The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University after S5???

Hi! I'm currently a student in S4 in Scotland. I'm an international student and I am planning on going to uni straight after S5 (so once I complete my highers). So I was wondering how hard it is to get into the University of Glasgow for aeronautical engineering after S5??? Any help????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All the information you require is available on the Glasgow University website. If you still have questions then you can always call up Glasgow university.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hey there, I went to Glasgow Uni at the end of S5 to study geology - best decision of my life. For me, it wasn't difficult at all. Remember that first year of university is equivalent to Advanced Highers, so the maths and physics you will be doing in first year should only be a step up, and you shouldn't struggle too much. It hasn't disadvantaged me at all having been 17, and I graduated with a first class last year! Go for it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kirsty3398
Hey there, I went to Glasgow Uni at the end of S5 to study geology - best decision of my life. For me, it wasn't difficult at all. Remember that first year of university is equivalent to Advanced Highers, so the maths and physics you will be doing in first year should only be a step up, and you shouldn't struggle too much. It hasn't disadvantaged me at all having been 17, and I graduated with a first class last year! Go for it :smile:

Thank u so much for your reply!! If you don't mind me asking: what were your grades and what subjects did you pick for highers??? Oh and also, is it difficult to make friends if you are a year younger?? Are the other students nice??
I would say focus on your subjects and get the grades you need for your preferred course, I think it is possible to go into engineering after S5 in Glasgow. AND visit the uni on open days to answer your questions about the course and uni
Reply 5
Original post by stereotypeasian
I would say focus on your subjects and get the grades you need for your preferred course, I think it is possible to go into engineering after S5 in Glasgow. AND visit the uni on open days to answer your questions about the course and uni

Thank u so much for your answer!! I have one more question (sorry for sounding so needy): how important are extra-curriculars for engineering at Glasgow??
Original post by anisha211
Thank u so much for your answer!! I have one more question (sorry for sounding so needy): how important are extra-curriculars for engineering at Glasgow??

to be honest I don't exactly know but I know that you can carry your extra curriculars into uni and make friends that way by joining clubs so you know people with similar interests. The extra curriculars you do now will prove your ability to prioritise and maintain a work life balance that is important for uni and in the future when you are , hopefully (fingers crossed), an engineer
Reply 7
Original post by stereotypeasian
to be honest I don't exactly know but I know that you can carry your extra curriculars into uni and make friends that way by joining clubs so you know people with similar interests. The extra curriculars you do now will prove your ability to prioritise and maintain a work life balance that is important for uni and in the future when you are , hopefully (fingers crossed), an engineer

ahaha thank u so much!!
ahaha thank u so much!!

good luck I hope you get in x
Reply 9
I'm not necessarily applying to Glasgow or for your degree, but I'm in a similar situation to you.

I am currently in S5 and have sent away my UCAS application (which I have now received all 3/3 conditional offers).

Since you do not have the same opportunities that those of an S6 has (e.g. head boy/head girl, prefect, etc), the University has to take that into consideration when reviewing your application. I would definitely recommend work experience and a part-time job; both of these boosted my application dramatically and I was able to tie them in to suit the requirements of my degree satisfactorily.

Definitely if you can leave by the end of S5, go for it; S6 is totally pointless if you decide to do Advanced Highers, and I would actually say that is puts you at a disadvantage to others taking the same course as you. Although first year at University tends not to matter that much, why decide to miss out on content so much more relative to you career than subjects that just act as a "stepping stone"?
Thank u so much for your reply!! If you don't mind me asking: what were your grades and what subjects did you pick for highers??? Oh and also, is it difficult to make friends if you are a year younger?? Are the other students nice??

No problem! The highers I did were Geography (A), Chemistry (A), Physics (B), Maths (B) and English (B). So I actually missed out on my conditions by one grade (conditions AAABB) but still got in. Honestly at university you've no idea how old people are, and if you don't tell people they wouldn't know. I have a March birthday so I was on the older side of my year group, so most people were only a year above or less. I had people in my class that were 27 but I'd never have guessed it! All the people were very nice and there's lots of opportunities to meet new people 😊
Reply 11
Original post by Strelzo
I'm not necessarily applying to Glasgow or for your degree, but I'm in a similar situation to you.

I am currently in S5 and have sent away my UCAS application (which I have now received all 3/3 conditional offers).

Since you do not have the same opportunities that those of an S6 has (e.g. head boy/head girl, prefect, etc), the University has to take that into consideration when reviewing your application. I would definitely recommend work experience and a part-time job; both of these boosted my application dramatically and I was able to tie them in to suit the requirements of my degree satisfactorily.

Definitely if you can leave by the end of S5, go for it; S6 is totally pointless if you decide to do Advanced Highers, and I would actually say that is puts you at a disadvantage to others taking the same course as you. Although first year at University tends not to matter that much, why decide to miss out on content so much more relative to you career than subjects that just act as a "stepping stone"?

Thank u so much for the advice!!! I'm definitely on the hunt for some work experience and I'm hoping to get a part time job once 16. And I totally agree with the idea of leaving at the end of S5...uni is just so much more relevant career-wise. Anyway thank u again!!
Reply 12
Original post by kirsty3398
No problem! The highers I did were Geography (A), Chemistry (A), Physics (B), Maths (B) and English (B). So I actually missed out on my conditions by one grade (conditions AAABB) but still got in. Honestly at university you've no idea how old people are, and if you don't tell people they wouldn't know. I have a March birthday so I was on the older side of my year group, so most people were only a year above or less. I had people in my class that were 27 but I'd never have guessed it! All the people were very nice and there's lots of opportunities to meet new people 😊

Wow your grades are amazing!! Thank u so much for the reply
Thank u so much for the advice!!! I'm definitely on the hunt for some work experience and I'm hoping to get a part time job once 16. And I totally agree with the idea of leaving at the end of S5...uni is just so much more relevant career-wise. Anyway thank u again!!

No worries :^_^:.

Yeah, I definitely recommend it; really good to see on an applicant's application.

Good luck with your examinations btw ;thumbsup:. Best piece of advice for Higher I could give you is don't think instantly assume that you are not set out for the course content; I done the same thing at the beginning, acknowledging how much of a massive jump it was, and let that overcome me. However, as the weeks go on you will start to settle in and really adapt to the subjects.

I just completed my Higher prelims and was nowhere near as confident as I usually am for tests; I had no time to study for them due to focusing solely on creating a solid UCAS application. Got my results back for all 5 of my prelims and received 4 A's and 1 B, which is amazing for not being able to study lol, so I am pretty confident that I should be going to University on the 31st August 2020. Can't wait to be honest; it sounds absolutely brilliant.
Reply 14
Original post by Strelzo
No worries :^_^:.

Yeah, I definitely recommend it; really good to see on an applicant's application.

Good luck with your examinations btw ;thumbsup:. Best piece of advice for Higher I could give you is don't think instantly assume that you are not set out for the course content; I done the same thing at the beginning, acknowledging how much of a massive jump it was, and let that overcome me. However, as the weeks go on you will start to settle in and really adapt to the subjects.

I just completed my Higher prelims and was nowhere near as confident as I usually am for tests; I had no time to study for them due to focusing solely on creating a solid UCAS application. Got my results back for all 5 of my prelims and received 4 A's and 1 B, which is amazing for not being able to study lol, so I am pretty confident that I should be going to University on the 31st August 2020. Can't wait to be honest; it sounds absolutely brilliant.

Wow those grades are amazing!! Thank u so so much for your advice. I definitely am a bit scared as my Higher grades will essentially decide my future ahaha. But I think I'll be able to push through and definitely get the grades that I want :smile:. Sorry for the ongoing questions but what universities did you apply to and for what course?? I'm just curious aha
Wow those grades are amazing!! Thank u so so much for your advice. I definitely am a bit scared as my Higher grades will essentially decide my future ahaha. But I think I'll be able to push through and definitely get the grades that I want :smile:. Sorry for the ongoing questions but what universities did you apply to and for what course?? I'm just curious aha

Thanks. :smile:

No worries, and I guarantee that you will do well if you put the work in; it certainly seems like you're a motivated student.

I've applied to 3 universities (I would have applied to more but there aren't much options in Scotland for cyber security courses, that are actually worthwhile (and I certainly ain't moving elsewhere to have tuition fees quadrupled when they are paid off for free by SAAS :lol:)) and received conditional offers from all of them: Abertay University's "BSc (Hons) Ethical Hacking" degree course (Firm choice) (I was ecstatic when I received this offer, because it is such a good course and the student life looks brilliant); Edinburgh Napier University's "BEng Cybersecurity & Forensics" degree course (Insurance choice) and Glasgow Caledonian University's "BSc (Hons) Cyber Security and Networks" degree course.
Hi! I'm currently a student in S4 in Scotland. I'm an international student and I am planning on going to uni straight after S5 (so once I complete my highers). So I was wondering how hard it is to get into the University of Glasgow for aeronautical engineering after S5??? Any help????

It's definitely possible to get into engineering courses straight from S5 :yep: My brother applied to unis including Glasgow for engineering (not aerospace) and got conditionals from all his choices. Now he's there, he's finding it's quite a step up, as having not done AHs, he's not got the same advantage of having already covered a lot of the first year content (there's quite a bit of overlap). He's having to work hard, but it was definitely the right decision for him and he's enjoying it. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Labrador99
It's definitely possible to get into engineering courses straight from S5 :yep: My brother applied to unis including Glasgow for engineering (not aerospace) and got conditionals from all his choices. Now he's there, he's finding it's quite a step up, as having not done AHs, he's not got the same advantage of having already covered a lot of the first year content (there's quite a bit of overlap). He's having to work hard, but it was definitely the right decision for him and he's enjoying it. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank u for the answer!! But I was told that whatever you get taught during your first year at uni is the same as what u get taught at advanced higher level??? just slightly more harder (but only slightly)??
Reply 18
Original post by Strelzo
Thanks. :smile:

No worries, and I guarantee that you will do well if you put the work in; it certainly seems like you're a motivated student.

I've applied to 3 universities (I would have applied to more but there aren't much options in Scotland for cyber security courses, that are actually worthwhile (and I certainly ain't moving elsewhere to have tuition fees quadrupled when they are paid off for free by SAAS :lol:)) and received conditional offers from all of them: Abertay University's "BSc (Hons) Ethical Hacking" degree course (Firm choice) (I was ecstatic when I received this offer, because it is such a good course and the student life looks brilliant); Edinburgh Napier University's "BEng Cybersecurity & Forensics" degree course (Insurance choice) and Glasgow Caledonian University's "BSc (Hons) Cyber Security and Networks" degree course.

ahaha thank u!!! i was just curious but those are really good unis. i was talking to the careers advisor at my school and she got me all stressed cuz she said that it is cery rare for students to leave after S5 and because I'll be really young, the uni might reject me. idk anymore to be honest but i hope all goes well!!
ahaha thank u!!! i was just curious but those are really good unis. i was talking to the careers advisor at my school and she got me all stressed cuz she said that it is cery rare for students to leave after S5 and because I'll be really young, the uni might reject me. idk anymore to be honest but i hope all goes well!!

I wouldn't say it's rare, it's just the fact that most people don't achieve the required grades that quick so apply in S6.

They can't simply reject you because of your age. That's some bad advice you've been given there :lol: (and exactly why I stopped going to appointments with the careers advisor. I knew halfway through S3 what I wanted to do, yet they still kept bringing up college and apprenticeships, even though I insistently pointed out that, that is not what I want to do). You will be treated like every other applicant, except they will give you extra consideration because you do not have the opportunities that those in S6 have.

I'm sure you'll do great, good luck with your exams. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending