The Student Room Group

Moving away for apprenticeship at 18 advice

Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying for apprenticeships and many of the schemes which I would like to be part of are quite far away.

This would most likely mean that I'd have to move away from home at 18 yo and I'm not sure if I'd be able to financially.

I am wondering if anybody has been in this position before and how you have managed to do this?
I am also asking for general advice in terms of bills and such?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I’d did exactly the same! I moved from Kent to Edinburgh. The key is get your parents to help you plan initially, they’ll know what kind of expenses you’re most likely to have.

Also, when you look for places, look to see if bills and council tax are included, quite often they’re not so it may look like £609 per month, but adding bills and council tax can easily increase the cost by £100.

Where would be looking at moving to?

And feel free to ask any other questions!
Reply 2
Original post by mattyp502
Hi, I’d did exactly the same! I moved from Kent to Edinburgh. The key is get your parents to help you plan initially, they’ll know what kind of expenses you’re most likely to have.

Also, when you look for places, look to see if bills and council tax are included, quite often they’re not so it may look like £609 per month, but adding bills and council tax can easily increase the cost by £100.

Where would be looking at moving to?

And feel free to ask any other questions!

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response, it is nice to know that somebody else has gone through this :smile:

I am currently looking at the Midlands area and/or Bristol as part of apprenticeships which pay between 12-15k per year. I have read that renting places can be tricky if you do not yet have a stable income.

How did your financial situation look at the start if you don't mind me asking?

Kind Regards
Original post by togs11
Hello,

Thank you for your quick response, it is nice to know that somebody else has gone through this :smile:

I am currently looking at the Midlands area and/or Bristol as part of apprenticeships which pay between 12-15k per year. I have read that renting places can be tricky if you do not yet have a stable income.

How did your financial situation look at the start if you don't mind me asking?

Kind Regards

Hi,

No worries at all!

I started on £17200 and up until April, my financial situation was decent. I normally had 30-100 spare cash at the end of each month. From April to October, April was when the tax started to hit and October I got a pay rise, money was notably tighter. Going from £1,440 to just shy of £1300 meant that I wasn’t able to do as much for sure.

Bare in mind my rent was £600, bills £25-50 depending on the month, council tax £35 (I shared with 3 others).

My advise is look at SpareRooms as for example I. Edinburgh, all in is often 600-650 but renting on your own is 650 for rent only, then you have to add on bills/council tax etc.
Reply 4
Hi,

No worries at all!

I started on £17200 and up until April, my financial situation was decent. I normally had 30-100 spare cash at the end of each month. From April to October, April was when the tax started to hit and October I got a pay rise, money was notably tighter. Going from £1,440 to just shy of £1300 meant that I wasn’t able to do as much for sure.

Bare in mind my rent was £600, bills £25-50 depending on the month, council tax £35 (I shared with 3 others).

My advise is look at SpareRooms as for example I. Edinburgh, all in is often 600-650 but renting on your own is 650 for rent only, then you have to add on bills/council tax etc.

Wow that's is a good starting salary :smile:.

Thanks for the advice, I just checked the website and it does seem to be reasonable.

Ill be honest with you though, it seems to be expensive to not have much disposable income left over.

Has that been alright for you and stuff you have wanted to do i.e holidays ?
Original post by togs11
Wow that's is a good starting salary :smile:.

Thanks for the advice, I just checked the website and it does seem to be reasonable.

Ill be honest with you though, it seems to be expensive to not have much disposable income left over.

Has that been alright for you and stuff you have wanted to do i.e holidays ?

Thanks, I’m training to be a chartered accountant so the money is decent.

The thing is, having let’s say 50 quid left over isn’t that bad, you’d be surprised with how far money can go if you plan well.

For holiday and flying home etc, my parents paid for it for my first year, fortunately my parents earn a decent salary and can help me out in that way. This year tho I’m going to try to rely on them a lot less, as I now have more money and am saving a lot better. I generally visited my parents every 2/3 months.

If you plan on visiting home often, you should try and take that into account if you know you’re going to have to pay for it. Would you have to travel far?

If you don’t mind me asking, what apprenticeship are you looking at applying for?
Reply 6
Thanks, I’m training to be a chartered accountant so the money is decent.

The thing is, having let’s say 50 quid left over isn’t that bad, you’d be surprised with how far money can go if you plan well.

For holiday and flying home etc, my parents paid for it for my first year, fortunately my parents earn a decent salary and can help me out in that way. This year tho I’m going to try to rely on them a lot less, as I now have more money and am saving a lot better. I generally visited my parents every 2/3 months.

If you plan on visiting home often, you should try and take that into account if you know you’re going to have to pay for it. Would you have to travel far?

If you don’t mind me asking, what apprenticeship are you looking at applying for?

Oh nice, that's pretty good then. Not surprised that you can go far with £50 as an accountant!:cool:

I live in the north of England so it would be quite a bit to travel (looking right now at trains, it is around £80 for a return train ticket) so some budgeting would be required hah.

I am applying for higher engineering apprenticeships for Jaguar and Airbus.
Original post by togs11
Oh nice, that's pretty good then. Not surprised that you can go far with £50 as an accountant!:cool:

I live in the north of England so it would be quite a bit to travel (looking right now at trains, it is around £80 for a return train ticket) so some budgeting would be required hah.

I'm on a gap year and thinking of applying for some apprenticeships too (Software engineering).

Most of them are based in London so I'd have to take into account expenses when travelling back home by train too.

I'd be 19 and living alone for the first time: petrifying but exhilarating at the same time! :u:
Original post by togs11

Haha! IMO £80 isn’t too bad for a return, my flights are between £80-130.

Those will be good apprenticeships!

It’s a scary time but well worth it in the long run imo!
Reply 9
Haha! IMO £80 isn’t too bad for a return, my flights are between £80-130.

Those will be good apprenticeships!

Bloody hell and that's just domestic! Crazy hah. Might as well go to Alicante with Jet2.com for just £25!

Cheers, hopefully I am able to get onto them :smile:
Reply 10
Well, London has the biggest costs but the biggest salaries, right?

I'm sure the gap year will be a great experience which can lend itself to moving away.
Original post by togs11
Bloody hell and that's just domestic! Crazy hah. Might as well go to Alicante with Jet2.com for just £25!

Cheers, hopefully I am able to get onto them :smile:

Haha yea, not cheap! But I chose to fly BA rather than Easyjet so it’s going to cost a little bit more, but I don’t mind that cos I prefer BA
Hi I’m in the same position but 19 (gap year!)
Reply 13
Haha yea, not cheap! But I chose to fly BA rather than Easyjet so it’s going to cost a little bit more, but I don’t mind that cos I prefer BA

Never been on a BA flight but have been on an EasyJet so I don't blame you.
Is anyone moving to London?
Original post by fifi1610
Is anyone moving to London?

Don't know yet :redface:
But yeah that's where the ones I applied to are based :smile:
What ones have you applied for?
Original post by fifi1610
What ones have you applied for?

Software engineering apprenticeships :smile:
Still doing research but one of the ones is with AMEX.
You? :smile:
Tax at EY
If anyone thinks it’s a good idea to make a group chat on fb or something message me!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending