The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry without GCSE

I want to study Zoology at univeristy. I have been advised to take Chemistry and Biology as A Levels. I am very fond of Biology and have no doubt I can get good grades in the subject. But, I haven't studied Chemistry since I was in year 10 as my new school didn't offer it at all. This means I haven't done a GCSE in it, but I have in Biology. I am planning on taking 3 years to do my A Levels and am taking them as an external student (I already have a centre for the practicals). Do you think this will be enough time to learn the subject well enough for a good grade? I only have a grade 5 in GCSE Math, will the maths in Chem A Level be too difficult for me?
I struggled with maths at GCSE and I find the maths in A Level Chem pretty straightforward. Honestly, GCSE Chem has little to do with A Level Chem, so I wouldn't worry too much. You will have to put the extra work in though. Good luck :smile:
Interested as to why the school you went to didn’t do the chemistry gcse - I’d you end up taking chemistry a-level, I would recommend self teaching (at least most of) the gcse first before starting on the alevel. Are you getting a tutor or self teaching? :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Interested as to why the school you went to didn’t do the chemistry gcse - I’d you end up taking chemistry a-level, I would recommend self teaching (at least most of) the gcse first before starting on the alevel. Are you getting a tutor or self teaching? :smile:

I go to a very small (only 6 classrooms) international school in Spain that has a very small variety of subjects- we have a teacher who loves chemistry but our headteacher told her she was only allowed to teach us Biology GCSE as he deemed it as 'more important'. He keeps trying to tell me I don't need any science A Levels to do a Science uni course, hence why I'm choosing to do external study 😂
I am going to sign up to an online site called 'Snap revise' which has interactive courses and an online tutor 😊
Original post by becky.specks
I go to a very small (only 6 classrooms) international school in Spain that has a very small variety of subjects- we have a teacher who loves chemistry but our headteacher told her she was only allowed to teach us Biology GCSE as he deemed it as 'more important'. He keeps trying to tell me I don't need any science A Levels to do a Science uni course, hence why I'm choosing to do external study 😂
I am going to sign up to an online site called 'Snap revise' which has interactive courses and an online tutor 😊

Ahhh fair enough! All the best with your studies! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest