The Student Room Group

Changing photo on driving licences

Hi,

I have my driving test in around 2 weeks and I don’t want to keep my current photo that’s on my provisional as it’s an old photo of me when I was younger. I have asked my driving instructor if the test examiners can change that for me or if I should have to do it myself, he said I would have to go to a post office to fill out a form and send it off to the DVLA for them process it so they could send the new license (with new photo).

I was just wondering how do I do this and what I will need to send off with the form, I know I will have to send off my driving pass certificate but would I need to send off my passport (it’s one of the new ones so am I able just to put the passport number down and the new photo should show up online for them?)

I’m finding it hard to find anything online about how to change the photos and if I’ll need to send a separate photo of me with the pass certificate and my passport.
Reply 1
Original post by Cariad13
Hi,

I have my driving test in around 2 weeks and I don’t want to keep my current photo that’s on my provisional as it’s an old photo of me when I was younger. I have asked my driving instructor if the test examiners can change that for me or if I should have to do it myself, he said I would have to go to a post office to fill out a form and send it off to the DVLA for them process it so they could send the new license (with new photo).

I was just wondering how do I do this and what I will need to send off with the form, I know I will have to send off my driving pass certificate but would I need to send off my passport (it’s one of the new ones so am I able just to put the passport number down and the new photo should show up online for them?)

I’m finding it hard to find anything online about how to change the photos and if I’ll need to send a separate photo of me with the pass certificate and my passport.

Hello,

I had to do this in October because my provisional licence had a photo from when I was 13 years old which didn’t look anything like me.

To change the photograph on your licence, I did the following:

After passing my test, I handed in my licence as normal to the examiner and he sent it off to be swapped for a full licence which took about a week to come in the post.

Meanwhile, I obtained a D1 form. You can get this from the post office but I just ordered it for free online from the gov.uk website since I was in no rush.

Follow the steps on the form, filling in ALL the sections they required, it’s fairly simple plus instruction are written on it, and attach a passport style photo to the sticky box on the form. There is a box where they say they can just obtain your passport photograph if you give them your passport number, if I recall correctly.

Get a large envelope since you don’t want to fold your photograph and affix the correct postcode for photograph changes. The postcodes are on the back of the form so you don’t need to search for it. Just find the correct one and put it on the envelope.

Send off the completed form and your full licence.

Mine took about 2 1/2 weeks to come back to me with the new photograph, but I was also removing my middle name so it’ll probably take less time for just changing a photo.

The way you describe with sending off your pass certificate is probably more effort than it’s worth since the pass certificate, although proof that you passed, is not equivalent to your licence and it’s not an option on the D1 form so I don’t think it’s possible anyway.

Hope this helped! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks for you reply it is very helpful. On one of the D1 forms I have seen online asks about the licence that I want and the only options are to change the name of where I live and to say if my licence has been stolen or lost, did you leave these questions blank?

When you sent off your package did you only put your D1 form in which had your photo and your full driving license, did you have send off anything other than those.

How much did getting the photo changed cost?

I’ve just had a look at the gov website D1 forms which you have to put your address and name to submit so they will send them to me, at the bottom it says DVLA forms and names a list of them did you tick the box where it says application for a driving licence, or did you tick a different one.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks for you reply it is very helpful. On one of the D1 forms I have seen online asks about the licence that I want and the only options are to change the name of where I live and to say if my licence has been stolen or lost, did you leave these questions blank?

When you sent off your package did you only put your D1 form in which had your photo and your full driving license, did you have send off anything other than those.

How much did getting the photo changed cost?

I’ve just had a look at the gov website D1 forms which you have to put your address and name to submit so they will send them to me, at the bottom it says DVLA forms and names a list of them did you tick the box where it says application for a driving licence, or did you tick a different one.

Thank you :smile:

Hello,

I’ve googled D1 form and they all seem to be outdated versions of it so don’t worry. I only ticked two boxes (changing photograph and changing name) and I got a physical passport size photo and stuck it in the plastic tab on the form (you’ll understand when you see it.)

The costs are on the back of the form too and I believe it was £18. Also if you’re ordering the form online, it is the D1 pack which is the one where it says applications for new driving licences but the actual form has options for changing parts of your existing one so don’t worry.

I’ve also remembered that if you’re literally just using your passport photograph, you can do it online and it’s cheaper too. Not sure by how much but it’s a few pounds less.
Reply 4
Hi,

Amazing thank you!

I will more than likely do a manual D1 form other than the online one as I’ve heard stories of the DVLA sometimes using people’s old passport photos (the one currently on my provisional) compared to my updated version so it might be easier to send a new photo with the form, my test isn’t for another 2 weeks so I’ll keep looking at the gov website and will try ordering the D1 forms.

Do you have to pay for the D1 forms online (you said yours was free) did you have to pay for them to post it to you?
Reply 5
Hi,

Amazing thank you!

I will more than likely do a manual D1 form other than the online one as I’ve heard stories of the DVLA sometimes using people’s old passport photos (the one currently on my provisional) compared to my updated version so it might be easier to send a new photo with the form, my test isn’t for another 2 weeks so I’ll keep looking at the gov website and will try ordering the D1 forms.

Do you have to pay for the D1 forms online (you said yours was free) did you have to pay for them to post it to you?

Nope, the service to request the D1 forms by post to your address is free. :smile:
Reply 6
Great, thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
Hi,

A quick update, I ordered the D1 forms 3 days ago how long did yours take to arrive?

With correlation to the changing the photo from the D1 forms I’ve seen I can only see the box that says renew photo (did they not have a problem with you renewing your photo even though you had another 10 years left on it?)

And because you were using a new photo (one you stuck on the D1 form) did you have to get someone to sign the back of the photo with their signature (to confirm that it’s you).

Also when you paid did you have to put a check or the money in the envelope with everything or are you able to pay at the post office for the photo to be changed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
The D1 forms have just arrived and I can’t seem to find the postcode on the back to change the photo I can only see to change address or name but I’m guessing I’ll have to send it to that same place which has the post code of SA99 1BN?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending