The Student Room Group

Can I take A Levels on seperate years?

I am planning on taking 3 years to do my A Levels- taking my AS on the 1st year, 1 A Level on the 2nd year and 2 on the 3rd. I am hoping to go to a uni in Ireland and have now seen this:

"Applicants are scored on the basis of a maximum of 4 different subject results at A and/or AS level. For scoring purposes, the following combination of A Levels and AS Levels are permitted:
The best 4 A level results in a single sitting.
The best 3 A level results in a single sitting, plus the best AS level result from the previous or the same sitting.
The best 2 A level subject results in a single sitting, plus the best 2 results at AS level from the previous or the same sitting.
The best 1 A level subject result in a single sitting, plus the best 3 results at AS level from the previous or the same sitting.
The best 4 AS level subject results in a single sitting."

Does this mean that I have to do all my A Levels in one year?
The standard length for A-levels is a two year course, with the option to take an AS exam after the first year for subjects that still provide AS qualifications (as not many do anymore, the only AS at my school is maths).

*What they are asking for is you take ALL your exams in May/June of 2020 (for example) - and also look at your AS exams you took the year before in May/June 2019*

It sound very silly to do your a-levels over three years in all honesty, it doesn't look particularly impressive as the majority of students sit the exams for three or four a-levels all at the same time. This university seems to be requiring the same thing, which isn't surprising as this is the standard expectation that everyone completes their a-levels all together. You can basically do your AS levels after one year of the course, and then your a-levels in the second year, but they do not want you to take three years.

Why do you want to take three years to do fairly easy qualifications?
Original post by becky.specks
I am planning on taking 3 years to do my A Levels- taking my AS on the 1st year, 1 A Level on the 2nd year and 2 on the 3rd. I am hoping to go to a uni in Ireland and have now seen this:

"Applicants are scored on the basis of a maximum of 4 different subject results at A and/or AS level. For scoring purposes, the following combination of A Levels and AS Levels are permitted:
The best 4 A level results in a single sitting.
The best 3 A level results in a single sitting, plus the best AS level result from the previous or the same sitting.
The best 2 A level subject results in a single sitting, plus the best 2 results at AS level from the previous or the same sitting.
The best 1 A level subject result in a single sitting, plus the best 3 results at AS level from the previous or the same sitting.
The best 4 AS level subject results in a single sitting."

Does this mean that I have to do all my A Levels in one year?

This is similar to what I have done but it hasn't really been down to choice. I wasn't able to take all my exams in Yr13 (down to extenuating circumstances) but just took 1. It would have been great if I had done all last year as it would have shortened the stress and revision. I also doubt your school will be very supportive of this methodology. Feel free to ask any questions
Original post by caitlind181
The standard length for A-levels is a two year course, with the option to take an AS exam after the first year for subjects that still provide AS qualifications (as not many do anymore, the only AS at my school is maths).

*What they are asking for is you take ALL your exams in May/June of 2020 (for example) - and also look at your AS exams you took the year before in May/June 2019*

It sound very silly to do your a-levels over three years in all honesty, it doesn't look particularly impressive as the majority of students sit the exams for three or four a-levels all at the same time. This university seems to be requiring the same thing, which isn't surprising as this is the standard expectation that everyone completes their a-levels all together. You can basically do your AS levels after one year of the course, and then your a-levels in the second year, but they do not want you to take three years.

Why do you want to take three years to do fairly easy qualifications?

I am having to do 1 a level at one school and the other two at another school as I live in Spain and the international schools here are very small and only offer a few subjects. I can do them in 2 years, it would just have been easier to be able to study at one school for two years and then the other for the last year. This just means I'm now going to have to self teach myself the subjects. Thank you for your help 😊
I am having to do 1 a level at one school and the other two at another school as I live in Spain and the international schools here are very small and only offer a few subjects. I can do them in 2 years, it would just have been easier to be able to study at one school for two years and then the other for the last year. This just means I'm now going to have to self teach myself the subjects. Thank you for your help 😊

Ah I see, I'm sure you'll be able to do it ! Online tutors are great for self-teaching as they make sure you are getting everything right x
Reply 5
Hey! I know this was months ago however, were you able to get into your desired University whilst sitting the alevels in separate years?
Original post by Mellowkkm
Hey! I know this was months ago however, were you able to get into your desired University whilst sitting the alevels in separate years?

Hi, I've ended up taking another year to do my A Levels as the uni I wanted to attend didn't look kindly on doing A Levels in separate years. I recommend contacting your desired uni and asking them just to be 100% sure ☺️
Reply 7
Hi, I've ended up taking another year to do my A Levels as the uni I wanted to attend didn't look kindly on doing A Levels in separate years. I recommend contacting your desired uni and asking them just to be 100% sure ☺️

Ah okay so are you on your third year?
Reply 8
It’s ok I think. The only one where it may be an issue is medicine. They are really weird about doing things at different times so check the sort of courses u Want to do.
I did 4 Alevels and an EPQ in year 13 and did an extra 1 A-level in my gap year (although I already had the ones I needed for my uni course) and it didn’t affect me. TBH it probably shows initiative in the subjects u really want to take. This is someone from the UK though where it’s easier to do the ones you want in one place.
Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Ed H
It’s ok I think. The only one where it may be an issue is medicine. They are really weird about doing things at different times so check the sort of courses u Want to do.
I did 4 Alevels and an EPQ in year 13 and did an extra 1 A-level in my gap year (although I already had the ones I needed for my uni course) and it didn’t affect me. TBH it probably shows initiative in the subjects u really want to take. This is someone from the UK though where it’s easier to do the ones you want in one place.
Good luck!

Hey only thing is I'm in year 13 doing two and an epq, I had one dropped forcefully so I'm stuck with those two. I've recently found unis would like three in one sitting as my plan was to do a third alevel in a third year during the gap year, my other plan is to enroll at a college to do three new alevels and repeat 2 years of sixth form oof
Reply 10
Original post by km_kmk2
Hey only thing is I'm in year 13 doing two and an epq, I had one dropped forcefully so I'm stuck with those two. I've recently found unis would like three in one sitting as my plan was to do a third alevel in a third year during the gap year, my other plan is to enroll at a college to do three new alevels and repeat 2 years of sixth form oof

same here, I intent to take two of my subjects this summer and then 1 in oct/nov later in the same year but independent from school, privately. I don't know how universities may look at this given that I've read many people on the web saying they want it done in one series altogether

Quick Reply

Latest