The Student Room Group

Which uni for Law?

I got rejected from Oxford for an LLB in law and I'm between Durham (A*AA), Birmingham (CCC - unconditional) and Bristol (A*AA). I need some help!
I love love love Birmingham, but when I went to look round Durham and Bristol I was looking for philosophy so I think I liked them less because I was looking for a course I didn't actually want to do (have since changed to law).

I'm thinking that Durham might be too small and Bristol too spread out to make good friends but I've heard that they're both better for career prospects than Birmingham, particularly for law. This is the thing that concerns me most about Birmingham

I'm going to all 3 on offers holders day but wanted to know if anyone had any advice/experience of law at any of them??
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jessgdb
I got rejected from Oxford for an LLB in law and I'm between Durham (A*AA), Birmingham (CCC - unconditional) and Bristol (A*AA). I need some help!
I love love love Birmingham, but when I went to look round Durham and Bristol I was looking for philosophy so I think I liked them less because I was looking for a course I didn't actually want to do (have since changed to law).

I'm thinking that Durham might be too small and Bristol too spread out to make good friends.

I'm going to all 3 on offers holders day but wanted to know if anyone had any advice/experience of law at any of them??

Other people may comment on their impressions of the unis, my only comment is that you really do need to visit all three again and I'm sure the choice will become clearer. The cities are totally different so take into account the environment you will be living in, not just the uni itself. And don't be overly swayed by Birmingham's Attainment offer - only Firm them if you genuinely like them the best - if not, you can still Insure them at AAA
It's a matter of preference. If you like Birmingham, GO TO BIRMINGHAM. The reason why you see so many bristol, cambridge, oxford graduates for example dominating firms is not because the "firms respect and pick exclusively from these firms" but because applicants with A*AA grades for example tend to go to these universities than for example, Manchester met. Since they will meet the minimum entry requirements for an array of firms, they have already got a chance at getting a TC/job. This is not to say that an applicant from Manchester Met can't also get a job, but they often tend to have grades that may not meet the firms entry requirements. That's all! Ensure that you get the best possible a level results.
A question, why do you think bristol and durham will give better career prospects for law?
Any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by yotsr123
A question, why do you think bristol and durham will give better career prospects for law?
Any more questions just ask :smile:

from stats i've seen more bristol and durham grads getting training contracts in magic circle firms than birmingham grads. i just don't want to be at a disadvantage in comparison to oxbridge/bristol/durham
Original post by jessgdb

I'm thinking that Durham might be too small and Bristol too spread out to make good friends but I've heard that they're both better for career prospects than Birmingham, particularly for law. This is the thing that concerns me most about Birmingham

What uni in Birmingham is it that you got an offer for?
Original post by jessgdb
from stats i've seen more bristol and durham grads getting training contracts in magic circle firms than birmingham grads. i just don't want to be at a disadvantage in comparison to oxbridge/bristol/durham

Firms don't care about what university you go to.
You see more bristol and durham grads getting TC's in magic circle firms because birmingham grads are more likely to apply to regional firms whereas bristol and durham may push their students to apply to the MC, or the students there may be more willing to apply to the MC. For example oxbridge students tend to be extremely high achievers and will tend to apply to the MC more, while bham students apply less. THAT'S why in stats they're overrepresented. If you go to birmingham and apply to the MC, they will take NO look at the uni you go to. What they care about is that you meet the minimum entry requirements for their firm and your CV is great.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Cupcakes_xox

university of birmingham

It will be the actual Birmingham university

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/index.aspx
Reply 8
You see more bristol and durham grads getting TC's in magic circle firms because birmingham grads are more likely to apply to regional firms whereas bristol and durham may push their students to apply to the MC, or the students there may be more willing to apply to the MC. For example oxbridge students tend to be extremely high achievers and will tend to apply to the MC more, while bham students apply less. THAT'S why in stats they're overrepresented. If you go to birmingham and apply to the MC, they will take NO look at the uni you go to. What they care about is that you meet the minimum entry requirements for their firm and your CV is great.

ok that's really good to know thank you:smile: i'm a completely rookie when it comes to all of this
Original post by jessgdb
university of birmingham

You got an unconditional from university of Birmingham for law?

These CCC if firm offers are Birmingham's replacement for their discredited unconditional if firm offers.

They're called Attainment Offers and people are only eligible if they have a minimum of AAA predictions and excellent GCSEs

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/requirements/your-birmingham-offer.aspx
Reply 12
Original post by harrysbar
They're called Attainment Offers and people are only eligible if they have a minimum of AAA predictions and excellent GCSEs

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/requirements/your-birmingham-offer.aspx

yeah i got an attainment offer:smile::smile: so CCC

Seconded, and can confirm this.

Edit: (In case you're still deciding!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending