare for exams (general tips)

This thread is for anyone studying GCSE English Literature(AQA)
. Chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Help each other revise, study and share resources. Good luck everyone :goodluck: :dumbells:

Paper 1: Romeo & Juliet, A Christmas Carol
Paper 2: An Inspector Calls and Poetry

anyone else the same?
Original post by lubasud
Paper 1: Romeo & Juliet, A Christmas Carol
Paper 2: An Inspector Calls and Poetry

anyone else the same?

I’m doing the same, are you doing love and relationships poetry?
Revision tips

Im doing Much Ado and A Christmas carol

•Context: I made mind maps

For quotes
Flashcards:
- wrote the quote on one side, highlighted key words
- on the other side I wrote the theme it showed and any language devices
- underneath that i wrote an analysis of the quote, and any of the language devices/ key words
- add any context if needed
•A sheet of quotes:
- on the BEST key quotes of my flash cards, i typed them up on a word document and spaced it out so i had one quote per line, and a good amount of space between each quote
- i had about 1 sheet of quotes PER CHAPTER
- print it out
- pick out key words, language devices, themes and highlight it using a KEY
- annotate the quotes/lang devices/specific words: EXPLODE THE QUOTE (look this up)
- I would say to do this nearer to exam/ mocks so u can really TEST YOURSELF on typing up the BEST quotes that you remember (add any after if you’ve forgotten) & annotating the quotes WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR NOTES
Reply 49
Original post by Emily~3695
I’m doing the same, are you doing love and relationships poetry?

power and conflict
Original post by Endola
I'm doing Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, Power and Conflict poetry

hi :hi: I did all of these and got an 8 last year, if you need any help just message me! :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
hi :hi: I did all of these and got an 8 last year, if you need any help just message me! :smile:

Heyy how many a Christmas Carol quotes did you learn and how did you revise for it :smile:)) well done on the 8!!!

Do you have any advice for a Christmas carol and an inspector calls, I would really love to get an 8 in summer but I’m not sure if it is possible as I am only working at a 6
Original post by Year11Student:)
Heyy how many a Christmas Carol quotes did you learn and how did you revise for it :smile:)) well done on the 8!!!

I reread all of my texts a few times outside of school (A Christmas Carol only once I think though as I found it pretty dull :laugh:) so it meant that I could remember random ones e.g. Mrs Cratchit had a ‘twice turned gown’. I used Mr Salles’ YouTube channel for ACC quite a bit, also Stacey Reay’s one too.
I revised themes (family, poverty, reconciliation etc) and characters (Scrooge, Fred, Bob Cratchit, the ghosts etc) as they’re the two types of questions you can get, but also at how the characters link to the themes :smile:
Probably two quotes per character (maybe not really obvious ones like Scrooge being ‘solitary as an oyster’ however these do come in useful if you’ve forgotten the rest!) but try and also make the quotes match up with a theme too :smile:
(See below too)
Original post by Emily~3695
Do you have any advice for a Christmas carol and an inspector calls, I would really love to get an 8 in summer but I’m not sure if it is possible as I am only working at a 6

It’s totally possible! I was only working at a 6-7 for the whole course, the adrenaline of the exam just meant I write loads and had some cool ideas to write about :lol:
I used Mr Salles on YouTube, he does specific videos for both of the those texts (and others!) targeted for grades 7,8,9 which I found helpful! :smile:
mindmaps about characters and themes.
I found that I couldn’t really sit down and write practise essays, so instead I would do essay plans:
bullet point your ideas for your paragraphs, write a write down that might help and explain how that links in 1-2 sentences or in note form :smile:
It’s totally possible! I was only working at a 6-7 for the whole course, the adrenaline of the exam just meant I write loads and had some cool ideas to write about :lol:
I used Mr Salles on YouTube, he does specific videos for both of the those texts (and others!) targeted for grades 7,8,9 which I found helpful! :smile:
mindmaps about characters and themes.
I found that I couldn’t really sit down and write practise essays, so instead I would do essay plans:
bullet point your ideas for your paragraphs, write a write down that might help and explain how that links in 1-2 sentences or in note form :smile:

Ok thanks this is really helpful :smile:
I
Original post by azz148
Any1 else struggling on macbeth? Like LOTF and J n H I find so much more straightforward or is it just me?

So hard!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
I have an essay on Macbeth I could share with you. Also, if anyone needs any help with essay writing I am more than happy to help. Look above on this thread for more information on what I did for English Lit.

Please share me this essay
....’djjsjsjsj
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
If you guys need any help, feel free to PM me. I got an A* in English Lit at GCSE last year.

These are the texts I studied:
- A Christmas Carol
- Macbeth
- Short Stories
- Poetry - Love and Relationships
- Unseen poetry

Exam board: AQA

Good luck with your GCSE’s guys!

do you lose marks if you don't know the poets name? I always forget the name of the poets and i just write 'the poet' is that alright?
Original post by NVT_Student
do you lose marks if you don't know the poets name? I always forget the name of the poets and i just write 'the poet' is that alright?

They give you a list of poets with their poem in the exam don’t worry (aqa not edexcel if that’s what ur doing)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending