The Student Room Group

do british people really not bathe everyday?/twice a day?

i was talking to some people and idk the topic of bathing came up lol, so i said ''yeah twice a day right? or at least once a day'' and this person said to me "nah i only do it twice a week."

Well that is the most disgusting thing i've ever heard so I had to ask again to make sure that is what I heard and the person said "yeah no one in my fam bathes that much. In fact no one in the UK bathes that much"

Now this has been bugging me lol, that people are actually walking around talking to people and havent washed in the morning, well, according to my friend. So just need confirmation I guess to prove to the person no one else does this but him!

Scroll to see replies

I think most people bathe on a regular bases,
I certainly could not go a day without showering at least once.
Still I guess everybody is different.
Reply 2
Who the fudge has a bath twice a day.

That must take up a fair amount of time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by adam271
Who the fudge baths twice a day.

yeah after a particularly active day when you're doing more walking around than usual or something like that you take another quick shower or a soak.....
Original post by adam271
Who the fudge has a bath twice a day.

Baths yes, but you can shower in 5, mins.
Depends what time a person is from, their norm etc - growing up, most people didn't have showers, so it was more practical to bathe twice a week and scrub up a bit in between, but now we have showers people seem to wash more frequently because of the ease of it. It really isn't that big a deal, but I guess kids these days won't appreciate things change with time
I think it depends on if they have baths or showers in their home. Baths take time to fill, which is off putting to people. Showers are quick and it takes about 5-10 minutes to wash yourself. Personally I prefer showers since it’s quicker and imo more hygienic than sitting in water which by the end of the bath is dirty
It's bad for your skin to bathe too often. It's not even necessary to do it once a day unless you are sweating a lot
Reply 8
Original post by Karisa96
Baths yes, but you can shower in 5, mins.

But the op specified bath.
I bathe every day apart from when there's no hot water then I'll do it every 2 days. There aren't showers in my house, but I don't like showers anyway.

I don't think it's necessary to bathe twice a day though... that's a bit excessive and probably damaging to your skin.
Yes, I have a bath every morning. The weird thing to my mind is - when I hear that some people only bathe before going to bed in the evenings (then sweat all night long, as everyone does...) - and then don't wash in the mornings? :confused:

A
Original post by Mr Aitch
Yes, I have a bath every morning. The weird thing to my mind is - when I hear that some people only bathe before going to bed in the evenings (then sweat all night long, as everyone does...) - and then don't wash in the mornings? :confused:

A

But then you're going to bed with all the filth from the day... plus in the morning it's too stressful to have a relaxing bath
Original post by Anonymous
i was talking to some people and idk the topic of bathing came up lol, so i said ''yeah twice a day right? or at least once a day'' and this person said to me "nah i only do it twice a week."

Well that is the most disgusting thing i've ever heard so I had to ask again to make sure that is what I heard and the person said "yeah no one in my fam bathes that much. In fact no one in the UK bathes that much"

Now this has been bugging me lol, that people are actually walking around talking to people and havent washed in the morning, well, according to my friend. So just need confirmation I guess to prove to the person no one else does this but him!

Everybody I know, including me, has a shower at least once a day... but a bath??? Who has time for that? As for the UK, how do they know? It's a bit of a sweeping statement
Original post by Anonymous
I bathe every day apart from when there's no hot water then I'll do it every 2 days. There aren't showers in my house, but I don't like showers anyway.

I don't think it's necessary to bathe twice a day though... that's a bit excessive and probably damaging to your skin.

Having a bath every day is very time consuming and wastes a lot of water.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Everybody I know, including me, has a shower at least once a day... but a bath??? Who has time for that? As for the UK, how do they know? It's a bit of a sweeping statement

There are still people out there who don't have showers.

Over-showering or bathing is bad for one's health generally - with hot or very hot water, it's not natural for the human body. We are designed for quick dunks in rivers and the like.
Original post by adam271
But the op specified bath.

Original post by Oxford Mum

Original post by aciana
Having a bath every day is very time consuming and wastes a lot of water.

Sorry when I say Bathe I mean shower not sitting in warm water and scrubbing lol. My family calls it Bathe but we all mean shower so that's why I call it that but I mean a quick 5/10 min shower
Reply 16
I have two showers a day one in the morning before college and one in the evening right after gym (around 10pm) showers are normally quick about 10 mins so it barely wastes any time
Everday for most people
Why are you generalising all British people based on one person you spoke to?

I wash 1-2 times a day depending on whether or not I left the house. Usually before and after work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Most likely it's just a language issue. "Bathe" means "have a bath in a bathtub" here. If someone says they don't bathe every day, that doesn't mean they don't shower or wash, it means that they don't get into a full bath of water. Many people almost never bathe - it's really quite common for homes to have a shower but not a bath these days, and you almost never see a bath in student accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending