The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde or UOG??

I have had an offer from Strathclyde and UOG for Civil engineering for 2020. My problem is deciding what university to choose, at the moment UOG is ranked higher than Strathclyde on the league tables. However Strathclyde seems like an amazing university. If any current students could help me with my problem PLEASE!.
Original post by Anonymous
I have had an offer from Strathclyde and UOG for Civil engineering for 2020. My problem is deciding what university to choose, at the moment UOG is ranked higher than Strathclyde on the league tables. However Strathclyde seems like an amazing university. If any current students could help me with my problem PLEASE!.

i would say go with where you feel most at home and comfortable, rather than based on a position in which a university is ranked. Of course that can be important but weight up all the factors eg. uni atmosphere, accommodation, part of the city - central for Strathclyde vs west end for Glasgow, student and staff communication/feedback. so many things play a huge role in deciding the perfect uni for you. don’t worry, you will have so much time to decide, i think till may 5th is when we have to get back with our decision. go to offer holder days which are usually in March/April to see the uni’s one last time. it will hopefully help you make your mind up!

btw i’m not a current student, i’ve applied to both these uni’s this year along with Edinburgh, St Andrews and Aberdeen. So far I have an unconditional for Strathclyde and conditional for Glasgow so these are the factors i’m considering when i’m making up my mind! Hope this helps :smile:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Hi I am a strathclyder over here.

I had an unconditional for neuroscience at Glasgow and an immunology conditional offer from strath (Year 2 entry).

One reason I picked Strath is because I loveeeee the location, it's in the city centre so it's amazing in terms of travel links, christmas markets and, there are lots of shops and restaurants to go to after a long day of lessons. It definitely has a more modern vibe to it whereas Glasgow has more of a classy traditional feel.

The only reason I was stuck between choosing Glasgow and Strath was because of Glasgow's reputation. I personally didn't really like the atmosphere during the open day. It wasn't bad but it seemed very 'not me'. I feel like Strath is a uni that punches above its weight, has a sort of 'underdog' feel to it, you could say, but doesn't get a lot of recognition because it's not Glasgow. However, I was okay with that and made the right decision for me.

I'm in my final semester and I'm sad to be leaving strath behind! Had the best 3 years in education at this place :smile: Of course, it's not easy but everyone is really welcoming and friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending