The Student Room Group

I’m going to uni and have no skill whatsoever. Help 😂

I’m going to uni soon to do photography I’ll be boarding there and have no social skills or study skills whatsoever

To clarify I was dealing with lots of bad stuff from ages 8-17 and hadn’t developed any social skills or learnt to study or take care of myself.

Can any uni folk give me some advise on boarding and study and taking proper care of myself away from home?
Reply 1
To be honest I’d say don’t waste potentially up to 55k on it then if your taking tuition Loan and maintenance loan! Especially for photography.. no offence you’ll do the course and end up in the same position you are prior to uni....
Original post by Ghostx
To be honest I’d say don’t waste potentially up to 55k on it then if your taking tuition Loan and maintenance loan! Especially for photography.. no offence you’ll do the course and end up in the same position you are prior to uni....

I’m uk so I don’t have to pay back my student loans but thank you
Reply 3
In regard to that I’m also in England. That’s why you should find something else because your mentality is already saying your not gonna be paying it back whatsoever within the 30 year limit... if you want to go uni for the social life then that suits you but at the end you’ll just be in the same place and with student loans that you will in small amounts pay back from your job that you could’ve had 3 years prior
Original post by Blueclueless
I’m uk so I don’t have to pay back my student loans but thank you

that's where you are wrong blueclueless. You do have to pay it back after you start earning over 21k a year. Also, you only get 5 years funded by the government and if you drop out you donr get maintenance loan if you decide to join back I think.
the loan increases so by the end of the degree you would have racked up about 75k.
OFC this isn't classed as debt but you still owe it back till 30 years after you finished the degree.
photography isn't the best degree as there isn't a demand for photographers. I know people who studied photography and ended up working in a call centre or at a minimum wage job. not really worth it. it's not a degree you would utilise. or you can join the police after but hey up to you.

you should do some research on what university sets you up for instead.
don’t understand why people are being so unnecessary here 🙄 to answer your question, i know it’s probably not the advice you wanna hear but i think your best option is just to throw yourself in at the deep end. i was in a similar position where i didn’t really know how to talk to people whatsoever and what helped me was getting a volunteer job. it was mainly interacting with adults but regardless it helped my social skills a lot. whether you decide to get a job before university or just wait til you get there is up to you, but i think as hard as it is the best thing you can do is put yourself in an uncomfortable social situation
Original post by Anonymous
that's where you are wrong blueclueless. You do have to pay it back after you start earning over 21k a year. Also, you only get 5 years funded by the government and if you drop out you donr get maintenance loan if you decide to join back I think.
the loan increases so by the end of the degree you would have racked up about 75k.
OFC this isn't classed as debt but you still owe it back till 30 years after you finished the degree.
photography isn't the best degree as there isn't a demand for photographers. I know people who studied photography and ended up working in a call centre or at a minimum wage job. not really worth it. it's not a degree you would utilise. or you can join the police after but hey up to you.

you should do some research on what university sets you up for instead.

Seeing as photography “isn’t in demand” I doubt I’ll be earning that much anyway. I was asking for advise in the uni itself and not for things like “give up” thank you anyway.
Original post by Anonymous
don’t understand why people are being so unnecessary here 🙄 to answer your question, i know it’s probably not the advice you wanna hear but i think your best option is just to throw yourself in at the deep end. i was in a similar position where i didn’t really know how to talk to people whatsoever and what helped me was getting a volunteer job. it was mainly interacting with adults but regardless it helped my social skills a lot. whether you decide to get a job before university or just wait til you get there is up to you, but i think as hard as it is the best thing you can do is put yourself in an uncomfortable social situation

Thank you! I will try it out

Quick Reply

Latest