The Student Room Group

Is this favouritism?

Hi all,

Quick question. Is it favouritism to have a lecturer tell you your poster font size is too small when you used the size they suggested and when another student used the same font and did not get called out for it?

The poster was not marked anonymously and I submitted my poster as a power point file, so checking the font size is easy.

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

Quick question. Is it favouritism to have a lecturer tell you your poster font size is too small when you used the size they suggested and when another student used the same font and did not get called out for it?

The poster was not marked anonymously and I submitted my poster as a power point file, so checking the font size is easy.

Thanks!

Did they say to use a certain font as well? Sometimes different fonts can look like different sizes. Unless there is something seriously at fault and you have a lot of evidence to support a claim of favouritism I would probably let it go, the font size is unlikely to effect you mark much. If you are worried you could ask to meet with the marker so they can explain their comments.
Reply 2
Seems like a fuss about nowt to me
Reply 3
Did they say to use a certain font as well? Sometimes different fonts can look like different sizes. Unless there is something seriously at fault and you have a lot of evidence to support a claim of favouritism I would probably let it go, the font size is unlikely to effect you mark much. If you are worried you could ask to meet with the marker so they can explain their comments.

They did not specify what font type, just size. I did bring it up with the marker, but even though they admitted the mistake, they did not think my grade should be changed.
Reply 4
They did not specify what font type, just size. I did bring it up with the marker, but even though they admitted the mistake, they did not think my grade should be changed.

Which probably means that while it was an observation, it didn't affect your grade in the first place
Maybe you’re the favourite student so he was paying extra interest in your work and noticed it.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
Which probably means that while it was an observation, it didn't affect your grade in the first place

Maybe. But I find it hard to believe that font size is not important for a poster.
Reply 7
Original post by DaniyalShah
Maybe you’re the favourite student so he was paying extra interest in your work and noticed it.

If that were the case, why didn't they even check the font size in the powerpoint file I submitted? It's a simple matter of selecting a bit of text and looking at the font size.
Reply 8
Maybe. But I find it hard to believe that font size is not important for a poster.

Depends on the rubric

I frequently raise things when I am marking for which I have nevertheless not deducted marks
Reply 9
Original post by DaniyalShah
Okay then go be a miserable pessimistic c*nt then wow

I don't think that was a reasonable response to someone disagreeing with you. Are you ok?
I don't think that was a reasonable response to someone disagreeing with you. Are you ok?

I’m not ok. I’m Daniyal.
Original post by gjd800
Depends on the rubric

I frequently raise things when I am marking for which I have nevertheless not deducted marks

Personally, do you think it is reasonable to subtract marks when assessing the presentation of a poster if you believe the font size is too small?
Reply 12
Personally, do you think it is reasonable to subtract marks when assessing the presentation of a poster if you believe the font size is too small?

Not unless it was obnoxiously small, no
Original post by gjd800
Not unless it was obnoxiously small, no

But don't you give them a minimum font size requirement?
Reply 14
But don't you give them a minimum font size requirement?

Never done it, so no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending