The Student Room Group

What can i do at uni with my a levels

Hi , so im currently in yr 12 and i do bio chem and maths... i really want to start getting an idea of what i want to do at uni because i have no clue. Please let me know of degrees and what jobs they lead to that i can do
Reply 1
Original post by Deenipops
Hi , so im currently in yr 12 and i do bio chem and maths... i really want to start getting an idea of what i want to do at uni because i have no clue. Please let me know of degrees and what jobs they lead to that i can do

Hey!
So I'm a year 13 and I take the same subjects.
the unis I've been to have basically said that because they're 3 core subjects you have good scope to go into most things, and that on top of that the degrees are over quite a wide scope so I wouldn't worry too much!
Reply 2

What interests you? What grades are you getting? What do you enjoy?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
What interests you? What grades are you getting? What do you enjoy?

Right now, my favourite a level is maths, i would like to carry on maths in some form, but i understand that maths at uni usually requires further maths... across the subjects, the grades im getting in topic tests fluctuate between a*,a or b.
I dont really have an interest in a specific uni course, i have been interested in medecine but just dont think i can do it
Your best bet is to go to an open day and chat to people there, they might give you an idea. Or just read a prospectus and read the overviews and then look more into the courses you think you'd like. We can't really tell you what you'd enjoy.
Reply 5
Original post by l.mwx
Hey!
So I'm a year 13 and I take the same subjects.
the unis I've been to have basically said that because they're 3 core subjects you have good scope to go into most things, and that on top of that the degrees are over quite a wide scope so I wouldn't worry too much!

Thanks for replying! . ive been told the subjects give me good choice, hence why i chose them. The only reason im really confused is that if i wanted to pursue maths, most unis require further maths (which i dont take) 😬
Medicine or Dentistry or Engineering
Reply 7
Right now, my favourite a level is maths, i would like to carry on maths in some form, but i understand that maths at uni usually requires further maths... across the subjects, the grades im getting in topic tests fluctuate between a*,a or b.
I dont really have an interest in a specific uni course, i have been interested in medecine but just dont think i can do it

Those are great grades. Loads of options for you! You could look at medicine - why don't you think you can do it.

There are plenty of universities where you can do a maths degree without further maths. Only the top few demand it. Plus if you wanted to you could take a gap year and study further maths. Why not look through the maths degrees forum and see if anyone doing the degree without FM can give you some advice?
Reply 8
Original post by Mustafa0605
Medicine or Dentistry or Engineering

I have thought about medicine, but im quite daunted by the difficulty. 😬 engineering generally requires physics?
Biomed/ biochem?
Reply 10
I have thought about medicine, but im quite daunted by the difficulty. 😬 engineering generally requires physics?

Hey!
I've applied for medicine and have just finished my interviews, if you want an insight into the application process there is also a megaththread.
Medicine may seem daunting but if it's a toss up between that and maths you can always split your options and contact the unis with a second, mathematics based personal statement as some of my friends have done
You would also be able to study pretty much all health professional degrees - nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, operating department technician, audiology, speech therapy, diagnostic radiology etc etc etc

Or pharmacy or if you wanted something more academic then pharmacology or another life science degree. Chemistry (including forensics). Or earth science courses - environmental science, geology, planetary science, oceanography, marine biology, meteorology (although that normally prefers physics).

Or you could go into a social science direction economics or psychology both benefit from maths A level.

Think about what you enjoy reading about when you get lost on Wikipedia. What documentaries do you like to watch? What podcasts do you listen to? Following your genuine interests is never a bad plan!

Quick Reply

Latest