The Student Room Group

GCSEs for working in UK law firms

I am currently in my last year of A-levels and I got an offer to read Jurisprudence at Oxford University. If I will meet the entry requirements of my offer, AAA, I would like to work in a commercial law firm in the City. However, as I was not educated in the English system before Y12, I possess only GCSE English and Maths (5-6 obtained at the beginning of Y12 with no prep offered by the school and limited knowledge of the language). As a result, from the moment that there is not any equivalent of GCSEs in my native country , I fear that my potential applications for training and vacation schemes would be discarded on the basis of the lack of those academic qualifications. Would it be worthwhile do a decent set of GCSEs (7-8 which would not require me too much effort) during my first year of university or this is not necessary?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lancpe2002
I am currently in my last year of A-levels and I got an offer to read Jurisprudence at Oxford University. If I will meet the entry requirements of my offer, AAA, I would like to work in a commercial law firm in the City. However, as I was not educated in the English system before Y12, I possess only GCSE English and Maths (5-6 obtained at the beginning of Y12 with no prep offered by the school and limited knowledge of the language). As a result, from the moment that there is not any equivalent of GCSEs in my native country , I fear that my potential applications for training an action schemes would be discarded on the basis of the lack of those academic qualifications. Would it be worthwhile do a decent set of GCSEs (7-8 which would not require me too much effort) during my first year of university or this is not necessary?

I wouldnt worry. You have the A levels so just get a decent degree plus decent extra currics and you are set. I wouldnt bother with extra GCSEs and focus on getting your A level grades, then extra currics.
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt worry. You have the A levels so just get a decent degree plus decent extra currics and you are set. I wouldnt bother with extra GCSEs and focus on getting your A level grades, then extra currics.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try my best to get my 3A* predicted then.
Although people do put GCSE subjects and grades on their CV it is the A levels (and exam marks by the way alson in each modue in each topic even in year 1 of your degree which some potential lawyers do not realise) which recruiters will look at so get the highest grades you can in those.
Original post by lancpe2002
I am currently in my last year of A-levels and I got an offer to read Jurisprudence at Oxford University. If I will meet the entry requirements of my offer, AAA, I would like to work in a commercial law firm in the City. However, as I was not educated in the English system before Y12, I possess only GCSE English and Maths (5-6 obtained at the beginning of Y12 with no prep offered by the school and limited knowledge of the language). As a result, from the moment that there is not any equivalent of GCSEs in my native country , I fear that my potential applications for training and vacation schemes would be discarded on the basis of the lack of those academic qualifications. Would it be worthwhile do a decent set of GCSEs (7-8 which would not require me too much effort) during my first year of university or this is not necessary?

Employers will understand that you did your early schooling under a different system so did not have the opportunity to take the usual raft of GCSEs. It's really not a good idea to do GCSEs alongside the first year of your degree - just let that worry go and focus on your A levels and then your Law degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending