The Student Room Group

Physics and Maths tutor or CGP revision guide?

I'm currently studying biology a level at year 13 and i have 5 months left until my exams. When i do class tests i get B's consistently while knowing the CGP revision guide inside out. I have seen the notes on physics and maths tutor and it seems to be really in detailed compared to the CGP revision guide. I dont know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, as it could just be wasting my time with facts i do not need to know. I dont know whether to change or not? Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by qwery010
look at the spec

Im just asking for anyone with experience of trying CGP and an alternative of CGP, and how it worked out for them.
I love physics and maths tutor as it allows you to do practice exam style questions which I do and then use the mark scheme to see where I missed out on marks. This really helped me
Just knowing the content is not enough. I am assuming the cgp revision guides just give you the facts you need to know since it is only a revision guide not a textbook.

I guess the physics and maths tutor notes may be good to look at if you feel you dont understand something but since it is detailed notes you may find it hard to process without writing it in your own words.

The best way is through practice questions (the mark scheme tells you what points the examiners are looking for)
Reply 4
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Just knowing the content is not enough. I am assuming the cgp revision guides just give you the facts you need to know since it is only a revision guide not a textbook.

I guess the physics and maths tutor notes may be good to look at if you feel you dont understand something but since it is detailed notes you may find it hard to process without writing it in your own words.

The best way is through practice questions (the mark scheme tells you what points the examiners are looking for)

Ohh okay thanks so much, so when I have learnt the content it is best to do practice questions on physics and maths tutor and that’s the best way to get a’s ?
Original post by Azotic
I'm currently studying biology a level at year 13 and i have 5 months left until my exams. When i do class tests i get B's consistently while knowing the CGP revision guide inside out. I have seen the notes on physics and maths tutor and it seems to be really in detailed compared to the CGP revision guide. I dont know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, as it could just be wasting my time with facts i do not need to know. I dont know whether to change or not? Any help would be much appreciated.

I can't comment on Biology, but I have had students bring along CGP books for Chemistry and Physics, and I personally don't feel they go into as much (needed) detail as some other texts.
As you complete a topic and move onto the next, i would recommend doing the questions by topic from the physics and maths tutor website. Since i don't do biology i am not too sure how much content is in the specification (although i have heard there is a lot of content).

Personally, i think by doing the questions by topic will allow you to identify your area of weaknesses for that specific topic. As a result, you can save more time as you will spend less time revising that topic as you will have pinpointed where there are gaps in your knowledge given that exam season is getting close now.
Hey, I find it most useful to know the CGP textbook inside out but also do as many exam questions as humanly possible.
Hey im in year 12 and have had the same issue. What I did was rely on the cgp book completely for notes and do all questions from pmt. Just revising the content isn't enough whatever revision guide you do because the questions that they throw at you are very specific and you need to familiar yourself with the style so revise from cgp and then do pmt questions. Im an straight a student in bio and this is what I do. Hope this helps.
Reply 9
Original post by CurryCurry2468
As you complete a topic and move onto the next, i would recommend doing the questions by topic from the physics and maths tutor website. Since i don't do biology i am not too sure how much content is in the specification (although i have heard there is a lot of content).

Personally, i think by doing the questions by topic will allow you to identify your area of weaknesses for that specific topic. As a result, you can save more time as you will spend less time revising that topic as you will have pinpointed where there are gaps in your knowledge given that exam season is getting close now.

ok

Latest