The Student Room Group

Pupillage BC1 questions

Is someone can enough to provide me with feedback on my answer for the BC1? I not very skilled in providing a decent answer to these questions so i Just want some feeback on my answer and a possible guide or example I can work from?

1. BC1: Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career (200words)
Having the opportunity to organise a campaign to raise awareness about bowel cancer, I developed a special communication skill where I am able to relate to others and express myself in way that significantly reaches and impacts individuals. As leader of this campaign, one of the approaches I decided to take in order to ensure the success of the project was to attend an event run by Cancer Research UK and network with different people. I had the opportunity of speaking with different individuals, listen to their stories and their entire journey with cancer. This way, I was able to understand them more and communication become easier. I have also developed the ability to think quick on my feet during undergraduate degree. I was an active member of the universities debate club and I took part in several competition across the nation. There were several times where I faced with an argument that I was not prepared for but required a response during that live moment. The way I responded to this pressure was to remain calm and listen to the argument again. I would then repeat it to myself which would give me enough time to come up with a counter.

Thank you all in advance
By far the biggest issue with this answer is the number of spelling and grammatical errors. I genuinely don't know whether the issue is that you just haven't proof read this at all, or whether your standard of English just isn't good enough (possibly because it is not your first language), but the standard of English alone is a serious issue here. I don't want to be harsh in saying that, but there would be no point at all in me pretending that that is anywhere near the standard that you need to reach in a written answer on a pupillage application, because it isn't.

I could give more feedback but I don't really want to just pile on. And more to the point, this issue of spelling and grammatical errors very seriously needs to be fixed. To be a barrister you need to have the very highest standards of English. If you can't write a 200 word answer for an application that is even error free, let alone let alone persuasive and to a high linguistic standard, you stand next to no chance of securing an interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Crazy Jamie
By far the biggest issue with this answer is the number of spelling and grammatical errors. I genuinely don't know whether the issue is that you just haven't proof read this at all, or whether your standard of English just isn't good enough (possibly because it is not your first language), but the standard of English alone is a serious issue here. I don't want to be harsh in saying that, but there would be no point at all in me pretending that that is anywhere near the standard that you need to reach in a written answer on a pupillage application, because it isn't.

I could give more feedback but I don't really want to just pile on. And more to the point, this issue of spelling and grammatical errors very seriously needs to be fixed. To be a barrister you need to have the very highest standards of English. If you can't write a 200 word answer for an application that is even error free, let alone let alone persuasive and to a high linguistic standard, you stand next to no chance of securing an interview.

Be as harsh as you can please, I truly appreciate it. English is my second language indeed and it is something I am working on. I am planning to have someone proof read my final draft. I just need to know if the points i am making are good enough and if I am answering the question.

Thank you
Original post by arm5nda
Be as harsh as you can please, I truly appreciate it. English is my second language indeed and it is something I am working on. I am planning to have someone proof read my final draft. I just need to know if the points i am making are good enough and if I am answering the question.

Thank you

I know you have PMed me but I'm going to respond on here. The point about the campaign is fine in theory, but you don't relate the skills you say you've learned to skills that would be useful as a barrister. It needs more. The debating point is unremarkable at best in that many applicants could use debating, but once again you don't relate what you say about debating to being a barrister.

But the general grammar and quality of English point is really important here. A good applicant could turn those two examples into at least a half decent answer by being clear about the skills they learned and relating them to practising a barrister. The problem is not only that you don't seem to know how to do that, but that your standard of English is not good enough. Getting someone to proof read your answer is not going to help, because even with no grammatical errors this doesn't read like natural English. I read this answer and immediately highlighted that English may not be your first language. That is a real issue, because not only does your answer need to be good enough so that I cannot tell that, but I need to think that your English language ability is exceptional. Being blunt, it very clearly isn't, and honestly unless your general standard of written English is much better than this, I don't see how you can realistically get your English language ability up to the level that you need to to even stand a fighting chance of securing an interview. I know it's a small sample size, but unless this answer is not representative of your general ability level, I would seriously be considering alternative career paths, because right now your chances of securing a pupillage interview are negligible at best.
Reply 4
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I know you have PMed me but I'm going to respond on here. The point about the campaign is fine in theory, but you don't relate the skills you say you've learned to skills that would be useful as a barrister. It needs more. The debating point is unremarkable at best in that many applicants could use debating, but once again you don't relate what you say about debating to being a barrister.

But the general grammar and quality of English point is really important here. A good applicant could turn those two examples into at least a half decent answer by being clear about the skills they learned and relating them to practising a barrister. The problem is not only that you don't seem to know how to do that, but that your standard of English is not good enough. Getting someone to proof read your answer is not going to help, because even with no grammatical errors this doesn't read like natural English. I read this answer and immediately highlighted that English may not be your first language. That is a real issue, because not only does your answer need to be good enough so that I cannot tell that, but I need to think that your English language ability is exceptional. Being blunt, it very clearly isn't, and honestly unless your general standard of written English is much better than this, I don't see how you can realistically get your English language ability up to the level that you need to to even stand a fighting chance of securing an interview. I know it's a small sample size, but unless this answer is not representative of your general ability level, I would seriously be considering alternative career paths, because right now your chances of securing a pupillage interview are negligible at best.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
Reply 5
I must say posting the question (with your accompanying "answer") like this is such poor taste.

It's one thing to ask for advice; and another to expect people to 'correct' you answer.
Reply 6
Original post by Pythian
I must say posting the question (with your accompanying "answer") like this is such poor taste.

It's one thing to ask for advice; and another to expect people to 'correct' you answer.

asking for "feedback" is not the same as asking for "correction". What is poor taste is making people feel back for seeking help.
Original post by Pythian

I see this point, but this is not exactly the same as posting an essay question or similar. That question is a standard pupillage portal question, and anyone applying for pupillage will be familiar with it, so posting it is really neither here nor there. The other point to make is that there isn't a right answer to this question (or, indeed, any of the questions). Even my view will not necessarily be shared by other barristers, so it's not akin to asking for the right answer to an essay question.

That said, I do agree that simply posting your entire answer and asking for feedback isn't really what the process is about. Asking for views on your own extra curricular activities and what may stand out on a pupillage application is on the right side of the line, but asking for feedback on the entire answer is arguably on the wrong side. It wouldn't be sustainable, for example, for a lot of people to do this and for me (and others) to provide feedback on entire answers, or applications. Part of the regulation of that will come from those responding to the thread, though. In truth I responded in this thread the way that I did because the points have wider application to others who are considering the Bar as a career option but who might not have the required standard of English. I deliberately didn't go into the answer forensically because I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do so. So yeah, I don't think this is the same as posting an essay question and wanting answers, but there are some similarities and it's probably not something that people can broadly expect detailed feedback on. As and when people need help with pupillage applications, more nuanced questions are probably the way to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending