The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Accomodation advice

I am looking to start at the Uni of Manchester in Sept 2020.

I originally was thinking of Victoria Park as it sounded like a good balance and is also near the Whitworth where I'm looking to volunteer/ will have some classes, but now I'm wondering if Fallowfield would suit me better as apparently it houses more chill and creative people

I definitely want to be self catered. I also was set on an en suite but is it really worthwhile?

I want to live somewhere sociable, but also need to get some work done. I know a few places have a library on site which would be good, and also a gym so I don't have to pay for a separate gym membership?

I was looking at Burkhardt (but I've read some reviews saying it's really dead?), Sheavyn and not sure about a third. Maybe Richmond Park?

Basically, advice needed please!!!

Scroll to see replies

I’ve made a Snapchat group for applicants so you might be able to get some advice there as the majority have already applied for accommodation.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by imimimi

I originally was thinking of Victoria Park as it sounded like a good balance and is also near the Whitworth where I'm looking to volunteer/ will have some classes, but now I'm wondering if Fallowfield would suit me better as apparently it houses more chill and creative people

I definitely want to be self catered. I also was set on an en suite but is it really worthwhile?

I want to live somewhere sociable, but also need to get some work done. I know a few places have a library on site which would be good, and also a gym so I don't have to pay for a separate gym membership?

I was looking at Burkhardt (but I've read some reviews saying it's really dead?), Sheavyn and not sure about a third. Maybe Richmond Park?

I would DEFINITELY say ensuite isn’t worth it. You’ve gotta clean it yourself, buy your own toilet paper and honestly (having stayed there) the shared bathrooms didn’t bother me at all and ya girl is autistic! I was in there barefoot in a shirt and panties SEVERAL times (I was drunk both nights so I was peeing a lot don’t judge 😂) and only saw another person twice who practically didn’t even realise I existed. The price difference is way too big to justify
And yes, join the groupchat 😂❤️
Reply 4
Original post by chloebird
I would DEFINITELY say ensuite isn’t worth it. You’ve gotta clean it yourself, buy your own toilet paper and honestly (having stayed there) the shared bathrooms didn’t bother me at all and ya girl is autistic! I was in there barefoot in a shirt and panties SEVERAL times (I was drunk both nights so I was peeing a lot don’t judge 😂) and only saw another person twice who practically didn’t even realise I existed. The price difference is way too big to justify

Hahahah ok thank you sm!!! You're probably completely right but the thought just freaks me out a little bit. And I will join the gc <3
Reply 5
Original post by MoonlightTiger16
I’ve made a Snapchat group for applicants so you might be able to get some advice there as the majority have already applied for accommodation.

Oh sounds good! My snap is imirose.x if you could add me that would be amaze
Could u add me aswell- snapchat - realbeautyxo
Reply 7
Original post by imimimi

I am in the exact same situation-dont know what to do. I want to stay somewhere social (With other first years) but also close to the uni.
Reply 8

I thought accommodation application opened in March ?
Original post by arj777
I thought accommodation application opened in March ?

No it already opened around November, so some people have already applied.
Reply 10
No it already opened around November, so some people have already applied.

Oh ok thanks
I haven’t accepted my offer yet
Honestly in my personal experience the social reputations of different places isn't always accurate I really just think it depends on your flatmates. I've ended up in Whitworth Park which is meant to be dead but made friends with half my flat and we always go out, the bar here is dead when there's no events on but when there is stuff on, and freshers in particular, it's really sociable and if you put yourself out there people will want to get to know you and swap contacts! I'm sure in fallow there is a lot more happening but I know people who have unsociable fallowfield flatmates so there's no rules to it. I think whatever happens you'll be able to make the most of it and meet people through societies and your course as well!Sorry, probs not that helpful but basics don't stress it too much cause what will happen will happen so maybe choose more on your budget and what rooms look nice? Also about volunteering at the whitworth, basically everyone in fallow gets a bus pass so you could still get there super quick.Good luck x
I have an offer from Manchester, I've not made my choices yet but there's 99% chance that Manchester will be my firm choice and I'm thinking of applying for accommodation in Withworth Park as I want to be close to the uni and it looks nice in pictures but my only worry is that I've read some reviews saying they had rats, mice and silverfish in the halls, mainly in the kitchen which doesn't sound nice, I don't mind silverfish but I hate mice and rats. Considering you said you're in Whitworth Park do you know if this issue has been solved? Did you have rodents in your flat or know other people who have? Thanks xx
Original post by moonswooning
Honestly in my personal experience the social reputations of different places isn't always accurate I really just think it depends on your flatmates. I've ended up in Whitworth Park which is meant to be dead but made friends with half my flat and we always go out, the bar here is dead when there's no events on but when there is stuff on, and freshers in particular, it's really sociable and if you put yourself out there people will want to get to know you and swap contacts! I'm sure in fallow there is a lot more happening but I know people who have unsociable fallowfield flatmates so there's no rules to it. I think whatever happens you'll be able to make the most of it and meet people through societies and your course as well!Sorry, probs not that helpful but basics don't stress it too much cause what will happen will happen so maybe choose more on your budget and what rooms look nice? Also about volunteering at the whitworth, basically everyone in fallow gets a bus pass so you could still get there super quick.Good luck x

I have an offer from Manchester, I've not made my choices yet but there's 99% chance that Manchester will be my firm choice and I'm thinking of applying for accommodation in Withworth Park as I want to be close to the uni and it looks nice in pictures but my only worry is that I've read some reviews saying they had rats, mice and silverfish in the halls, mainly in the kitchen which doesn't sound nice, I don't mind silverfish but I hate mice and rats. Considering you said you're in Whitworth Park do you know if this issue has been solved? Did you have rodents in your flat or know other people who have? Thanks xx
Original post by imimimi

As someone who is in Victoria Park right now...
Victoria Park is in a great location near shops, Whitworth and the uni. If you get a bike (and it is v easy to cycle round here) then it's great. The rooms are pretty good too though some are a bit old.
BUT it is very dead. Sure some people go out but on the whole it is a quiet place especially for a university. You can have good flat mates but it's a lottery.
Fallowfield on the other hand is the opposite. A bus ride away from uni, shops aren't that close, most of the rooms are dreadful.
BUT if you have come to uni for the good times, the drugs and the parties then Fallowfield is where to go. It's good fun and where most people live. There's something going on everyday.
So depends on the type of person you are really. I'm not a party 24/7 type so I don't mind VP, and the location is great. And it's about 10 minute cycle ride from Fallow so if you want to go over there (as I do quite a lot) it's simple enough.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by imimimi

My boyfriend is in accommodation in Fallowfield so I’m there all the time! I’m Also applying for UOM. There’s always something going on but I’ve found it’s v hit or miss because my boyfriends flat is 9/10 times dead but other flats are extremely lively - he’s in Richmond park
@MoonlightTiger16 Hey! I’m also looking at accomadation for september. Havent been to open days so looking for peoples opinions. Would it be possible to be added to the group chat? My sc is - cerysann2002
Reply 17

Hey
If u could add me that would be gr8
My sc is arjun0704
I applied to accommodation in 2018, with applications to Denmark Road, Richmond and Sheavan. I got given whitworth. Such a bummer. Honestly, my advice is to, when they ask for preferences, dont say catered/non-catered, say either LOCATION or EN-SUITE. If you want to be in Fallow, or whatever, they will give you that if thats what youve put. I stupidly put catered/non-catered, but i wish i had put location.

Please don't worry about fallow being far away. There are student bus passes that everyone buys for £250, which is a 15 min bus ride from Fallow to campus. The buses are so regular, you get used to it.
Original post by Slytherin11

We have mice trap things in the kitchens but I have never seen/heard any or seen droppings neither has anyone I know/overheard in convo/seen on facebook so that should be a safe bet but i guess possible?

I have seen silverfish a couple times as have people I know but I haven't seen any in the kitchen just my room and bathroom and tbh it was only in the first month, possibly into second I think maybe they like it when it's unoccupied in the summer and then they get scared away? I would definitely not let it put you off whitworth!

The location is great, it's like practically on main campus but gotta say it looks nicer in the pictures, the place is quite old and slightly prisony lol but once you settle in it becomes more homely and you get used to it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending