The Student Room Group

Holiday vs Saving Money

My gf has invited me on holiday with her and her family later this year. It is £2000 in total and I can afford that as I currently have £20K saved up towards my first house but obviously if I decide to go it’ll take me down to £18K but I’ve still got 8 months to save before I have to actually pay for it.

I really want to go to see a part of the world I’ve never been to but then on the other hand I still need to save for my first home. What should I do? I keep thinking I should travel and see the world before having ties like a mortgage a children.
Reply 1
Original post by MikePL
My gf has invited me on holiday with her and her family later this year. It is £2000 in total and I can afford that as I currently have £20K saved up towards my first house but obviously if I decide to go it’ll take me down to £18K but I’ve still got 8 months to save before I have to actually pay for it.

I really want to go to see a part of the world I’ve never been to but then on the other hand I still need to save for my first home. What should I do? I keep thinking I should travel and see the world before having ties like a mortgage a children.

Depends a bit on how old you are, how much you save in a month, how long the holiday is for (£2k is a lot for a week) and where in the world it is? How much do you need to save for a deposit before buying?
Indeed go.
You will have plenty of time to save up for your house deposit.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Depends a bit on how old you are, how much you save in a month, how long the holiday is for (£2k is a lot for a week) and where in the world it is? How much do you need to save for a deposit before buying?

I’m 25, I save about £500 a month from my pay packet, the holiday is a 2 week cruise in the Med and I need around £16k - £18k for a deposit.
Reply 4
Original post by MikePL
I’m 25, I save about £500 a month from my pay packet, the holiday is a 2 week cruise in the Med and I need around £16k - £18k for a deposit.

Cool! You are plenty young enough not to have a mad rush, can save for the holiday and its not over expensive for what it is. I'd go for it. At worst you are delaying buying by four months which is nothing in the scheme of things.
whichever one you want more is what you should stick to

if you are most passionate about seeing the world then go on the holiday
but if you are more passionate about getting your house then save the money

in this scenario you can literally do either of the latter options at a later time

if you go on holiday you can always save later for the house but if you go for the house you can always travel later

so at this moment in time what does your gut tell you? do you feel like taking a trip with your girlfriend and her family? if yes then go.
Reply 6
Original post by goggleyed
whichever one you want more is what you should stick to

if you are most passionate about seeing the world then go on the holiday
but if you are more passionate about getting your house then save the money

in this scenario you can literally do either of the latter options at a later time

if you go on holiday you can always save later for the house but if you go for the house you can always travel later

so at this moment in time what does your gut tell you? do you feel like taking a trip with your girlfriend and her family? if yes then go.

I've decided to go. It's a trip to a part of the world I've never been to and everyone was telling me to go now whilst I'm young and don't have any ties such as a house or kids. I'm really looking forward to it now.

Quick Reply

Latest