The Student Room Group

National 5 Geography 2019-20

Hey,I did National 5 last year so I’m happy to help with any questions anyone has!
Is there any help u could give me so that I’m able let to answer the first question in the prelim/exam which is about glaciers/coasts and idk how to revise for it?? should i memorise how a u shaped valley is formed? idk what its gonna ask me to describe tho, how did u revise for it??
Reply 2
Original post by Oofffffff
Is there any help u could give me so that I’m able let to answer the first question in the prelim/exam which is about glaciers/coasts and idk how to revise for it?? should i memorise how a u shaped valley is formed? idk what its gonna ask me to describe tho, how did u revise for it??

I learn all the formations - I make Model Answers then keep writing them out xx
Hey has anyone done the prelim yet? Could u pls give tips on what topics to revise?! Thanks
Hey has anyone done the prelim yet? Could u pls give tips on what topics to revise?! Thanks

:wavey: Have merged this into the existing Nat 5 geography thread for this year :smile:

General advice would be to:
- know your formations
- know which questions you are going to answer on (as there will be choices of topics to answer on- though you'll almost definitely have only been taught the minimum number needed, which is fine)
- make sure you can read a map- it will come up! (if not in the prelim, in the final exam)
- and mostly- know your case studies!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
My Nat 5 Geography prelim is January 31st. We studied Health, Environmental Hazards, Glaciers and Coasts, Urban and Rural Landscapes and Weather. Teacher barely went over population but said it will be in the test. Any advice? I thought about getting a textbook and learning it myself, but I’m not sure which one is the best. I have the ‘How to Pass,’ which are not great in my opinion. I though either Brightred or Leckie&Leckie. Or maybe there are better ways to revise, through past papers for example. Do you have any other revision techniques?
Original post by cahctus
My Nat 5 Geography prelim is January 31st. We studied Health, Environmental Hazards, Glaciers and Coasts, Urban and Rural Landscapes and Weather. Teacher barely went over population but said it will be in the test. Any advice? I thought about getting a textbook and learning it myself, but I’m not sure which one is the best. I have the ‘How to Pass,’ which are not great in my opinion. I though either Brightred or Leckie&Leckie. Or maybe there are better ways to revise, through past papers for example. Do you have any other revision techniques?

I found that the How to Pass was good for geography (can't comment on the 2nd edition versions for the updated courses though!) but that the bright red/leckie ones went into loads more depth than needed, so wouldn't necessarily say you need to go out to buy another textbook. But that's a personal opinion rather than the consensus, so others will almost definitely disagree!

Past papers are a good choice, and for geography I think that the marking schemes are particularly valuable- they'll tell you pretty much exactly what you need to write for each mark. SQA Understanding Standards (https://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects/Geography/national5) is particularly good in that sense, as it has real candidate papers which you can see good (and less good) responses to questions.

Some of the course really is just a case of memorisation (by whatever method best suites you) like for your formations...I found that flashcards and mindmaps worked well for me for geography, but again, it is quite a subjective thing, as what works well for one person won't be as effective for another.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
What are all the formations that I need to learn for glaciation topic ?
What are all the formations that I need to learn for glaciation topic ?

Corrie, truncated spur, pyramidal peak, arête, u-shaped valley
Original post by Labrador99
:wavey: Have merged this into the existing Nat 5 geography thread for this year :smile:

General advice would be to:
- know your formations
- know which questions you are going to answer on (as there will be choices of topics to answer on- though you'll almost definitely have only been taught the minimum number needed, which is fine)
- make sure you can read a map- it will come up! (if not in the prelim, in the final exam)
- and mostly- know your case studies!!!

What are the case studies ?? Could u give an example
Original post by Catriona23
I learn all the formations - I make Model Answers then keep writing them out xx

How many formations did u have to learn? As I don’t know if glaciation or coasts will come up on the 2020 exam so would u recommend to memorise all formations for both? That will be a lot of work tho
What are the case studies ?? Could u give an example

Different schools will do different ones...Examples could be the Dorset coast for coasts, or Mt St Helens' volcanic eruption.
Original post by Labrador99
Different schools will do different ones...Examples could be the Dorset coast for coasts, or Mt St Helens' volcanic eruption.

Ooooh okay I get what u mean now! Thanks:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending