The Student Room Group

Notes or Flashcards?

i have Year 10 mocks in two weeks, i have no idea how to revise Science. The next assessment will decide if we do Triple/separate Science or Double/Combined Science.
What does everyone suggest i do to revise? i'm desperate to do Triple higher Science!

also, does Triple foundation science exist?
It depends on what type of learner you are. If you are more of a visual learner, diagrams and videos will be good for revision; if you are more of a practical learner, past paper will be better for you. Triple foundation exists but you can only get the maximum of a 5 so combined science is better but you need to do higher instead of combined science foundation
Original post by FantasyAngel
i have Year 10 mocks in two weeks, i have no idea how to revise Science. The next assessment will decide if we do Triple/separate Science or Double/Combined Science.
What does everyone suggest i do to revise? i'm desperate to do Triple higher Science!

yes, triple science foundation exists but it's not worth it tbh I strongly recommend that you do combined higher instead. For triple science foundation, you essentially learning extra more "complex" content only to find out that the maximum grade you can get is a 5 (and you will need more marks to get a 5 in foundation vs higher), higher combined you still learning more content except for this time you can get up to a 9!! and it's easier to get a 5 hope this helps. so yeah do either triple science higher or combined higher. not good at advice lol other people on TSR will be able to give you better advice
Original post by PetitePanda
It depends on what type of learner you are. If you are more of a visual learner, diagrams and videos will be good for revision; if you are more of a practical learner, past paper will be better for you. Triple foundation exists but you can only get the maximum of a 5 so combined science is better but you need to do higher instead of combined science foundation

i completely agree posted the same idea seconds after you lol
T

Original post by PetitePanda

Thank you, i appreciate it! I wouldn't want to do Triple foundation, i jus wasn't sure if it even existed. :wink:.
how do i know what type of learner i am?
both, have some fun and change it about so you aren't tired of revising
Original post by 1st superstar
yes, triple science foundation exists but it's not worth it tbh I strongly recommend that you do combined higher instead. For triple science foundation, you essentially learning extra more "complex" content only to find out that the maximum grade you can get is a 5 (and you will need more marks to get a 5 in foundation vs higher), higher combined you still learning more content except for this time you can get up to a 9!! and it's easier to get a 5 hope this helps. so yeah do either triple science higher or combined higher. not good at advice lol other people on TSR will be able to give you better advice

Thank you! Triple foundation seems pointless, but i am really keen on doing Triple Higher.i don't get to choose, it's based on our grades
T

Thank you, i appreciate it! I wouldn't want to do Triple foundation, i jus wasn't sure if it even existed. :wink:.
how do i know what type of learner i am?

Just try some of the techiniques for a period of time and switch it up to see what kind of learner you are. Or you could do a test/quiz sort of thing if it works
Thank you! Triple foundation seems pointless, but i am really keen on doing Triple Higher.i don't get to choose, it's based on our grades

Then you go and get good grades so you can do triple higher good luck 😁
Then you go and get good grades so you can do triple higher good luck 😁

haha! hopefully i will, i have so little time to revise and i don't even know how to :smile: hopefully, this does go well!
i have to revise chapter 1-4 for chemistry, 1-3 for Physics and 1-5 for biology.
i am going to need a lot of Luck!
haha! hopefully i will, i have so little time to revise and i don't even know how to :smile: hopefully, this does go well!
i have to revise chapter 1-4 for chemistry, 1-3 for Physics and 1-5 for biology.
i am going to need a lot of Luck!

What grade do you need to get in order to do triple or combined higher at your school?
What grade do you need to get in order to do triple or combined higher at your school?

they haven't told us, unfortunately. it's quite annoying how unorganised they are as a school
Obviously it depends which kind of learner you are, but evidence has shown generally flashcards (i.e testing yourself) are more effective than note-taking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22565912
(edited 4 years ago)
they haven't told us, unfortunately. it's quite annoying how unorganised they are as a school

Aim for like a 6-7 then (or high 5 if your doing fondation)?

A website called physics and maths tutor helps- it has notes and flashcards the most exam boards and follows the specification.
Generally, I like flashcards as it helps to process and recall info so I’m more able to remember it. It might seem time taking to make it all but u can use the flashcards on Physics and Maths tutor to make ur own so it saves time if you’re really in a rush.
Sometimes on topics I really don’t know, making notes help to understand the info, then making flashcards from my notes help me to process and remember the info.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Aim for like a 6-7 then (or high 5 if your doing fondation)?

I did army mocks on triple and achieved a 6a in physics 4a in bio and 4c in chem.
Do u think I should drop down to combined or work hard on triple. So people tell me triple is only slightly different others tell me it’s not. I’m really confused. P.S i was 2marks of a 7 for physics and bio.
Original post by Alpha22888
I did army mocks on triple and achieved a 6a in physics 4a in bio and 4c in chem.
Do u think I should drop down to combined or work hard on triple. So people tell me triple is only slightly different others tell me it’s not. I’m really confused. P.S i was 2marks of a 7 for physics and bio.

Idk tbh do what you want (however maybe you should sick on triple and work hard if you plan on doing any of the sciences as an A-level or BTEC?) Also @Hazelly any advice?

Quick Reply