The Student Room Group

IB-ers applying to Oxbridge??

Hi! I'm an international student wishing to apply to read Medicine in Oxford. Can I get some advice on how to apply?
(Grades, EE topic, hours of work experience, cocurriculars, etc...)
I have taken the IGCSE and is sitting for the M2021 IB exams if it helps.
Reply 1
Medicine in any uni is really competitive in the UK and getting into Oxford is by far the hardest among them all (applicant to offer ratio is half that of Cambridge's.) If you are international, the competition will be even harsher. You will need to have exceptional GCSEs and a decent BMAT score (depening on how good your GCSE/equivalent is) just to get a chance for interview. Saying that, you don't need A LOT of work experience and an exceptional personal statement to secure an interview as they look more heavily on the academic aspect compared to other unis. (Cambridge is similar.)
Using the 2020 cycle for 2021 entry for example, there were 346 international applicants and only 32 were interviewed and at the end only 5 got an offer ( +1 for a deferred entry in 2022.) Personally I would recommend others to apply for Cambridge if they really want to study in Oxbridge for medicine as it seems that they are more lenient to international applicants. Also keep in mind that whichever uni you end up doing medicine in UK, they all teach the same curriculum and no one will doubt your ability just because you are not an Oxbridge student, so please don't feel inferior for not applying to Oxbridge. Saying that, if you really want to read medicine in Oxford after careful consideration for whatever reason (great city, prestige, course structure, tutorial system etc) and if those stats didn't put you off, then go for it and leave no regret!! I'm sure you are a very academically able student!

P.S I am one of those international student that got rejected by Oxford medicine post interview, so I might sound a bit biased haha. Slightly regretting this decision after knowing the statistics so I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake!
(edited 4 years ago)
Geez, I am a bit put off too :frown: but come what may I will still shoot my shot at it though. May I ask what were your grades and which unis did you also applied to?
Reply 3
Original post by feignintellect
Geez, I am a bit put off too :frown: but come what may I will still shoot my shot at it though. May I ask what were your grades and which unis did you also applied to?

GCSE: 11A* BMAT: 6.8,5.3, 2.5A Also applied to KCL, Birmingham, and UCL
Hey!
I'm also planning to apply to Oxbridge (I'm M21 as well).
I have been dreaming of Oxford for a few years now but only recently I've found out that it's actually easier (still hard though) to get into Cambridge than Oxford, so right now I'm more leaning towards Cambridge. But I for sure will apply to Oxbridge, just to try at least.
I'm also an international applicant (from Poland). As for my IB, I have:
HL: Biology, Chemistry and English B
SL: Maths AA, Polish A, Geography
I'm doing my EE in Biology and its topic is connected with bacteria as it seems to me as one of the most interesting medicine-related ideas. I thought, we could exchange our ideas for work experience etc. and have some discussion about it if you want to? :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by VanillaCream
Hey!
I'm also planning to apply to Oxbridge (I'm M21 as well).
I have been dreaming of Oxford for a few years now but only recently I've found out that it's actually easier (still hard though) to get into Cambridge than Oxford, so right now I'm more leaning towards Cambridge. But I for sure will apply to Oxbridge, just to try at least.
I'm also an international applicant (from Poland). As for my IB, I have:
HL: Biology, Chemistry and English B
SL: Maths AA, Polish A, Geography
I'm doing my EE in Biology and its topic is connected with bacteria as it seems to me as one of the most interesting medicine-related ideas. I thought, we could exchange our ideas for work experience etc. and have some discussion about it if you want to? :wink:

Hey can I pm you? im also from poland and im considering to apply for Cambridge
Original post by Sem/1
Hey can I pm you? im also from poland and im considering to apply for Cambridge

Yes of course! Waiting for your message :smile:
Reply 7
Yes of course! Waiting for your message :smile:

Please can you pm me because im new here and idk where to click
Original post by Sem/1
Please can you pm me because im new here and idk where to click

Alright, I've just sent it
Brilliant! I've sent you a message!
Original post by ASOC01
Medicine in any uni is really competitive in the UK and getting into Oxford is by far the hardest among them all (applicant to offer ratio is half that of Cambridge's.) If you are international, the competition will be even harsher. You will need to have exceptional GCSEs and a decent BMAT score (depening on how good your GCSE/equivalent is) just to get a chance for interview. Saying that, you don't need A LOT of work experience and an exceptional personal statement to secure an interview as they look more heavily on the academic aspect compared to other unis. (Cambridge is similar.)
Using the 2020 cycle for 2021 entry for example, there were 346 international applicants and only 32 were interviewed and at the end only 5 got an offer ( +1 for a deferred entry in 2022.) Personally I would recommend others to apply for Cambridge if they really want to study in Oxbridge for medicine as it seems that they are more lenient to international applicants. Also keep in mind that whichever uni you end up doing medicine in UK, they all teach the same curriculum and no one will doubt your ability just because you are not an Oxbridge student, so please don't feel inferior for not applying to Oxbridge. Saying that, if you really want to read medicine in Oxford after careful consideration for whatever reason (great city, prestige, course structure, tutorial system etc) and if those stats didn't put you off, then go for it and leave no regret!! I'm sure you are a very academically able student!

P.S I am one of those international student that got rejected by Oxford medicine post interview, so I might sound a bit biased haha. Slightly regretting this decision after knowing the statistics so I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake!

Hi! I'm wondering, does it refer also to the EU applicants? At the Oxford website, everywhere it says "applicants who are classified as international" and EU applicants are not classified as international in terms of fees etc. I mean there is always "home", "EU" and then "international" everywhere regarding the fees and admissions to the UK unis.
Because of that, I was pretty sure that EU is not regarded as international, but then someone here mentioned that it was and now I'm lost hahah.
Btw, what unis did you get offers from?
Reply 11
Hi! I'm wondering, does it refer also to the EU applicants? At the Oxford website, everywhere it says "applicants who are classified as international" and EU applicants are not classified as international in terms of fees etc. I mean there is always "home", "EU" and then "international" everywhere regarding the fees and admissions to the UK unis.
Because of that, I was pretty sure that EU is not regarded as international, but then someone here mentioned that it was and now I'm lost hahah.
Btw, what unis did you get offers from?

the fee status for EU is a bit unclear right now due to Brexit. But it's technically not implemented yet so EU still might not be classified as international. I'm really not sure about this one and I suggest you to go ask the uni specifically about this if it's not clear on their website. I got offers from KCL and Birmingham for their respective medicine course starting in September 2020. :smile:
Original post by ASOC01
the fee status for EU is a bit unclear right now due to Brexit. But it's technically not implemented yet so EU still might not be classified as international. I'm really not sure about this one and I suggest you to go ask the uni specifically about this if it's not clear on their website. I got offers from KCL and Birmingham for their respective medicine course starting in September 2020. :smile:

Still a shame that us real internationals have to pay a cutthroat fee similar to that of US universities. Britain really needs to work on its widening access schemes for students!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending