The Student Room Group

Best places to apply for first part time job?

I need to get my first part time job, such as retail/customer service job so I can start earning money to save for things like driving lessons etc, too many places want people who are already experienced, I've never had a job before so as you can see this is a problem for me, so where are the best places to apply for as a first job? No fast-food places please, I'm in year 12 btw if that helps with anything haha

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hira1258
I need to get my first part time job, such as retail/customer service job so I can start earning money to save for things like driving lessons etc, too many places want people who are already experienced, I've never had a job before so as you can see this is a problem for me, so where are the best places to apply for as a first job? No fast-food places please, I'm in year 12 btw if that helps with anything haha

Have you thought about working for a tuition company? e.g kumon

Mcdonalds
Why not McDonald's... are you too good for it or something?

everyone these days seems to expect to land a 50k a year management job for their first work experience.

Learn to walk before you run.
Reply 4
Original post by medscorer2020
Have you thought about working for a tuition company? e.g kumon

There aren't any vacancies for the Kumon centre near me unfortunately, thank you though! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by zombie2233
Mcdonalds

Thank you, but my only reason for not applying to mcdonalds is because I get nauseous really bad when handling meat, I'm not snobby haha
What about a cafe or a restaurant as a server?
Reply 7
Original post by Slickdave

everyone these days seems to expect to land a 50k a year management job for their first work experience.

My reason for not wanting to work at McDonalds is because I get nauseous easily when handling meat so I'd rather not work somewhere I'd want to vomit every 5 seconds with the potential of spreading germs in people's food and possibly yours unless that's what you like lol, I'm not expecting to become the CEO of a company for my first job or even get a placement at somewhere high end like John Lewis etc, so yes you'll be pleased to know I'm happily walking
Reply 8
Original post by daintydaisy
What about a cafe or a restaurant as a server?

I'll definitely look into it, thank you :smile:
Original post by Slickdave

Chill out, OP has a medical reason behind it.
Thank you, but my only reason for not applying to mcdonalds is because I get nauseous really bad when handling meat, I'm not snobby haha

That’s okay
Reply 11
tescos/morrison’s? they have non food departments that could suit someone at school
Reply 12
i agree with McDonalds. you don't have to handle meat if you work up front (counter or drive thru).

but if you're that sensitive, Subway?
Ask pubs and restaurants nearby, they may need waiters and pot washers
Reply 14
Original post by nbhdx
tescos/morrison’s? they have non food departments that could suit someone at school

Will deffo look into it, thanks
Reply 15

Original post by Joleee
i agree with McDonalds. you don't have to handle meat if you work up front (counter or drive thru).

but if you're that sensitive, Subway?

I'll take a look, thanks
Independently run places or places thought of as “low-end” (e.g primark). Retail shops which are more respectable (basically anything H&M upwards) and chain restaurants (not including fast food) are almost always going to require experience. Go for small local cafes or primark.
Reply 17
Original post by ella1902
Independently run places or places thought of as “low-end” (e.g primark). Retail shops which are more respectable (basically anything H&M upwards) and chain restaurants (not including fast food) are almost always going to require experience. Go for small local cafes or primark.

Makes a lot of sense, thank you :smile:
Reply 18

I'll take a look, thanks

Hey Hira, why not try a Call Centre - I've heard they take quite a few students!
Reply 19
Original post by .N.A.
Hey Hira, why not try a Call Centre - I've heard they take quite a few students!

That sounds like a great idea, do you know any companies that I could apply for perhaps?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending