The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology 2020 Intake

Hi All,

I know it's a bit early, but I am starting to gather my thoughts in readiness for the 2020 application process.

I am struggling with the angle to take when writing my personal statement, does anyone have any guidance or advice regarding this?

Additionally, the majority of my work experience is based in an independent school. Will this affect my chances?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauraashley93
Hi All,

I know it's a bit early, but I am starting to gather my thoughts in readiness for the 2020 application process.

I am struggling with the angle to take when writing my personal statement, does anyone have any guidance or advice regarding this?

Additionally, the majority of my work experience is based in an independent school. Will this affect my chances?

Unis want to know about your relevant background, skills and experience. You also need to talk about why you want to do the course, how you have developed your interest in the field both from an academic and practical perspective and how the course fits with your career plans.

I think this is @The Pale Dreamer's area.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lauraashley93
Hi All,

I guess you are talking about the doctorate?

If so, you need to cover 4 basic things:

- Why do you want to be an EP?
- What do you know about the EP role?
- How have you applied psychological theories in your current role(s)?
- What soft skills do you have that are relevant to being an EP?

As for working in an independent school, I wouldn't think that purely for being in an independent school it will matter, but I don't know about that for sure

There are some more posts from other people here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=79944216&highlight=
Original post by The Pale Dreamer

As for working in an independent school, I wouldn't think that purely for being in an independent school it will matter, but I don't know about that for sure

There are some more posts from other people here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=79944216&highlight=

Thank you for the response.

Yes sorry, the doctorate. Oh that is a relief. I will take a look at that the other thread now, thanks.

Most information I find on here is quite dated.
In terms of the personal statement, do they want to see the use of literature? Or just psychologists which may have impacted our roles?
It should be about psychological theories that are used, although the suggestions may have come from other people, but if you can reflect on how you implemented it and why it worked, that should be good
Anyone else out there hoping to apply for the 2020 intake?!
It should be about psychological theories that are used, although the suggestions may have come from other people, but if you can reflect on how you implemented it and why it worked, that should be good

Thank you :smile: I am finding it difficult to keep the word count down! trying to conclude my PS as effectively as possible.
I'm applying! I was just wondering about references. My degree was with the Open University and I know there's a form I can fill in online which asks where they should send it to but the Exeter website says they want them to fill it in online so not sure how it works. Can't wait for the application to open! I'm hoping things will become more clear!
Original post by Mrsnibbles
I'm applying! I was just wondering about references. My degree was with the Open University and I know there's a form I can fill in online which asks where they should send it to but the Exeter website says they want them to fill it in online so not sure how it works. Can't wait for the application to open! I'm hoping things will become more clear!

Yay! I hope it's not too long now, I want to get the ball rolling! This is my first time applying so I am new to the application process.

Hi, I am currently writing my personal statement for the Educational Psychology Doctorate. I have based my personal statement on the four points you have mentioned above however I'm unsure how much to focus on each area. The majority of my personal statement is based on how I have applied psychological theories. I was just wondering if you could offer any advice on how much I should focus on each of the areas?Thanks in advance
Reply 11
has anyone heard back from any universities on the funded programme about interview?
Hi ctay, I am a first time applicant and wondering the same as you...I have not heard anything yet but I am assuming interviews will be Feb/March so there is plenty of time yet.
I have applied and I am still waiting, good luck to you all!
Original post by edpsych100
I have applied and I am still waiting, good luck to you all!

Good luck to you too edpsych100. Keeping fingers and toes firmly crossed for everyone who has applied this year.
Reply 15
Hello! I’ve also applied for the first time and heard back from 2 london Unis, one interview and one no. Good luck to everyone waiting! Hopefully we can share some interview prep tips over the next few weeks!
Original post by Trix7b
Hello! I’ve also applied for the first time and heard back from 2 london Unis, one interview and one no. Good luck to everyone waiting! Hopefully we can share some interview prep tips over the next few weeks!

Congrats Trix7b! Keep us posted.

I have heard from UCL today and have been unsuccessful. Two more uni’s to hear from.

Good luck all x
Reply 17
Thank you :smile: I was unsuccessful at UCL shortlisting too! Fingers crossed for your other two!! X
Well done, Trix! Which uni were you successful at? I am also unsuccessful at UCL, fingers crossed for the other two!
Original post by edpsych100
Well done, Trix! Which uni were you successful at? I am also unsuccessful at UCL, fingers crossed for the other two!

Where have you all applied for, if you don’t mind sharing? I’ve applied for UCL, IoE and The Tavistock and Portman. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending